Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

I think it's important to note that this is only the starting point, and it'll most likely only get better as time goes on. I think VI is a really solid base on which to refine the different aspects of the game there are problems with, be it diplomacy (endless denouncements, seemingly random declarations of war, etc.), AI warfighting/unit construction (Holy obsolete unit spam, Batman!), or whatever. Even so, as I said earlier, I'm greatly enjoying it so far. Despite playing games many times throughout a week, Matrix offerings or others, I haven't been so engrossed in a game like this in quite some time. Not sure what that says about me, probably nothing good :-P

The Civilization Franchise overall has always been on top of the gaming food chain...thank you Sid Meier (and many others)! [:)] [&o]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I think it's important to note that this is only the starting point, and it'll most likely only get better as time goes on. I think VI is a really solid base on which to refine the different aspects of the game there are problems with, be it diplomacy (endless denouncements, seemingly random declarations of war, etc.), AI warfighting/unit construction (Holy obsolete unit spam, Batman!), or whatever. Even so, as I said earlier, I'm greatly enjoying it so far. Despite playing games many times throughout a week, Matrix offerings or others, I haven't been so engrossed in a game like this in quite some time. Not sure what that says about me, probably nothing good :-P

That one of those things I like most about this new civilization IV, tech and civil research tree. For example if you build a city on the coast you will get a bonus on sailing research.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Also tough to get gunpowder and find not only can't you buy musket men because of no Niter but you can no longer build swordsmen either which can make it tough to fight a war.
Have you checked through option menus is there a box to (un)tick that would change that particular feature?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Thanks for the link! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm not yet sure why I just ordered the game, I believe the last time I purchased this series was the first or second one. I sure hope it will find a soft spot in my heart at 70.00 dollars. I need to have the paddle supplied for my lack of discipline [:)] I have been touting myself as a very selective buyer!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Unlike the other civ series, except for part three where you can build all the cities you want. In this one, you can still build all the cities you want regardless of happiness. The populations of that city you have to keep your eyes on. Sometimes you will ended up in a bad spot when making a new game, most players would simply reroll for another. The tricky parts, is every time you make a settler, the next one will go up in cost. So this would make the game more interesting.

One thing that combat system is better, so you will have to plan your strategy carefully. Aint like part five, where you can take on the barbarians easy. Take your time and go over tech, both science and civil trees and plan carefully. Try focus on what is around your cities, like bonus resources, etc, then pick a tech to study on.
gekkoguy35

Post by gekkoguy35 »

Totally right. If you don't stay on top of the barbarians early on, things can spiral out of control pretty rapidly.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Totally right. If you don't stay on top of the barbarians early on, things can spiral out of control pretty rapidly.

Less than hundred turns, I have seen several civs gotten wiped out by the system. Yes the barbarians are tough and they should be.
Zap

Post by Zap »

From the get go. the boxed version I purchased wants me to set up stem. Dammit I don't want steam. I just want to put this game on my hard drive without having to load steam. Is there a way I can do this? Oh, I like Matrix way of selling a game. This forcing one to get a stem account is a load of #%^$
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

From the get go. the boxed version I purchased wants me to set up stem. Dammit I don't want steam. I just want to put this game on my hard drive without having to load steam. Is there a way I can do this? Oh, I like Matrix way of selling a game. This forcing one to get a stem account is a load of #%^$

That is the way it is, it's perfectly safe. I was just like you a few years ago, I said "no way am I going to use Steam", then I had to use it to activate a game and now I could not live without Steam! [:)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: wings7

That is the way it is, it's perfectly safe. I was just like you a few years ago, I said "no way am I going to use Steam", then I had to use it to activate a game and now I could not live without Steam! [:)]

Bought it from Steam last night.
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

I really like Steam too. It looks after all your games updates very well. Takes PayPal too.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm just not happy at all. It says one time authorization with steam. I bought the box version to be steam free. I'm considering offering my copy at a discount to someone. That's how much I dislike having to be forced into something I don't want. If it lets me uninstall steam after the initial install. And then I'm allowed to access the game without steam then maybe. But I don't think that's the case.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I'm just not happy at all. It says one time authorization with steam. I bought the box version to be steam free. I'm considering offering my copy at a discount to someone. That's how much I dislike having to be forced into something I don't want. If it lets me uninstall steam after the initial install. And then I'm allowed to access the game without steam then maybe. But I don't think that's the case.

Unfortunately you can't completely uninstall Steam. You can play OFFLINE but it still needs to access the local Steam folder for your game key. It runs about 3 files while your game is running offline. But, you can check it. Unplug your modem and launch the game. It will work but if you uninstall the Steam Client and that game uses DRM then it won't because it won't be able to lookup your activation key stored locally on your computer and steam client.

People are blaming Steam for what Publishers and Developers are doing. Steam is only the distributor and does only what the PUBLISHERS and DEVS tell them to do with their games. Steam doesn't put the DRM on games Publishers and Developers do, so if you have a problem with Steam it's really the Publisher and Developer you should be voicing your complaints with not Steam.

There are a few companies that use steam to distribute their games but don't use DRM and those will work with or without Steam. But, the majority of PUBLISHERS and DEVELOPERS use the DRM now in place. Steam didn't invent DRM. The Publishers and Developers did.

As they have always said "GREED" is the root of all evils. [:'(]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

There are a few companies that use steam to distribute their games but don't use DRM and those will work with or without Steam. But, the majority of PUBLISHERS and DEVELOPERS use the DRM now in place. Steam didn't invent DRM. The Publishers and Developers did.

It is "Piracy" that is the root of all evil here...[8|][>:]
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Unfortunately you can't completely uninstall Steam. You can play OFFLINE but it still needs to access the local Steam folder for your game key. It runs about 3 files while your game is running offline. But, you can check it. Unplug your modem and launch the game. It will work but if you uninstall the Steam Client and that game uses DRM then it won't because it won't be able to lookup your activation key stored locally on your computer and steam client.

People are blaming Steam for what Publishers and Developers are doing. Steam is only the distributor and does only what the PUBLISHERS and DEVS tell them to do with their games. Steam doesn't put the DRM on games Publishers and Developers do, so if you have a problem with Steam it's really the Publisher and Developer you should be voicing your complaints with not Steam.

Very true, when Steam came online there were few games I was interesting in and didn't like the ideas that you need to have Steam in order to use that product. Didn't like that at all! Well we have no choice, either you do it there ways or the high way!
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Some 30 hours played, and I like it very much. The last Civ I played was Civ III (and a few days Colonization which I dumped in disgust) so there's a lot of new stuff for me.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I don't bother buying boxed copies any more. And little difference between a serial number you have to use to install, then play as much as you want, and using a Steam key to install, and playing as much as you want.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wings7

It is "Piracy" that is the root of all evil here...[8|][>:]

No, Piracy is the root of all DRM. [:'(]

A look back in history shows that there was greed before there was piracy. [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”