How can I create a new fighter unit with Yak-1?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

MrBlizzard

How can I create a new fighter unit with Yak-1?

Post by MrBlizzard »

November 1941, Soviet side. When I try to create a new fighter unit the window shows only Mig-3 for choices.
I have more than 400 in pool but in a month they will be out of production so I'd like to use Yak-1 (or Lagg-3) to form new units, is it possible? how?
Thanks
Blizzard
821Bobo

RE: How can I create a new fighter unit with Yak-1?

Post by 821Bobo »

When you create new air unit only the most numerous frame in pool can by chosen.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

Thanks for answer, this is not a good news indeed.[:(]
In a month the mig-3 pool will shrink and I'll have to convert all new air squadron in a new model expending 1AP each and loosing some exp point in the process.
I'll wait some turns to create new squadrons.
Blizzard
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

If you allow automatic upgrade the computer can switch aircraft type for free.
Brakes are for cowards !!
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Usually I upgrade high exp Ratas to Yaks and use LaGGs for new groups. You should have tons of them in pool.
morvael

Post by morvael »

MrBlizzard, you should be fine with auto upgrades. The game selects best candidates taking into account current needs, current pool, obsolete status and future production. Players tend to be more aggressive, so if you like to micromanage and have spare AP to spend fell free to adjust manually (basically new air groups were made cheaper to build than planned, to accomodate the 1 AP cost to switch to player preferred plane type). If not, you should still be fine, with newer types slowly replacing the old types.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Personnaly i find the automatic upgrade for air group very good.
But i'am disapointed by the "upgrade only" option which do not switch model.

Upgrade only will not convert mig-3 to yak-1 for example. Full automatic upgrade will.

I was frightened that with full automatic upgrade, my tactical bombers would be all downgraded to UV-2 night biplane tactical bomber. But it do not happen.
So cheer for full automatic !!!
Brakes are for cowards !!
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

I wouldn't be so sure that auto upgrade won't actually downgrade. I've seen German KGs downgrade to Ju-86 due to the lack of modern frames on GC start.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Stelteck, "upgrades" to U-2 VS are blocked on full auto. Because it's one way trip :)

Sometimes you want your Ju-87 groups to stay on Ju-87 or the like, hence upgrade only option. It can go only along plane upgrade path.
morvael

Post by morvael »

821Bobo, yes, downgrades are possible, but I'm not sure if only in full auto or in upgrade only as well (they shouldn't).
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: morvael

MrBlizzard, you should be fine with auto upgrades. The game selects best candidates taking into account current needs, current pool, obsolete status and future production. Players tend to be more aggressive, so if you like to micromanage and have spare AP to spend fell free to adjust manually (basically new air groups were made cheaper to build than planned, to accomodate the 1 AP cost to switch to player preferred plane type). If not, you should still be fine, with newer types slowly replacing the old types.

I like to micromanage also aviation and I had some problems with auto-updates so I'll be fine to spend the discount price of 1 AP [;)]

Example of Auto-update problems:
I had some squadrons downgraded back to I-16 after that I had spent 1AP to convert them to better models.
I had also some SU-2 auto-upgraded to IL-2. The problem was that I was forced to transfer Il-2 factories in a hurry when Germans arrived near Voronezh, so they had 99% of damage and production was stopped. I'd rather remain with su-2

Now I'm fine with every squadron put to "Manual" or "upgrade only".
No more Auto-update, this flexibility of the game is nice [:)]
Blizzard
morvael

Post by morvael »

Sure, if you spend AP for some units, then keep them on manual afterwards, not auto (upgrade is not bad too). The game tries not to overload types, and manual assignment creates overloads (read aggressive pool utilization) which the game tries to fix as soon as possible. So either full auto or manual (per type). I tend to keep fighters, tac bombers and transports on manual/upgrade only, while level bombers and recon on auto.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”