? on reserve pilot pool

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bush

? on reserve pilot pool

Post by bush »

I looked at the pilot replacement screen and clicked on the reserve pool option. At the bottom are several buttons for releasing pilots. Does that mean that unless released the pilots just stay in the reserve pool? If released is there another screen that shows the pilots that are available?

Thanks,

Mike
crsutton

RE: ? on reserve pilot pool

Post by crsutton »

Confession here. I have played the game since day one and never even bothered to open this screen. It looks like the release pilots buttons gives you a way to junk low experienced pilots that are cluttering up your pools. I have always just pulled them out manually and put them in training units but this allows you to save time and just clean house in one click of a button. That is the only reason I can see for this. Now that I know about it I might actually use it...[8D]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dmaramba

Post by dmaramba »

When you access the reserve pool from the pilot replacement screen, you are looking at the pilots available for assignment to a group (=squadron). The reserve pool is made up of pilots who have spent at least one day in a group and have been sent to the reserve to wait for assignment to some other group. You can use the toggle at the top of the screen to view TRACOM, the special reserve for pilots with experience >= 81. You can also toggle to the group reserve. These are pilots assigned to groups but inactive in the group, usually because they are in transit.

Key thing to remember: In no case can you use this screen to assign a pilot to a group. Assignment of pilots to group is done from the Air Group Information screen.

What are the buttons at the bottom of the reserve screen for, the ones that say "release" pilots? They are there for you to use to manage the pools. From the group screen, you can use the buttons to transfer pilots to general reserve or to "retire" them. From the reserve screen, you can use the buttons to retire pilots.

Retiring a pilot means deleting him from the game. Please take this as a hint that you should NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT use these buttons unless you are sure of what you are doing. [;)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Release means forever. Unless they're US, you can't afford it. They'll make fine transport crews.

Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Confession here. I have played the game since day one and never even bothered to open this screen. It looks like the release pilots buttons gives you a way to junk low experienced pilots that are cluttering up your pools. I have always just pulled them out manually and put them in training units but this allows you to save time and just clean house in one click of a button. That is the only reason I can see for this. Now that I know about it I might actually use it...[8D]

Same here it is a bit time consuming but for detail obsessed guys no biggy. Often pilots end up in the reserve that are not good enough to keep (eg. if you must withdraw groups sometimes the pilots are send to the pool - and might not be the bests ones or an emergency disband of groups will send some also to the pool eg. if the enemy will overrun your airfield). But as the posters above said the named button will get rid of pilots you do not want anymore in the reserve...I do not do this but use above method.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Same here it is a bit time consuming but for detail obsessed guys no biggy. Often pilots end up in the reserve that are not good enough to keep (eg. if you must withdraw groups sometimes the pilots are send to the pool - and might not be the bests ones or an emergency disband of groups will send some also to the pool eg. if the enemy will overrun your airfield). But as the posters above said the named button will get rid of pilots you do not want anymore in the reserve...I do not do this but use above method.

And, it might be said that it is rare that a pilot already in the reserve pools does not have some skill that is better than a replacement pilot. So, it is better to pull them out and train them up rather than pull a replacement. The only time this may not be a good idea is when at times like the beginning of 1944 and 1945 when certain pilots (US Navy) arrive out to the replacement pools with much higher experience and skills than previously. Then it might just pay to clean house of some of the less experienced pilots and just go with new replacements.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”