OT where have all the good games gone?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sardaukar

RE: OT where have all the good games gone?

Post by Sardaukar »

Command:Modern Air and Naval Operations is great, especially if you liked Harpoon series.

Combat Mission series is great for WW II tactical gaming.

Give a try to Tigers on the Hunt, turn-based WWII tactical game: tt.asp?forumid=1566 It definitely has that Advanced Squad Leader feeling.

Silent Hunter 3 and 4 are great with mods and work on Win 7 to 10 just fine.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Just want to take the opportunity to promote three games that are pretty damn awesome despite not being war games.

- Kerbal Space program.
- The Long Dark.
- Wasteland 2.

KSP and TLD are both very innovative and fresh. Wasteland 2 is basically a must for anyone that thinks Fallout 2 is one of the best games ever made.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Just want to take the opportunity to promote three games that are pretty damn awesome despite not being war games.

- Kerbal Space program.
- The Long Dark.
- Wasteland 2.

KSP and TLD are both very innovative and fresh. Wasteland 2 is basically a must for anyone that thinks Fallout 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Another shout out for KSP. I played it a bunch on Thanksgiving. As technical and fiddly as most AEers are, it should really appeal. When I was a kid my brother got the Erector Set for Christmas and I got books. KSP is like the ultimate Erector Set. Plus explosions.
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

On the suggestion of the Moose (whose judgment I trust), a month or two back I watched a 45-minute video by some science/physics prodigy playing KSB. To me it looked like the most boring activity ever devised by mankind for man. But that's coming from a guy who enjoys birdwatching, stamp collecting, and reading maps (which, in turn, are activities that put most of mankind to sleep).

To each his own. (Or, as Appalachian backpackers are fond of saying, "Hike your own hike.")
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Some recent games I recommend:

- Buzz Aldrin Space Program: this might be the dumbed down version of KSP, but it has a very realistic feel to the space race

- Scourge of War Waterloo: This is an accurate, tactical war game, sort of like Total war, but with a realistic mode that lacks "helicopter view" or having to send your orders by aide-de-camp; so that there is a lag between when you order something and when something happens

- Mount& Blade Warband: or maybe wait for Bannerlord, this is one of the few success histories of a talented, independent developer building something that is not a clone of a blockbuster game

- Age of Decadence:
- Pillars of Eternity:
These two are similar to Wastelands II, Age of Decandence is a RPG in a brutal post apocalypse roman empire universe, really amazing, harsh game with an interesting story. Pillars of Eternity is more D&Dish

- Tyranny: another classic RPG; it was recently launched, and I haven't played it yet, but reviews are good
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

On the suggestion of the Moose (whose judgment I trust), a month or two back I watched a 45-minute video by some science/physics prodigy playing KSB. To me it looked like the most boring activity ever devised by mankind for man. But that's coming from a guy who enjoys birdwatching, stamp collecting, and reading maps (which, in turn, are activities that put most of mankind to sleep).

To each his own. (Or, as Appalachian backpackers are fond of saying, "Hike your own hike.")

See, there's your problem. KSB IS a snore. KSP? Sublime. [:'(]
The Moose
szmike

Post by szmike »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
- Scourge of War Waterloo: This is an accurate, tactical war game, sort of like Total war, but with a realistic mode that lacks "helicopter view" or having to send your orders by aide-de-camp; so that there is a lag between when you order something and when something happens

Unfortunately the UI is terrible. That's another game with amazing concept which trips on the execution. Too bad SM's Gettysburg is still the best of a kind, with Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle coming second imho.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Orbiter Space Flight Simulator 2016 Edition

Fed up with space games that insult your intelligence and violate every law of physics? Orbiter is a simulator that gives you an idea what space flight really feels like - today and in the not so distant future. And best of all: free!

Recently update and the mods are catching up

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Moose-

Great to hear from you!

Am currently reading "Cold War Submarines" by Polmar and Moore. Absolutely First Class. It is a delight to know someone who actually served onboard a SSN. Would you please remind me which boat you served on? I was on two ASW Frigates- FF 1093 USS Capadanno, and the USS Bowen FF 1079.

Also just bought "I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft Carrying Strike Submarine: Objective Panama Canal" (Henry Sakaida, Gary Nila and Koji Takaki". Beautifully illustrated and well written

Currently playing Command Air and Naval Ops- and having a blast. Trust all is well with one of my favorite Bubble Heads...

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

- Kerbal Space program.
- The Long Dark.
- Wasteland 2.

JocMeister-

Am glad to hear your comments about Wasteland 2. I have it, but have been focused on Fallout 4 (have played them all). Will get back to WL2.

Am off five days as the schools are closed for Thanksgiving; life is good,

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Moose-

Great to hear from you!

Am currently reading "Cold War Submarines" by Polmar and Moore. Absolutely First Class. It is a delight to know someone who actually served onboard a SSN. Would you please remind me which boat you served on? I was on two ASW Frigates- FF 1093 USS Capadanno, and the USS Bowen FF 1079.

Also just bought "I-400 Japan's Secret Aircraft Carrying Strike Submarine: Objective Panama Canal" (Henry Sakaida, Gary Nila and Koji Takaki". Beautifully illustrated and well written

Currently playing Command Air and Naval Ops- and having a blast. Trust all is well with one of my favorite Bubble Heads...

Mac

Hey, Mac.

SSBN. USS Stonewall Jackson SSBN 634 (G).

I did an NJROTC 2-day familiarization cruise on USS Elmer Montgomery. Same class I think. We went up to Bloodsworth Island in the northern Chesapeake Bay and hammered it with the 5 in gun in night gunnery practice. 1974-75 era.
The Moose
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Hi Fred-

Have Wish Listed "Saving MacArthur" to my Amazon account; will read both you books

Have just finished "Supreme Commander: MacArthur's Triumph in Japan" by Seymour Morris. Focused on MacArthur's government of Occupied Japan, a very different view of his extraordinary accomplishments. I was aware that he was "Supreme Commander", and as such did much to rehabilitate and reshape Japan; but was unaware of the magnitude of the changes he was able to implement- for the good.

Also: I have the original discs for SH4 (and the Wolf Pack Expansion); but it will not play. Contacted UbiSoft help desk, they were unable to help, so gave me SH5 instead. I did buy SH4 on Steam, and am aware of the patching limitations.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Moose-

Great to hear from you!

Mac

Hey, Mac.

SSBN. USS Stonewall Jackson SSBN 634 (G).

I did an NJROTC 2-day familiarization cruise on USS Elmer Montgomery. Same class I think. We went up to Bloodsworth Island in the northern Chesapeake Bay and hammered it with the 5 in gun in night gunnery practice. 1974-75 era.

Hi Moose-

Thanks for the information! The USS Elmer Montgomery was very similar to Capadanno. Despite fin stabilization (at least in Capadanno), I do hope you sub surface types were not too affected by all that yawing and pitching...<grin>

This Picture was taken of the Capadanno's 5/54 Mk42 Mod 9 (Mod 9 indicated a light fiberglass weather shield instead of the Mod 10 Grade B armored gunhouse on DD's) in 1983; I left Capadanno in 1979 IIRC for shore duty.

The Mk42 has long been replaced by the Mk45- which has a much lower manning requirement (but slower rate of fire- only one loading cradle). Sigh. The Good Old Days...

And: I am undecided between Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher III and Age of Decadence. All have good reviews; am asking here because the opinions of my Trusted AE Companions carry a lot of weight...

Regardless, the design, development and production of our SSN fleet and associated missiles is absolutely fascinating. I have nothing but respect for the crews (of all sides) who served.

Surface Skimmer Mac

P.S. And Damn! It still gives me a thrill to see a Five Inch in action...!

Attachments
Capadanno1983.jpg
Capadanno1983.jpg (166.45 KiB) Viewed 96 times
LAV-25 2147
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't know. I think Desert Bus has to take the crown for the most boring activity ever

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/desert-bus-the-very-worst-video-game-ever-created
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

I've said it before in thus forum but I really like "To end all wars". I know AGEOD games are not for everyone but to me that game is a true gem. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in world war 1.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Somebody is working on a documentary about Pershing. It's about time.

John B.

Post by John B. »

I wish there was a good operational/strategic WWIII game and Napoleonic game. I've been spoiled by WiTPAE but at least it's there.

I was on the beta team for the new strategic command game and I was very impressed by how the developers were looking for feed back and incorporating ideas into new iterations of the game. I bought the new one and I've enjoyed it thus far. It's not down to the squad level historic like WiTPAE but I think it's very good.

I also have the DC Barbarossa. I played the DC for Poland and France and liked the systems. It's only operational and it does have cards but the cards are not game altering but provide historic alternatives. I have booted up DC Barbarossa and it's really a different experience. Before the game even started I got a letter from Himmler noting that I had not yet joined the Nazi party and surely that was a minor detail that I needed to take care of. Do I (a) say "ef you Himmler" and not join thus making him mad and my campaign in the east harder or (b) be a good little toady and sign up knowing that will make my game decisions easier down the line. IMHO it's a different experience than the typical war game and I like it.
John Barr
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: robinsa

I've said it before in thus forum but I really like "To end all wars". I know AGEOD games are not for everyone but to me that game is a true gem. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in world war 1.

robinsa- "To End All Wars" is very enjoyable. It has been a while, but I will eventually fire it up and continue my campaign.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
szmike

Post by szmike »

You could always play boardgames online/PBEM via Vassal or Cyberboard and ACTS

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”