New book review up 'Demolishing the Myth' by Valeriy Zamulin and translated by Stuart Britton

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sullafelix

New book review up 'Demolishing the Myth' by Valeriy Zamulin and translated by Stuart Britton

Post by sullafelix »

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.u ... n-and.html

It is about what really happened at Prokhorovka on July 12, 1943, during the Kursk battle.

Thanks
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
MakeeLearn

RE: New book review up 'Demolishing the Myth' by Valeriy Zamulin and translated by Stuart Britton

Post by MakeeLearn »

Looks like a good read. A total lack of planning innovation on the German side.

Prokhorovka was the just the cherry atop the entire battle, plus all the German armor breakdowns.

76mm

RE: New book review up 'Demolishing the Myth' by Valeriy Zamulin and translated by Stuart Britton

Post by 76mm »

Always good to have another review, although that book came out several years ago as far as I know.
british exil

Post by british exil »

Has anyone read the book yet? If yes please give an honest opinion.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
wodin

Post by wodin »

76mm: Must be a re print then as we only get to choose new releases.

british exil: You think our reviews aren't honest?

We have an agreement with everyone we review for, that we tell the truth and give our honest opinion good or bad. They wouldn't want it any other way either. As long as we don't blatantly exaggerate negatives or lie and just give our honest opinion they can't ask for more. It will do the blog a disservice anyway. You may see a lot of positive reviews on the blog but mainly that's because we are pretty picky on what we review. We are a very small team and just don't have the time to churn out loads of reviews so we pick what we like the look\sound of:) It's one reason why we want someone to help review the more bear and pretzel type games and someone who can review tablet games as we don't own a tablet and we aren't overly keen on bear and pretzel games so aren't the best people to review them.
british exil

Post by british exil »

I did not mean to say that the posts here are dishonest.

But sometimes there is a book that is written in such a dry, complicated way that it is not possible to read page after page and indulge in the read.
Some books appeal to the hardcore reader, but requires a lot of background knowledge to understand the basics of the book.

I meant an honest review in the way, good for the hobby reader or more for the hardcore reader, who has read scores of books on the same subject.

I was in no way attacking anybody here.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
wodin

Post by wodin »

Ahh OK I got you now. It's just against our philosophy to gloss over a review:)

All cool. Hope you enjoy the blog:)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Guys, see:
https://www.amazon.com/Demolishing-Myth ... g+the+myth

A good selection of (generally very positive) reviews there. I haven't read it (Kursk is soooo boring), but IIRC many people give Zamulin credit for shattering more than one myth about the battle (largest tank battle, massive German tank losses, etc).
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

As far as the book goes it is a very good book. It is written from the Soviet side mostly, but it does not go by all of the skewed losses and " death ride of the panzer" older histories. So, yes it does help destroy some myths. The main focus of the book is a dissection of the battle on July 12th.

BE, as far as my book reviews go, you are correct about something. We should add in our blurbs about ourselves what kind of histories we like etc. As Wodin pointed out being small, and having time constraints we really only go for books etc. that we have interest in, author, time period etc.

The books that I like to read and hence review are dry histories. I like to know what where and how, but I have no interest in the 'human' side of the campaigns or battles. I could careless where sergeant Williams slept the night before Waterloo. Wodin on the other hand is exactly the opposite he loves the human element in his histories and probably wouldn't read a dry one like I prefer.

That is not to say I don't like biographies, but again it is how they are done. I was just engrossed in the bio of Simo HäyHä and did a review of it. It is a very good book, but again it is on the dry side for a biography.

I hope that clears up some things, and thank you for reading the blog.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
wodin

Post by wodin »

I on the other hand try and avoid dry books and prefer books with narrative and from soldiers view point etc...so best of both worlds.

Plus I just review WW1 and WW2 books whilst Bob will review all periods.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I have two volumes of Citadel and one of them still has the wrapping on it. I think I have them from Federowicz Publishing.

Return to “General Discussion”