Introducing myself - newby

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

WMitty

Introducing myself - newby

Post by WMitty »

Hello,
I asked a mod question today, and feel I already started off on the wrong foot.
So let me just say hi to this forum.
I am a newbie (game-wise that is,I did play a little Uncommon Valor and War Plan Orange).

This looks really good, but oh my, so detailed.
I'm sure I'll have some questions, so be kind.

Thank you
T Rav

RE: Introducing myself - newby

Post by T Rav »

Welcome! This a great forum. Recommend you read the whole manual and play a few rounds on the small scenarios first. The folks here are very smart, but will ask you to read past posts that probably answer your questions, BTW, this is the most bang for the buck you will find for wargames... you are in for a treat.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

WMitty, welcome aboard....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
WMitty

Post by WMitty »

Thank you T Rav and General Patton,
I have mastered Coral Sea, and played a fair amount of Guadalcanal. But the work for the first turn of the Grand Campaign still leaves my head swimming (I haven't finished more than 3 days before I get swamped).
At least having been familiar with UV and WPO, I get it, but there is so much more to this.
bartrat

Post by bartrat »

The game is complex but very enjoyable. Just do reading of the manual and forum and you will enjoy it a lot.
WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

(The best commercial PC wargame ever created and conceived for aeronaval strategy; worth every penny of its price and even more, and this thanks to the details amount (that could be further improved- particularly withinin the A/SW aspect)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Welcome to the madness!

There are quite a few aids for newbies out there. Look for Sardaukar's tutorial for newbies for info on how to do things using the game interface.

And here is a link to help you set up the first turn - a spreadsheet by Kull for the Allied side. There is also one for the Japanese side but I did not have it bookmarked. Of course you can change things from Kull's plan if you wish.

tm.asp?m=2306421
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
WMitty

Post by WMitty »

To all, your welcome is most heart felt.
I just can't find the "pocketa-pocketa-Pocketa and brave Walter Mitty won" button [:D]
jcax101

Post by jcax101 »

Welcome. If you love the Pacific then this is the game. It might help if you like spreadsheets also...[;)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: WMitty

To all, your welcome is most heart felt.
I just can't find the "pocketa-pocketa-Pocketa and brave Walter Mitty won" button [:D]

Since you are a newby, I'm gonna cut you a break. It's "ta-pocketa ta-pocketa ta-pocketa".

WMitty

Post by WMitty »

I thought so - Salute
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Since you are a newby, I'm gonna cut you a break. It's "ta-pocketa ta-pocketa ta-pocketa".
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

Welcome. Welcome to the mad house. Beware Gorns baring movie quotes. There rumored to be speed challanged as your thread will be over and dead before they finish typing your answer. Must by those huge fingers trying to type on a keyboard as I don't see a lot of hissing so the voice to text translator must be down on his ship or something...
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Welcome!

Don't be intimidated by the Grand Campaign. You will make lots of "mistakes" no matter the scenario because of the volume of stuff you don't yet know. One good approach is to start the GC against the AI and play on no matter the mistakes you have make. Save the game every turn so you can go back a turn or three to undo grievous outcomes that would stop you from moving ahead and learning things (e.g. you can't practice amphibious invasions if your whole navy is wiped out). Restart when you feel the need to.

If you are into PBM it's a great experience when you feel you are ready to give it a spin.
dmaramba

Post by dmaramba »

Greetings, Mr. WMitty. It's always nice to welcome a new player aboard.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Welcome!

If you know UV/WPO you will find yourself familiar with many of the basic concepts. AE is simply bigger and better.

If you want a bit of nostalgia, the AE Guadalcanal scen is like UV on steroids. And if you want the same timespan and scen with bigger map, more units, and the best chance to recreate the historical situation I would reccommend the Guadalcanal scen of the DB Team.
bobdina

Post by bobdina »

Welcome aboard.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Nothing like being a Sergeant in your own private Navy.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Welcome to the Pacific Walter!...You have a head start because you have played Uncommon Valor.
This is the same game...after it was injected with steroids and the kid down the street tinkered with the carburetor!

You will start playing this game maybe 5 to 10 times before you have learned about many of the great toys hidden "under the box" and each time you restart, you will wonder why the game did not come with a scenerio starting on day two, (after the Pearl Harbor attack where you just sit back and eat an entire pizza till the computer has worked up a sweat.)LOL

Many great people here in the forums will jump to help you...and very few have tender toes, so don't worry about that.[8D]

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Welcome. Never mind the grumpyness.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Orm

Post by Orm »

Hello, WMitty.

Welcome to the forum. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”