Issue Starting Game

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Saltaholicwm

Issue Starting Game

Post by Saltaholicwm »

I had't updated to the newest patch until tonight - I haven't played the game in probably 6 months or more. Unfortunately once it relaunched, the game won't start when I click the button "Play Civil War II." The new start screen shows with all the new buttons, but the game doesn't launch. It doesn't give an error message or anything - all it does is allow me to click, click, click, all with no response. All of the other buttons on the screen seem to work (Support, Store, Register, Catalog, Forums, Website, etc).

Running Windows 10, so I'm assuming my DirectX is up to date.

Any suggestions?
zakblood

RE: Issue Starting Game

Post by zakblood »

have you updated to windows 10 from another version of windows?

if so you will or may need to re load the pre requites again
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Saltaholicwm

Post by Saltaholicwm »

I updated all my Microsoft files via Windows updated (and advanced settings to update all MS products - it did update a few).

I uninstalled CWII and reinstalled it.

The result is that the game still has the same issue - clicking the "Play Civil War II" button on the start screen does nothing (all the other buttons still work as before).

Has anyone else encountered this issue? My computer isn't new, but I bought it to play this game a week before it launched - it's perfectly capable of handling it (even still does well with newer first person shooters like Overwatch). So I don't think it's the hardware.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

inside the game folder there is a folder called CommonRedist

run the file in side there called DXSETUP

then check your firewall and anti virus settings to makes sure neither have blocked anything game related from running
add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

having windows 10 means little, if a game needs a certain file it will come with that file and the game needs it running to work, without it, it won't work, no matter what version of windows you run, if you're pc has DRX 12 installed, and the game needs 9, 9 out of 10 times it won't work, if at all
Saltaholicwm

Post by Saltaholicwm »

Awesome - reinstalling the old DirectX worked. I would've thought the newer versions were backward compatible. Thanks for the help!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no, having the latest means nothing now days i'm sorry to say and none are backwards compatible now, you need to install every version if you have all ages of software now days i'm afraid, glad your sort, happy gaming...

Return to “Tech Support”