Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Stelteck

RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: chaos45

You should have fortified the pass at Feodysia and Ak-Manay. Going to be to late now. If you fall back to just Kerch he can easily push you completely out of the crimea if he wants....I would guess hes going to swing hard in the tula area to try and flank moscow then roll up your entire army south of Moscow over the spring/summer.

As to shape of his units he restricts replacements over the winter to reduce effects of attrition on his replacement pool. Once he stops taking winter attrition rules he will flood the frontlines with hundreds of thousands of replacements he saved all winter most likely.

Ho i just understand your point now. Previously each time you spoke about the crimea pass, i was understanding the pass east Kerch and not the one in the middle of crimea.

Looks like 1942 will be fun [:D]
Brakes are for cowards !!
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 37 : 26 february 1942

The holiday is over. Next turn hell will return in soviet union.

In crimea, the retreat go on....

Air reconnaissance show german troops concentration south of moscow in TULA area. Others area of the front looks clear for now. Battle is expected in the area.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Strategic reserves ready to move in "hot spot"

Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Hi Stelteck.

Regarding your strategic reserve, I would consider the following, if I were you,

1) Do not place it east of Moscow where it is unlikely that a sudden crisis can erupt. Moving it south to somewhere east of Voronezh will let you deploy it to any point of crisis about one half turn faster.
2) While winter and mud continues, it is unlikely that the Germans will effect any wide ranging breakthroughs. So why not place your strategic reserve on some rail line somewhere, unload them, and let them spend their time digging?
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 38 : 05 Mars 1942 !!

Blizzard is over but there is still a gentle snow all other russia.

Mars 1942 is also a great news for my industries !!!
A new tank, the T-70 is entering mass production. With the T-60 still here, i have a tons of crappy tanks to fill and die gloriously in my tanks brigades.
Even the T-34 production is slowly increasing (2/3 per turn).

I still have no rocket launcher truck production. The industries are not repaired yet. I completely failed my factory evacuation of this one.

Crimea is the first territory to fall in german hand in 1942. The ennemy even manage to crush a level 4 fort in 2 assault near sebastopol !!

In the south, an elite panzer force crossed the large river !!
And i have no elite army in the area to counter attack. Probably a small strategic mistake.
In fact, i have a shock army with cavalry corps in the way to the area, but still in the train.

In the center, some probing attack. Yes, there is a defense here. Now my opponent should know.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

Hi Stelteck.

Regarding your strategic reserve, I would consider the following, if I were you,

1) Do not place it east of Moscow where it is unlikely that a sudden crisis can erupt. Moving it south to somewhere east of Voronezh will let you deploy it to any point of crisis about one half turn faster.
2) While winter and mud continues, it is unlikely that the Germans will effect any wide ranging breakthroughs. So why not place your strategic reserve on some rail line somewhere, unload them, and let them spend their time digging?

Yes good idea i will move them somewhere between voronev and stalingrad.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I confirm that my defense is full of holes.

Too many angle of attack, too few swamps [:D]

Sometimes i put armies somewhere until i found something usefull to do with them too.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 39 : 12 Mars 1941

The battle is ramping up. But not north of moscow which is a quiet zone currently.

In crimea, the baddies crush another level 4 fortifications. And my rifles brigades ran away from the port, so now they are doomed. I do not need those brigades anyway [;)]

Sebastopol is well defended, but not sure how long it will hold.

In the south, german troops increase the size of the bridge head. It looks like the operation is limited. There are not a lot of ennemy troops here for the moment, and my renforcements just arrived. I will try to counter attack it.

And south of moscow, the ennemy built up is really huge. The bryansk front have already been breached in the series of battle. Danger is maximum here especially for the troops in the middle !!!
I think i will fallback a bit. Renforcements are coming to the area.

Fun details : I have 10 cavalry corps in the area, and due to the 2 attached sappers regiments in them, they really are super fast digger. My best diggers.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Battle for the caucasus started !!

One other point. we were speaking about my strategic reserves of available rifle divisions few post ago.

In fact, i sent the entire reserve south. I had a lot of weak divisions south with barely trained conscripts and little fighting value. I removed them for training and sent the reserve divisions to the front instead.

Now i have a strategic reserve full of rookies, but i hope they are training hard.

I'am trying now to forbid myself to put in direct fighting position divisions with less than 2 points of combat value and less than 40Xp.

With the new 1942 TOE, trained normal divisions full TOE with 45 XP have a combat value of 3.
Guard division can easily reached 4.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 40 : 19 Mars 1941

The german army is receiving renforcements, as it gained 1000 more tanks since winters. I'am not sûre how many tanks german industries produced but i do not kill enough.

In the south, of battle for sebastopol began !!! One of the best german infantry general is here !!! Sebastopol will be defended to the last man, but mostly with regular divisions as i hope to create some new guards units doing this, letting rookies prove their worth.

In the front of moscow, we can see that the german army gather some good infantry divisions in order to try to push though my defenses here. But my defenses are very heavy.
I'am spending a lot of PP point trying to create fortified zone to built level 3 fortification in advance. (Without fortified zone, i'am limited to level 2 + 10%).

To my surprise, there was little battle south of moscow this turn. My little fallback worked.

Last point, looking at the looses report, i think i'am terrible at managing the air force. I have a lot of looses without really meeting the luftwaffe in the air.
I need to do better. I have 2000 fighters in stocks doing nothing.
I need to destroy the luftwaffe this year.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Oups, i had no idea this was possible... glou glou...
Poor division....

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 41 : 26 March 1941

Next turn will be mud !!! The winter is other !!!

South of moscow, the panzers crushed the first line of defense, but did not try to exploit it.
I will probably counter attack some ennemy elements.

2 fronts face the ennemy, supported by 2 elites armies and 3 cavalry shock armies.

In the deep south, heavy battle occured around the bridgehead. I will repulse the infantry but the panzers are too strong -62 CV is too strong for me).

topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Impressive defense against a determined opponent.

As I am not very experienced and playing ruskies, I am curious how you decided what size to build your armies? is this mostly about unit mass? Did you build units every turn?
Andy M
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

For now, i do not built new units at all. The game give me 400 divisions of riflemen, 60 cavalry divisions, 100 rifles brigades and 100 tanks brigades for free in 1941.
My manpower and armement stocks are zero. So if i built more units, it will create more divisions to fill with not enough men and weapons and the combat value of individual divisions will decrease.

I think the key to soviet is to built units with a real combat value. it is easy to have a division with 10K men but zero combat value due to low morale and experience. But a true rifle division with 90% TOE and experience around 45 worth 2 to 3 points now and it is a huge difference.

The only thing i currently built in mass is sapper regiment. I need sapper regiments everywhere. They are very good in newly created cavalry corps, but also in armies as support units (3 each), and also in fortified zone as builder (1 to 3 each). I never have enough sapper regiments. And they are cheap en manpower and weapons.
Sappers regiments help built fortification, and destroy ennemy fortifications. They are op. But not cheap in political points.

I wonder maybe i should have used mostly sapper Battalion instead of regiment to save PP.
I have tons of ideas of different configurations of support units to test but only one game [;)]

Remember also that sappers regiments starts as very low XP and need training as a normal units to be efficient.
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

Apparently sapper regiments are far more 'bang for your buck' than sapper battalions. At least that's what the 'best of WitE threads' PDF states.
CORE Minister of Propaganda

Ex-CORE for Arsenal of Democracy developer

COREd War in the East 2 - reworked aircraft, ground and leader imagery
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Sapper regiments are actually cheaper than battalions. 3 battalions = 1 regiment. So basically you have 3 battalions for 2 APs if you build regiment.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

A lots of failed counter attack this turn. Panzer divisions are stronk.

MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

This looks like a desperate suicide attack:
Panzer starting CV = 586
Soviets starting CV = 198 !
Even if you quadrupled CV and they stayed stuck at original CV you loose the battle. [:'(]
Blizzard
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

It was the second attack on the hex, with fresh troops, but yes it was very brave.

My artillery do not do enough damage. Each successive attack do not really damage the baddies.

Return to “After Action Reports”