Raspberry Pi

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ranger33

Raspberry Pi

Post by Ranger33 »

Anyone here have one of these or have heard of them? It's a little credit card sized PC that costs $35 that you can use for anything you want. It has built USB ports, HDMI, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth and is surprisingly powerful. There's a huge community for it that creates all sorts of open-source software.

People use them to build and program robots, control the lights and thermostat in their home, create your own private "cloud" to store files, all sorts of things.

I just got one and the first thing I did was was install a program that lets it emulate every gaming console from the N64/PS1, back to the Amiga and everything in between.

Would make a great gift for any kid that's into computers, programming, or engineering. There are starter kits and project idea books to get things going.
Kuokkanen

RE: Raspberry Pi

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Anyone here have one of these or have heard of them? It's a little credit card sized PC that costs $35 that you can use for anything you want.
Does it play Crysis and Civ6?
Likely not. I've read something about it from computer magazine. There are also new models and competition going on.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Anyone here have one of these or have heard of them? It's a little credit card sized PC that costs $35 that you can use for anything you want.
Does it play Crysis and Civ6?
Likely not. I've read something about it from computer magazine. There are also new models and competition going on.

No, of course it can't run things like that. [:'(]

However, you can run FreeCiv on it, which is comparable to Civ II. This thing runs on Linux generally, so that hinders it as well as the fact that it doesn't have a powerful graphics card. Give it time though, this is the third major version of the Pi and it's ten times more powerful than the first one, while maintaining a very low cost.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

They're handy to plug into a TV and have all the access the internet provides in all it's ways and with nothing more complicated than plugging it into the TV.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Return to “General Discussion”