Deeply impressed new boy

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Southern Cross

Deeply impressed new boy

Post by Southern Cross »

Hi everybody ,

I purchased this game a few months ago and initially I had great difficulty connecting with it. It was just soooo confusing. So I put it away and went back to my favourite Panzer Campaigns games.

Then I discovered this forum and found out what I had been doing wrong plus heaps of useful information on all aspects of the game. You guys are great :) :)

My big mistake was being impatient and trying to do things too fast.I now realise the game is a marathon not a sprint. So I had another go at it and now I am totally hooked :D :D Best game I have ever played. So addictive that I am in deep trouble on the home front.

I still have a couple of questions:

(1) How can you tell which ship in a TF is the TF commander flagship. This is important if you are worried about losing your TF commander.

(2) I don't understand the advantages of docking vs being at anchor in a port. For example which is better for faster ship repair , which protects best from bombing raids , which protects best from sub attack , are the ships AA used to defend the port against air raids ?

(3) Will AA in a base always fire at any air attack e.g attacks on land units , airbase , port , ships in port ?

And here are my suggestions for making a great game even greater :

(a) Could the AI use some variation on the height of air attacks ? It is too predictable that all AI attacks come in at the same height.

(b) It would be good if we could re-assign air group and army commanders just as we can with naval commanders.

(c) A button to allow us to stand down all aircraft at an
airbase would be useful ( just like the one we have for fleet based aircraft)

(d) Although I guess it is pretty realistic , the malaria/fatigue effect can be a pain to manage. Having to move units out of the malaria zone is a chore. Three possible options for future patches (1) just lower the speed at which fatigue/disruption is accumulated (2) reduce the scope of the malaria zone (3) improve the efficiency of headquarters , base troops ( hospitals etc..) to lessen the effect of malaria---this would be my preference .

(e) It would be good if we could promote commanders/pilots for oustanding achievement.

And one minor bug to report---in air battles when one units aircraft destroys an enemy aircraft the AI seems to get caught in a loop and there are continuos reports of the same enemy aircraft being destroyed. At the end of the battle though it is clear that only one aircraft has been lost. This is a minor irritant but not a major problem !

Finally a tribute to the developers of this great great game--awesome :D :D I will certainly be getting WITP.

Apologies for the length of this post and thanks again guys.
Subchaser

Post by Subchaser »

Hi Southern Cross, if it’s your real name :)

I thought it’s impossible to buy this game “by the way”, this is specific product and there are only two possibilities here – you madly love it or you just hate it.

(1)This is only my guesstimate, Flagship is the ship with biggest victory value in TF, and if there are several ships with the same victory value – ship with most experienced crew. When TF commander cannot be assigned manually, this is a most skilled skipper from those whose ships are in that TF, but my latest researches indicates that program takes random commander. See 8.25 of Manual
(2)
Docked: “Ships that are docked do not suffer operational damage and will be able to repair damage faster than if at sea, but they will also be easier to hit by attacking aircraft. Docked TF ’s do not use endurance, but they will automatically respond to enemy naval forces (both reaction moves and to engage an enemy fleet in the same hex), in which case they will no longer be docked”.

Anchored: “Ships at a friendly port with a current size of at least 3 may exist in the port separate of a task force in which case they will maximize their repair capability at the expense of additional vulnerability to enemy attacks (this is considered being at anchor). Ships docked or at anchor at a port with a current size of at least 3 are immune to enemy submarine attacks.”

So if you have ships in port of size higher than 3, and you still have your dilemma – disband TF and get ships anchored if naval threat is higher than air threat, in this case enemy ships can hurt you only if they will bombard your base, if you think that port can be attacked by air – keep ships docked, although it doesn’t really matter, if enemy aircraft can reach you in sufficient numbers they will do harm to the ships, that way or another.

(3) Yes, all AA guns are firing at any enemy aircraft in the same hex, no matter what for those bastards came.

If you really want to play UV - forget AI, find human opponent. AI there is just for training :)

<nd one minor bug to report---in air battles when one units aircraft destroys an enemy aircraft the AI seems to get caught in a loop and there are continuos reports of the same enemy aircraft being destroyed. At the end of the battle though it is clear that only one aircraft has been lost. This is a minor irritant but not a major problem !>

This is probably just fow.

Hope this helps
Sabrewolf

Post by Sabrewolf »

im a newbie as well and have a couple of question about the game, might as well put it in this thread.

1. Ground unit replacement, where will they arrive?

2. The manual states that Base force will get their aviation support full capacity equal to 3 times the size of the airfield. I however don't find my base force getting replacement unit for aviation support even though the unit is in a pretty high rated airfield.

3. I find that facing imminent air attack it is better to use LRCAP over your own base instead of using normal CAP. Is this true for most people?
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

1. Ground unit replacement, where will they arrive?

For allies at either brisbane or noumea, or japs at truk. This is the same for replacements and for reinforcements. I will hazard a guess (don't know for certain) but i'd think the aussies will appear in brisbane and the americans, kiwis and poms in noumea.

2. The manual states that Base force will get their aviation support full capacity equal to 3 times the size of the airfield. I however don't find my base force getting replacement unit for aviation support even though the unit is in a pretty high rated airfield.

Woah, don't know this one. My take is that base forces have a set number of air support squads in their ranks - this equals the number of aircraft this unit can support. Land units do not grow larger than their initial size through replacements. Are you getting confused with number of aircraft an AIRBASE can support? If so you can have the size of the airbase time 50 aircraft without penalty: i.e. size 3 airfield can have 150 aircraft.

3. I find that facing imminent air attack it is better to use LRCAP over your own base instead of using normal CAP. Is this true for most people?
Thats the best way to get the most planes in the air. Essentailly the game turns 90% CAP into 100% LRCAP, it's just semantics. Where LRCAP has a penalty is when it occurs in a hex "other than the hex the planes originate". This is to simulate the planes in transit.
[center]
[/center]
Southern Cross

Post by Southern Cross »

Thanks for your help Subchaser
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Read the patch notes guys, just as important as the manual.

You'll note in the patch notes, the base unit size increase ONLY applies to the AI, not to humans.

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”