Add your scenario to TOAW4!

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
BeirutDude

RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4!

Post by BeirutDude »

I designed a lot of scenarios for all of the previous versions, How can I help? I can't get into my version of TOAW III anymore as my Key doesn't seem to work, but I think I have the scenarios backed up. Things like Chinese Farm 73, etc. So how can I help?

Al Sandrik
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Trick37_MatrixForum

Post by Trick37_MatrixForum »

How about all previous scenarios, including those developed by others?
Custer7

Post by Custer7 »

Good day.

Not sure if there is a deadline. I have been working on a modification of Tim McBride's Operation Roundup 1943 with version III w/current updates. It is reworked enough that it is completely different. But I would rather have his input too. I am not sure how to reach him. Just found him in the forum and send a message a minute ago. It was originally a play by email only. I have been working on the PO for both sides. I would say it needs some tweaking, but as is it can be challenging at times vs the PO. Needs more consistency in how the Axis units are named, not so great with the German keyboard set up. The OOB is updated as the internet allowed me to find pieces here and there. I was wondering how far things are along on version IV submissions. Thank you.

Marc J. Custer
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I was wondering how far things are along on version IV submissions
Steve Sill, Thomas Harvey and I are all working on next version scenario's. We're playtesting them to find all the little bugs before they
get released in the wild. My B41 mod isn't working just right and probably won't make the release date. Depends. Yeah, we've been
playtesting for a long time now. 8 months or more. There was a new version of the game engine released just an hour ago. I'm using
it already. Ralph is on the ball lately.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

Hey Larry,

Will there be a fair amount of smaller scenarios in addition to the monsters like FITE? I remember a small Grenada scenario from ACOW that took only about an hour to work through, sometimes a quicky is a good thing!
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: FF_1079
Hey Larry,

Will there be a fair amount of smaller scenarios in addition to the monsters like FITE? I remember a small Grenada scenario from ACOW that took only about an hour to work through, sometimes a quicky is a good thing!

Well, it depends on what you consider "playable". All of the classic scenario's have been converted to the new version but they
haven't all been playtested to see if something broke with the scenario. So you can play it sure, but it might not have the same
balance, or the events might need adjusting, or you know, some small tweak might need to be applied. There's a new scheme to
handle the theater recon value for both sides. Things like that. Plus those scenario's that have a significant number of ships in
them might need balancing since the ships really act like ships now instead of just floating arty. The Grenada scenario is one
that I have powered up some years ago but I don't remember anything special about it that would have something broken just by a
new version. I'd have to take a look at the events to make sure but it sounds like it might be good to go right out of the box.
The only way to make sure is play it.

EDIT: The parts of the above paragraph that describe what needs to be done to a scenario to convert it to the new version has
been done to all the classic scenario's. So right out of the box is the new version already fixed up for the new version.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Hi Marc,
I am looking at your scenario...I think it would make a nice addition to TOAW IV
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: FF_1079
Hey Larry,

Well, it depends on what you consider "playable". All of the classic scenario's have been converted to the new version but they
haven't all been playtested to see if something broke with the scenario. So you can play it sure, but it might not have the same
balance, or the events might need adjusting, or you know, some small tweak might need to be applied. There's a new scheme to
handle the theater recon value for both sides. Things like that. Plus those scenario's that have a significant number of ships in
them might need balancing since the ships really act like ships now instead of just floating arty. The Grenada scenario is one
that I have powered up some years ago but I don't remember anything special about it that would have something broken just by a
new version. I'd have to take a look at the events to make sure but it sounds like it might be good to go right out of the box.
The only way to make sure is play it.

EDIT: The parts of the above paragraph that describe what needs to be done to a scenario to convert it to the new version has
been done to all the classic scenario's. So right out of the box is the new version already fixed up for the new version.

Awesome news! The first full scenario I played from my first version of TOAW was the Korean War that was used as a "try before you buy" sample. I bought the game after playing the turn limited sample several times, I look forward to playing it again once the new game version is ready.
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
Custer7

Post by Custer7 »

I am working on a version for IV now. Seems not to support the "SS" rune that many used, hoping I got them all redone. No biggie. New naval system made for some adjustments in Allied objectives. Must admit it makes it a whole different game when it comes to invasions. A few changes in the OOB.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Custer7
I am working on a version for IV now.
That sounds awesume and then some. What's it about. Details, details.
Seems not to support the "SS" rune that many used, hoping I got them all redone. No biggie.
Yeah, I saw that too. I'm hoping it'll be fixed/restored sometime in the near future myself.
New naval system made for some adjustments in Allied objectives. Must admit it makes it a whole different game when it comes to invasions. A few changes in the OOB.
Thomas Harvey and I played his Pacific at War scenario several times playtesting it and you're right, there was an evolution
of primative naval tactics Thomas and I came up with. It's all documented in the AAR we did on the development board. At length.

EDIT: [added the link to the aar, and yes I can post a link to the development board because I tested it and it won't let just anybody
in there. If you can't get in there you can't get to the AAR either, sorry.

Here's the link to the AAR:
tm.asp?m=3932556

Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Seems not to support the "SS" rune that many used,

I guess that means that bmp fonts are out.
Custer7

Post by Custer7 »

Thanks Larry, I find the AAR most informative. I am working on a revision of Operation Roundup 1943. The internet has facilitated historical research and it has an updated OOB. Working on a different premise than the original by Tim McBride, Torch and Husky take place. But from June on the Allies concentrate on the invasion of France and Stalin is a happy camper. Oh, and Patton is in charge of the US 1st Army. Working on the PO versions. The new system changed everything. The PO still loves to run forces in front of coastal artillery when their are safer paths. A human player can figure that out after a couple units evaporate. Why jump back and forth in front of the guns risking multiple attacks? Did in the earlier version but the guns didn't fire back. Been testing PBeM, found glitches in system. Bummer, crashes each time too trying to invade Cherbourg. I hope I am not the only one. Seen this before years ago. Not sure what the fix was. I would love to see the PBeM work right, helps in adjusting things.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Been testing PBeM, found glitches in system. Bummer, crashes each time too trying to invade Cherbourg.
Maybe you ought to post something about it. Ralph can get right on it and fix it. He's good like that.
Custer7

Post by Custer7 »

Well tried replacing the SS runes with regular script. Works on most units and formations. But still get some even with regular script SS coming up with the box symbols.[&:] Even completely renaming a unit or formation differently didn't fix it. Like it wants the rune symbols.[X(] Maybe my computer is haunted[:D]
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

I have had the same issue with the runes as boxes, almost random...
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Been testing PBeM, found glitches in system. Bummer, crashes each time too trying to invade Cherbourg. I hope I am not the only one. Seen this before years ago. Not sure what the fix was. I would love to see the PBeM work right, helps in adjusting things.
I had the same problem with updating Ardennes 1944 to IV when the 2.PzD tried to climb out of Clervaux. I think is had something to do with the terrain- out of Super River, Bad Lands, Rocky, Bridge Destroyed, Town in Ruins, HQ 110 Inf Entrenched, attacking up an escarpment. Whew! Historically it took a full day to push the HQ 110th Inf out of Clervaux and the 2.Pz did not progress 10 km out of Clervaux until 18 Dec. Crashed when moving from one hex to another.
I toned down the hex and seems to take care of the problem.
Good luck.

Ranger6

Post by Ranger6 »

Way off topic, Bob, but I see you are logged into the Forum. I am having a problem logging into the TOAW Development Forum- it does not show up in My Forums. Ideas? Thanks
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Ranger6

Way off topic, Bob, but I see you are logged into the Forum. I am having a problem logging into the TOAW Development Forum- it does not show up in My Forums. Ideas? Thanks

It's not a public forum. You have to be on the development team to have access.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Never mind, I was auto logged with a previous user name.
Thanks
s/hptm kunz
TOAW IV team
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Can the team provide an estimate of the number of scenarios expected to be provided with TOAW4? Maybe even provide some titles and the eras covered?

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”