Razing the Reich II (no Manstein63)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Michael T

RE: Razing the Reich II (no Manstein63)

Post by Michael T »

T20, 30 Oct 1941. As expected the weather for most of the Central Front turned to snow. Thus my units in this weather zone (between Kursk and D-Town) copped a hun battering. He also deepened his wedge that is pointing straight at Stalino. The rest of the front was mud, thankfully. The Lake Seliger pocket is still holding out, repelling numerous attacks against the airfield that is supplying the trapped defenders. Most of the divisions in the pocket are down to 6-7K now. Next turn is predeicted as mud across the front.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I really am copping the bad end of the weather stick in this game so far. Predicted mud somehow turned in to Blizzard for 2/3 of the front. Consequently the Lake Seliger pocket has been wiped out and my defensive line in front of Moscow pierced. Not to mention other unpalatable reversals. I guess I can can expect some clear weather to return now rather than snow....

Will provide a map when I am done with this move.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

End Soviet T22 13th November 1941 (Snow)

The Hun resume their attacks after an intermittent mud season. Two major thrusts aimed at Moscow make some headway but a small pocket is relieved by Soviet counter attacks. In the south similar tactics are employed with two major thrusts, Soviet counter attacks rout LAH and throw back some advancing Rumanian Cavalry.

The Axis VP total sits at 198. He needs 205 to keep this game alive as per our HR SD VC:

Soviet SD victory check is made at the Beginning of the Soviet 1st January 1942 turn. If the German VP total is equal to or less than 205 VP then the Soviets win an Auto Victory.

I really can’t see any way he can avoid losing this game come January 1942. Just not enough territory has been gained.

Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

good to see that this is still going MT :)

but dam, that image is not showing up for me!!

will you give a front wide report soon?

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Sorry, some kind of technical glitch with the map. Here it is:

Attachments
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 171 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Sean has resigned this game upon our mutual agreement. He has completed his last snow turn for 1941. All that remains is blizzard and the retribution of a large and powerful Soviet Army with stock blizzard rules up their sleeve. As per our Sudden Death house rule:

Soviet SD victory check is made at the Beginning of the Soviet 1st January 1942 turn. If the German VP total is equal to or less than 205 VP then the Soviets win an Auto Victory

The Germans have 201 VP, 4 short of the 205 needed to avoid sudden death in January 1942. Quite obviously he cannot reach 205 VP. Most likely he will have substantially fewer come January 1942.

He has been an honourable and reliable opponent and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone as an opponent.

I will be taking a break again from WITE for a while, at least till the next patch comes out an most likely continuing my hiatus beyond that.

Till next time :)

Final Map Notes.

This is the position *before* Soviet moves T24 27th Nov 1941. Note the pocket just in front of Moscow. I have an airfield in that pocket so I am fairly confident they may well have been able to be rescued as next turn is a stock blizzard turn.

Attachments
23.jpg
23.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 171 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

FWIW listeners I have played my last game of WITE 1.0. My guns are hung up and framed in a glass case. For the record, 24 games played, for 23 wins and 1 draw.

I can’t find any new PC games that really inspire me ATM. I have Steel Tigers and WITE 2.0 firmly on the radar, but both are a way off yet (both of which I am happy to playtest also, if anyone from 2by3/Matrix is listening).

So back to my first love for the foreseeable future, board gaming. I am playing a very cool Civil War game (board game) via vassal called ‘The US Civil War’ by GMT games.

Otherwise I will see you around the forums.

MT
shermanny

Post by shermanny »

paras can be swapped 3 for one gds rifle division at some point in 1942. Until then, they're just good rifle brigades, but they might be useful in reserve as well as for babysitting forts. And if you ever need some guards rifle divisions right quick, and you have those brigades, there's your answer.

Later, I think in 1943, you can build guards AB divisions out of AB brigades. These are good units and smaller than Corps, so they have their uses. I like them in swamps. They don't draw too much supplies and they even have some offensive potential if the Germans try and hold the swamp with Hungarian brigades or what have you.
you cannot refine it
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

FWIW listeners I have played my last game of WITE 1.0. My guns are hung up and framed in a glass case. For the record, 24 games played, for 23 wins and 1 draw.

I can’t find any new PC games that really inspire me ATM. I have Steel Tigers and WITE 2.0 firmly on the radar, but both are a way off yet (both of which I am happy to playtest also, if anyone from 2by3/Matrix is listening).

So back to my first love for the foreseeable future, board gaming. I am playing a very cool Civil War game (board game) via vassal called ‘The US Civil War’ by GMT games.

Otherwise I will see you around the forums.

MT

Good Luck old friend, 2by3 is very picky on play testers - guessing you have been a little to negative and claimed the wrong people as friends in your past.

See you on the battle fields of 2.0 if it happens in a few years.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Stay positive :0

Viva México
Hunter63

Post by Hunter63 »

ORIGINAL: Shermanny

paras can be swapped 3 for one gds rifle division at some point in 1942. Until then, they're just good rifle brigades, but they might be useful in reserve as well as for babysitting forts. And if you ever need some guards rifle divisions right quick, and you have those brigades, there's your answer.

Later, I think in 1943, you can build guards AB divisions out of AB brigades. These are good units and smaller than Corps, so they have their uses. I like them in swamps. They don't draw too much supplies and they even have some offensive potential if the Germans try and hold the swamp with Hungarian brigades or what have you.

Not so sure your the best person to be giving advise.

Pelton vs Shermanny

tm.asp?m=3738621

Good to see your still around.

Hope to see you again also MT on the field for 2.0

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I will be there. Good luck and keep safe to you and yours.
Icier

Post by Icier »

Yeah Michael, I will be joining you.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
glvaca

Post by glvaca »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Michael T
As for games between players of equal skill the balance still favors the Reds for novices and below. Beyond those levels the decision about the mild or stock blizzard is a critical pathway. As a Russian player I would not ever agree to playing with mild blizzard against a top German. Suicidal IMO.

Fortunately there are no top German players out there that require mild blizzard. Well maybe one. [:'(]

And who might that be I wonder [:'(]

Return to “After Action Reports”