Help with Italy/Malta

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

sveint

Help with Italy/Malta

Post by sveint »

Is it possible to take Malta for the Axis? How would this be achieved?

I tested bombing with air and the Italian navy, but the only effect seems to be to take casaulties.

I skimmed the manual, but the numbers that appear when attacking the lone anti-air unit (shouldn't it take more damage from the attacks?) are still a mystery.

Solaristics

RE: Help with Italy/Malta

Post by Solaristics »

I bombed it for a few turns with 2 or 3 tactical and medium bombers from Sicily, and hit is with battleships at the same time. Eventually the air defence units dies. I then dropped the paratroopers on it. Job done, on to Cairo.
Goodmongo

Post by Goodmongo »

Yes it's very possible but will take planning and a committed effort of the entire Italian navy plus 4 bomber groups. Key is you need to get the port down to zero supply and LEAVE some ships next to it so it can't rebuild up. It takes one turn to get supply down and some losses on the unit there. Then another turn or two to completely destroy the unit in there. Then just assault transport a unit from Sicily or drop paras onto it. Replace with a garrison unit via standard transport.

Key is it takes a real effort and when combined with moving the units to from their staging area it will take around 6 turns total to move there, bomb shell the island, capture it and then move the units to other fronts. And the operate costs of strategic movement can be high, especially since this is a key buildup point in time.
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

What you need is a german HQ, 3 or 4 bomber units (preferable tac air or at least med bombers).
If you trust the Italian Navy, you can use a corps for an amphib invasion. Once the corps has turned into an amphib unit, this unit can once fire on the target before it invaded. These hits often kill 2 - 3 strength points. You can use your Italian Navy for shore bombardements, but I wouldn't recommend it. They will to often suffer damages while firing.
If you don't trust the navy, use a german para unit to drop into the empty island once the defenders are gone. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 turns, but comes with a price (movement of the HQ and air units, and more or less your entire air forces will be chained to this operation).
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You can do it without a HQ in just two turns. On normal anyway [:)]

The Italian navy bombs the two ports at Malta to reduce then to 2 or less. Once that is done, bomb the defensive unit with the rest as that does reduce its effectiveness. And you may get lucky and kill 1 or 2 points. If you kill 2+ with the navy then it will only take 1 turn to take it [:)]

Then have the bombers attack. I brought all the ones I started with down there along with the two para's (just to be safe [:)]). The para's have to be on Sicily to reach Malta. I put a German Army in Amph mode just to provide some extra damage if needed. Turns out I did not need it.

If the unit dies on the first turn you are golden, just drop the para and you are done.

Regardless of what happens on the first turn, you are guaranteed to take it on the second turn. Since by reducing the ports you limit the amount of replacements the unit can get.

Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

Do the ships have to be adjacent to the two ports to get the supply down (or even block all "exits"), or is it enough to just have two ships adjacent to Malta itself to get the supply down turn by turn?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I have no idea as I just surround the island with ships and that seems to work fine [:)]
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

Lol ... but it still would be good to know whether the ports must be blocked specifically or not. :-)
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Yes, simply positioning a ship adjacent to the two ports will prevent them from providing supply.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Yes, simply positioning a ship adjacent to the two ports will prevent them from providing supply.

Thanks, that's good to know. I watched the letsplay from "paradogs gamer" and he seemed to have severe problems with that. I noticed him having his ships stationed all around Malta - except the ports.
balto

Post by balto »

On page 58 of the manual it specifically mentions Malta when explaining the Amphib Invasion mechanic. Apparently the Amphib Transport can ATTACK the defender. So in the example above if you bomb it down to a 2 or 3, I wonder if that is enough and you can just attack with the Amphib transport and be done? You do not have to hang around for the garrison to be totally destroyed?

Again, I need to start playing this. 10 more pages of The Manual reading to go and I am diving in as the Allies in 1939.
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

I've read that too, but I guess the attack values of amphib units can't be that great. Also, it's more safe to destroy the unit with bombers and then drop paras from Sicily.

The main problem for most players seems to be that they don't know how to keep the supply level of Malta down so that the AA unit will not always repair damage.

For this Bill has confirmed that ships have to be placed adjacent to the ports.

Apart from that the ships should probably do nothing. Even though it might seem counterintuitive to bomb an AA unit with planes, this seems to be far superior to shore bombardment.
Petiloup

Post by Petiloup »

Very easily in fact... much too easily.

Just use your diplomacy from Italy and Germany on Spain, once Spain is part of the Axis then take Gibraltar.

Then just move more amphibious units and the Italian navy to Malta and it will fall rapidly. The AI is quite bad at managing the unexpected.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Well, I didn't start working on Spain diplomatically until late 1940, as I didn't realize how strong diplomacy is in this game. So I don't own Gibraltar. I am having trouble taking Malta.

People keep saying to position a ship adjacent to the two ports. One ship is enough, then? One in the hex touching both ports?

My problem is that a British CV is roaming the Med uncontested, and every time I put a BB on that magical hex, the CV blows it out of the water. I've stationed a fighter on Sicily to try to provide air cover, but it wasn't enough; I'm moving a second fighter in now. Those of you who just move the Italian navy to Malta: how do you counter the enemy aircraft carrier?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Not only the Italian navy ... I'll post this screen shot again :

Attachments
SC3a73.jpg
SC3a73.jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 129 times
ataquerojo

Post by ataquerojo »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Not only the Italian navy ... I'll post this screen shot again :

Hi, where did you get these plane's counters??
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Hi, where did you get these plane's counters??
I made them myself. I would gladly give them to you, but they are included with others that wouldn't apply to your game. You could cut them out of my set and paste them into yours. If you know how to do this, or want to learn, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Wow. So lots and lots of German aircraft! So the fighters provide air cover for the BB, which occupies the hex between the two parts? The bombers wear down and kill the defending AA unit? And then you send in the paratroops?

Hmm. I don't think I've built enough fighters.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Hmm. I don't think I've built enough fighters.

That screen shot was from a long time ago, but I seem to remember that I didn't purchase any additional air units. This is from after France, and the Germans get one or two units as reinforcements early in the game.

You've got the idea, but I usually put the Italian sub in between the ports, because if lost it is cheaper to replace. The way the game mechanics are, your BB's can run in and knock Malta to zero supply, then head back to safe ports [;)]

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”