Thinking of getting this game but...

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
Michael T

Thinking of getting this game but...

Post by Michael T »

As the title says. I have played Civil War II (my only other AGEOD title) and to be honest I tired of chasing renegade indians all over the far western deserts, making hundreds of inconsequential decisions and WWI like conditions in the East.

So are there any objective (read non fanboi) players out there who might shed some light on whether this game is worth the effort, time and money?

I love the period and I am a veteran of EIA player (boardgame). Tried the PC version of EIA and was left with bitter disappointment.

Could some people also opine on the status of 2 player PBEM and say 4+ PBEM.

What about this 2 player DLC I hear of?

Is this a bug riddled title or no worse than any other PC game in general?
Michael T

RE: Thinking of getting this game but...

Post by Michael T »

Sorry, don't bother. I have been to the AGEOD forums and read some stuff. Moving on.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

It has problems for sure. They are slowly getting worked out. The operative word being slowly. I like the game and still tinker with it here and there. Personally I would have liked to see a full blown effort to fix this game before they dived into the production of a new game, but it's their company.

Grab it on sale sometime.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

And make sure that if you go PBEM to get decent people who don't exploit the rules, or any of the problems that caused me to drop out.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Good design should prevent said exploits, I saw your post about the Austrians.

I am going to pass on this at this stage. I see they are working on a new engine. Looks like the old one has run it's course... maybe one game too many with it.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Michael T,
Good to see you moving on and not wasting your time or money on this pathetically done garbage from AGEOD. I'll never buy another AGEOD game after giving them one last chance on this title. I seriously doubt AGEOD will ever fix this game properly, they're too busy making their next piece of garbage.
pz501

Post by pz501 »

I have to agree. This game seemed at first to be the end all for Napoleonic strategy, but after 2 or 3 failed attempts to fix it by AGEOD, it looks like they've given up. This brings back bad memories of "Empires in Arms".

AGEOD does seem to have moved on to yet another project, and the most dedicated modder who was trying his best to make this playable has sort of disappeared too.

All in all this game has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I won't be taking a chance on any AGEOD titles in the future.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Do you mind doing a summary of this game problems? I am looking for a Napoleonic game and I hesitate between:
. COGEE
. WON
. EIA
Looks like the three have their own problems. In fact, the best combination looks like to be COGEE game with WON graphics.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: pz501
but after 2 or 3 failed attempts to fix it by AGEOD, it looks like they've given up. This brings back bad memories of "Empires in Arms".

Have faith! Matrix should be posting a v1.21 public beta for EIA soon. They're backlogged with new releases and short staff.

Maybe someday AGEOD or somebody else will get around to fixing WON too.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
laramieela

Post by laramieela »

Hmm, these posts puzzle me. I am in five Wars of Napoleon pbem games. I really love this game. It might not be a good play against AI game, but as a multiplayer game it is really exciting. I have played all factions except Great Britain. I am not certain why some players want to hate this game, maybe because it is too complex? maybe because good play is not obvious. It is an ambitious offering which reaches into the heart of the political and military complication of this era.
For any of you who have played the board (and computer) game Diplomacy. This is the real deal.
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Really new to ageod games and WoN but for napoleonic era we dont have such a good game around i think ? Never tried EiA but have N:TW, March of the Eagles (omg!?), Histwar LG & Histwar: N, some HPS-JTS titles (Austerlitz,Peninsular etc.), Scourge of War: Waterloo ... (bugs aside ?) none give the realism feeling WoN pbems give especially this WeGo system is brilliant when compared to IGOUGO and real-times i guess.
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Omnius

Post by Omnius »

pzgndr,
I'd love to see a new update for EiA, one that fixes the trade money function in hotseat or against AI modes. I hate having to play the game hotseat PBEM just to be able to have Britain be able to give money to allies. Any idea when this new update may come out?

So far EiA is still the best strategic Napoleonic computer game!
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Lancier,
EiA was a classic board war game done decades ago. It was brought to the computer and it's really the best strategic Napoleonic game done for the computer. The one big problem is you can't trade money in hotseat or against the AI modes, only in PBEM. Since you like PBEM this might not be such a problem. Anyway EiA is superior to WoN in so many ways!

Unfortunately it is IGOUGO, but despite that it's better than WoN.
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Hello Omnius, seems like ageod will release a new game, [WSS] Wars of Succession as they seem to know that won has some problems with scripts? and unmanageable diplomacy? Maybe we must give up with the current ageod napoleonic era game and move to War of Spanish Succession & the Great Northern War with the new game ? ^^
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

pzgndr,
I'd love to see a new update for EiA, one that fixes the trade money function in hotseat or against AI modes. I hate having to play the game hotseat PBEM just to be able to have Britain be able to give money to allies. Any idea when this new update may come out?

So far EiA is still the best strategic Napoleonic computer game!

The v1.21.03 public beta is out. I did fix the trade money function, but I'm still looking for an independent verification that it works for PBEM games.

I agree EiA is best. The scale and scope is just right. It just needs a little more TLC, and I've got plans for the next v1.22 version to fix more stuff.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I paid a pretty penny for EiA. But not knowing the board game and the then-difficult UI, I could never figure it out. I will try it again one day, as had no idea it was still being updated 10 years later.
Symple

Post by Symple »

I so agree. This is a great game, especially in pbem mode.
Against AI, not so solid, but find some players and dig in for a lot of Napoleonic fun.
ORIGINAL: Lancier

Really new to ageod games and WoN but for napoleonic era we dont have such a good game around i think ? Never tried EiA but have N:TW, March of the Eagles (omg!?), Histwar LG & Histwar: N, some HPS-JTS titles (Austerlitz,Peninsular etc.), Scourge of War: Waterloo ... (bugs aside ?) none give the realism feeling WoN pbems give especially this WeGo system is brilliant when compared to IGOUGO and real-times i guess.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”