"Windowed" screen

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adarbrauner

"Windowed" screen

Post by adarbrauner »

Hello to all;

how to have the game's screen "windowed" rather than full size, please?
Chris21wen

RE: "Windowed" screen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Hello to all;

how to have the game's screen "windowed" rather than full size, please?

You need to add -w to the games properties when you start. You will also probably need to set the size you want with -px and -py. Here's mine as an example. For all the details there's lots on the forum.

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Chris' advice is good, except that you may not want to use the same modifiers to your command line. Check the latest game "readme" file, it describes what each of those tags does so that you can customize the game to your own machine.
fair winds,
Brad
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Hello and thank you for the replies;

what is the precise path please, for the file? I could not have found it;

forgive also my ignorance, but if the file is an EXE one -and i may have found it - I could i possibly "open" it to modify its script?

(P.S., beta patch not yet downloaded, if may this be of any difference)
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Hello and thank you for the replies;

what is the precise path please, for the file? I could not have found it;

forgive also my ignorance, but if the file is an EXE one -and i may have found it - I could i possibly "open" it to modify its script?

(P.S., beta patch not yet downloaded, if may this be of any difference)

The path needs to be in the "shortcut" to the game. Here is my shortcut from my desktop. Edit the target.

Attachments
shortcut.jpg
shortcut.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 82 times

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

hello, and thak you;

where to find the download's link for the most recent "beta", please?
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

its the top sticky in the tech support section
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

@geofflambert :

this is the "target string" as it appears in my properties window:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w

and no more; as you see, there,s nothing in this string, relating to Screen seetings and/or dimensions (nor to anything else) that could be edited;

I'm back at starting point.....

moreover, after having downloaded the most recent beta patch, the beta game itself opens with a much reduced windowed screen on the desktop....
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

@geofflambert :

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w

and no more; as you see, there,s nothing in this string, relating to Screen seetings and/or dimensions (nor to anything else) that could be edited;

moreover, after having downloaded the most recent beta patch, the beta game itself opens with a much reduced windowed screen on the desktop....

you need to add them in yourself - so you tailor it to your own specific needs - there is a readme file in the main directory that explains all the options
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

@geofflambert :

But what is in your "Start In" window? I have not seen you confirm that you are using a shortcut pointing to the game's exe file as opposed to the menu one that is automatically placed on your desktop during installation (Autorun.exe).

You have to create the game shortcut by going to the game directory, finding the War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe file, right clicking on it and choosing "create shortcut".

You can then drag that to your desktop and give it a suitable name to differentiate it from the Autorun menu (the shortcut icons are the same).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

@geofflambert :

I just run the game in full screen, and have from day one. I don't use any outside programs or anything else so I couldn't care less about a windowed screen. To do this all you have to do is get rid of the -w switch. It runs fine on my machine, but of course YMMV.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

you need to add them in yourself - so you tailor it to your own specific needs - there is a readme file in the main directory that explains all the options
But what is in your "Start In" window? I have not seen you confirm that you are using a shortcut pointing to the game's exe file as opposed to the menu one that is automatically placed on your desktop during installation (Autorun.exe).

You have to create the game shortcut by going to the game directory, finding the War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe file, right clicking on it and choosing "create shortcut".

You can then drag that to your desktop and give it a suitable name to differentiate it from the Autorun menu (the shortcut icons are the same).

Yes, thank you, all studied from the REadme, and tried; indeed , it get windowed, but the game screen remains of small dimensios, regardless of the x and y values i may edit in the shortcut target's string;

If I knew how to save and attach here a screenshot, I'd show you;
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes, thank you, all studied from the REadme, and tried; indeed , it get windowed, but the game screen remains of small dimensios, regardless of the x and y values i may edit in the shortcut target's string;

If I knew how to save and attach here a screenshot, I'd show you;

1. Centre the screen on what you want to capture
2. Press "Prt Scr" key once - firmly. Your entire screen image is saved to the clipboard but you cannot save anything else there until you are finished or it will overwrite the image.
3. Open a picture editing program - Windows Paint will do if you do not have another one.
4. Right click on the working area and choose "Paste" - your screen image gets copied to the editing program.
5. Edit the image to get it the way you want it to appear in your post on the forum.
6. Go to the File menu and choose "Save As"
7. Give it an appropriate file name and make sure it is saved in a subdirectory that you can later find. It must be in JPEG or BMP format to be posted on the forum. Other formats are not supported.
8. Go to the forum and start your post - writing up all the narrative part.
9. At the bottom of the posting window click on the box "Embed picture in post", then click on the text "Click here to upload!"
10. A new window will open - choose "Browse" to look in your file system to find your picture, select it and choose "Open". Keep clicking OK until you are back at your post and have had the message "Picture uploaded successfully".
11. Click OK to complete your post with the image embedded.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here is the complete path that I am using. "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -archive -cpu1 -w

If I recall correctly the -archive instruction is necessary if you wish to use Tracker, and you should. The -px1920 -py1080 gives you the large screen with high resolution. I believe the -altfont makes the text easier for old eyes to read. I forget what -fd does or -cpu1.

The \Beta2\ part is if you are using the beta version, which I highly recommend. If so you should have given its own folder within the WITPAE folder.

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Tracker does not use the archive, but Combat Reporter does.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

For single screen grabs I use the free version of Screenhunter you can get here: http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/scr ... r_free.htm

For screen grabs of video I use Screencastomatic (the free version, every time you use it it tries to get you to upgrade, a small annoyance) which you can find here: http://screencast-o-matic.com/home

The Screenhunter program uses the F6 key as its trigger. Make it one of the Startup apps and the F6 key will be ready to go when you boot up, just close the window for it. This will take away the F6 hotkey, "show hexsides" I think, but I never use the game hotkeys so it bothers me nought.

By the way, what do you get a ship commander for his/her birthday? Forget-me-knots.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Forget-me-knots.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Don't look here, don't look there, I may strike anywhere.

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

That explains it all. It is another Scarlet Pimpernel disguise.

They seek him here, they seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven, is he in hell,
That demn'd, illusive Pimpernel.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

That explains it all. It is another Scarlet Pimpernel disguise.

They seek him here, they seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven, is he in hell,
That demn'd, illusive Pimpernel.

Alfred

I remember the TV series but could not figure out the last line of the ditty until now - thanks!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”