soft and hard units

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

apec

soft and hard units

Post by apec »

It looks as the unit stats in SC3 have been expanded compared to SC2.
In terms of ground units, we have now Tanks, Mechanized, Soft and Hard categories. Now Tanks is obviously referred to Tanks and Heavy Tanks but I wonder what falls in the other categories e.g. Mechanized includes light tanks too? Which units belong to the soft and which to the hard categories?

BillRunacre

RE: soft and hard units

Post by BillRunacre »

In brief, something like a Garrison will be a Soft target, a Corps or Army will be Hard, and the aim of this is to provide greater differentiation between all the various unit types.

It would take me a bit more time than I currently have available to list them all, but I'd like to think that the categories follow a logical structure so there shouldn't be any surprises.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

That doesn't sound quite right - in (all?) games, 'hard' target refers to being armored. So infantry corps etc would be soft targets, while tanks and such are hard.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Mantis, in previous games we had Tanks as 'Hard' as well but for this game we introduced several new categorization types such as Tank, Light Armor, Artillery, Strategic Artillery and so on, and this allows us to fine tune much more and as a result we have much better control over expected combat calculation outcomes than what we had in our older titles.

TheBattlefield

Post by TheBattlefield »

ORIGINAL: Mantis

That doesn't sound quite right - in (all?) games, 'hard' target refers to being armored. So infantry corps etc would be soft targets, while tanks and such are hard.
In the end it is only a question of naming the child. Stroke "hard" armored target and set "hard" to attack target then it fits again. [;)]
Elite Forces - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4491689
wodin

Post by wodin »

That sounds promising.

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Mantis, in previous games we had Tanks as 'Hard' as well but for this game we introduced several new categorization types such as Tank, Light Armor, Artillery, Strategic Artillery and so on, and this allows us to fine tune much more and as a result we have much better control over expected combat calculation outcomes than what we had in our older titles.

apec

Post by apec »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

In brief, something like a Garrison will be a Soft target, a Corps or Army will be Hard, and the aim of this is to provide greater differentiation between all the various unit types.

It would take me a bit more time than I currently have available to list them all, but I'd like to think that the categories follow a logical structure so there shouldn't be any surprises.

Thank you Bill,

sounds good to me; it looks we will have more diversified type of units, which IMO is a nice addition to the game.

cheers
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Sure, I can see how that would give you more ability to fine tune things - thanks for the explanation. Just jumped out as odd to these old grognard eyes!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”