New to the game - Basic Questions

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

Post by IBender »

Thank you both for the helpful information.
IBender

Post by IBender »

Sorry for all the questions. Loving the game, but I have another question. I only bring them here when I feel stumped finding an answer.

Question: Playing Global War solitar. End of the turn/ just finished production and buying units. I come up on the French and its the phase / part of the turned labeled "reform corps/ armies" (something close to that) I understand that this is where I can combine divisions into corps. However, the French dont have divisions to reform really, the green little button to move to next part of the turn is greyed out. No french units seem clickable. I am ..stuck. I cant seem to move past this point and I can seem to find any units that I want / need to reform. Plus seems like I should just be able to move past this phase without doing anything.

Anyone with thoughts on this, I would appreciate.
Thanks
IBender

Post by IBender »

I think...I am attaching a screen shot. Dont laugh it is is not.

Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (989.02 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Have you tried again to get by this step after loading a autosave?

If I am going to look at it further I need a save, so could you post one here?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
IBender

Post by IBender »

I can try and upload a game. Is it done the same way as I did with a picture? The "click here to upload" button supports gif/txt/jpg/zip files. game file is Gam.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I have experienced similar hangs of the game, and until another solution is given, I had to do as Orm tells you, take a previous phase savegame and do it again.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

I can try and upload a game. Is it done the same way as I did with a picture? The "click here to upload" button supports gif/txt/jpg/zip files. game file is Gam.
The same way although you must first ZIP the save, and then used the zipped save file.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Orm

The same way although you must first ZIP the save, and then used the zipped save file.
To zip a file, right-click on it. This will get you a menu. Pick "Send to". This will get you another menu. Pick "Compressed (zipped) folder". Then upload the resulting file.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
IBender

Post by IBender »

Here it is I think.
Attachments
HDtrialg..eplease.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

It's the right gamesave. But the game doesn't freeze on me and continues to the Chinese reform corps phase correctly.

This is indeed something which happens occasionally. The best way is to restart with an autosave.

Since we can't recreate this bug, it's very difficult for Steve to locate this one.
Peter
IBender

Post by IBender »

Wow, well than you very much for taking a look and I appreciate the advise.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another fix that has worked for me is to just click on a unit to select it. That may light the green light. If not then next try clicking the red arrows near the top of the Main Form.

If those don't work then certainly a reload from an autosave should do the trick.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Another fix that has worked for me is to just click on a unit to select it. That may light the green light. If not then next try clicking the red arrows near the top of the Main Form.

If those don't work then certainly a reload from an autosave should do the trick.

That can be a time saver. Thanks fo that tip.
IBender

Post by IBender »

Thanks, I tried the suggestions for getting past it, but they didnt work. I reloaded a game auto save and played through that part and it worked just fine. No idea how or why that would be fine but the original wouldnt but that is ok actually. The game is pretty complex and an occassional issue is little to suffer with.

Thanks guys.
IBender

Post by IBender »

Can I get some thoughts / links leading to thoughts regarding Global War Russian Set up and Scrapping. Lots of territory to cover with few units. Also, there seem to be some options for consideration that I am unsure I understand the pros and cons of. Ie Bessarabia / Finland / Where to set up Zhukov and what to do with him / Also convoy points (Russia doesnt seem to have any trade occuring over water with anyone - so I am a little confused what to do with the cp for them.

Thank you
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

IBender

Post by IBender »

...and another russian question... Why wouldnt hyou convert as many as possible into Siberean units in Asia? They are all superior. I cant see the reason to not convert?

Thanks
IBender

Post by IBender »

The following is a point of clarification for me. Basically let me know please if I am right or wrong and why etc.

- Rumania provides 2 points of oil to Germany ... am I right in assuming that it travels overland and therefore no convoy points are involed?

- Rumania provides 1 point of oil to Italy...am I right that this 1 point of oil travels over land to Italy and does not require any convoy points from Italy to move that oil to Italy?

- The convoy point Italy has in the Italian Coast makes sense to me as it move the resource in Sardinia to Italy, but in most if not all AARs I have seen Italy has a convoy point in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. I am confused by this as I do not see what it is transporting. Question - Why is it in the Eastern Mediterranean? Also sometimes I see people with a convoy point in Western Med and Red Sea and that doesnt make sense to me either as just like the Eastern Med...I cannot see what it is transporting?

Thank you
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

The following is a point of clarification for me. Basically let me know please if I am right or wrong and why etc.

- Rumania provides 2 points of oil to Germany ... am I right in assuming that it travels overland and therefore no convoy points are involed?

- Rumania provides 1 point of oil to Italy...am I right that this 1 point of oil travels over land to Italy and does not require any convoy points from Italy to move that oil to Italy?

- The convoy point Italy has in the Italian Coast makes sense to me as it move the resource in Sardinia to Italy, but in most if not all AARs I have seen Italy has a convoy point in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. I am confused by this as I do not see what it is transporting. Question - Why is it in the Eastern Mediterranean? Also sometimes I see people with a convoy point in Western Med and Red Sea and that doesnt make sense to me either as just like the Eastern Med...I cannot see what it is transporting?

Thank you

Yes, no convoys are needed if there is a rail connection overland to transport resources.

Convoys have to be used for supply purposes if the players use the optional rule "Limited Overseas Supply". Therefore you see Italy putting a convoy in the Eastern Med to make sure the units in Eastern Lybia are in supply if players are using that optional.
Peter
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Can I get some thoughts / links leading to thoughts regarding Global War Russian Set up and Scrapping. Lots of territory to cover with few units. Also, there seem to be some options for consideration that I am unsure I understand the pros and cons of. Ie Bessarabia / Finland / Where to set up Zhukov and what to do with him / Also convoy points (Russia doesnt seem to have any trade occuring over water with anyone - so I am a little confused what to do with the cp for them.

Thank you

Let's start with the convoy points. It isn't unheard of to see the Wehrmacht cutting of the raillines from the Caucasian oil to the USSR. So one tends to see that those convoys are put in the Caspian Sea to make sure that at least 3 oil will flow to the hungry Soviet oil depending units and their factories. An alternative is to use those convoys for additional Murmansk convoy points up north (but I usually let the Wallies provide those ships).

Now, scrapping. I scrap all Soviet FTR's and improve quality of naval units which are not required at set up. And that's it. You need every unit you can put on the map, even the crappy ones. Some people also scrap the crappy MOT, INF and GAR, but I don't.
Usually, I put the European army and all air units with STRAT factors at the Rumanian border so the USSR can claim Bessarabia first (Adolf will never deny the claim in an oil game with the Soviet Air Force capable of bombing the Rumanian oil into oblivian).
Zhukov and the Siberians (and yes: only if you have drawn very good units in INF you don't swap them) you can do two things with.

1. Put them in place to grab Persia early 1940
2. Put them around Manchuria and start putting pressure on the Japanese.
Peter

Return to “WIF School”