How supply works

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

EwaldvonKleist

How supply works

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

To get used with the sometimes counterintuitive supply system in WITE, I decided to write an extract of the manual containing the important numbers and mixed this with some tests and playtips. I hope this will make life easier for others too.
Please note: The current version of my document (including other aspects as airdrops, support units and MP cost tables) can be downloaded as a ZIP file.
Link: Download link

Here is the current table of content of the document:
1. How supply works (including the topic HQ buildup and some tips&tricks)
2. How airdrops work
3. MP cost for entering enemy hexagons
4. How support units work
5. How to read the replacement phase log
6. How leader rolls work (work in progress)

The following text is only a part of the full document and not completely up to date anymore. Take it as a preview :)

How supply works:
There are two kinds of distances for supply purposes:
-MP distance: Equal to the MP cost for a 99 morale motorized unit to move from the supply source (Railhead, HQ, city) to the receiver
-hexagon distance: Number of hexagons which have to be crossed on the shortest way from the supply source to the receiver, regardless of hex control or type (=as the crow flies)
Any combat or FBD/NKPS unit can draw supplies from the HQ it is directly attached to, a city or a railhead. It is in most cases more efficient if the unit draws its MPs from the HQ instead of other sources.
Supply from HQ:
The following conditions have to be met so supplies can flow from the railhead to the HQ and from there to the units:
1. MP distance unit-HQ: <21MPs (not taken into account if the hexagon distance is <2)
2. Hexagon distance unit-HQ: <6hexagons
3. MP distance eligible HQ-railhead: <101MPs
4. Hexagon distance HQ-railhead: <26hexagons
Therefore, the maximum distance from the railhead which still allows unit resupply is <31hexagons and <121MPs.
If the conditions 3&4 are not fulfilled, the subordinate unit can still be supplied from the dumps which existed in the HQ unit. The conditions 1&2 still have to be fulfilled in this case.

Supply from railhead:
If the conditions for HQ supply are not met, the unit attempts to draw supplies from the closest railhead if the following conditions are fulfilled:
1. MP distance unit-railhead <101MPs
2. Hexagon distance unit-railhead <21hexagons
The supply delivered is reduced to 20/MP distance for MP distance >20MPs.
HQs and supply:
During the logistic phase, the HQs serve as a supply source to directly attached units if all conditions are met. The units will be first resupplied from the dumps in the HQ unit. If the dumps are used, the HQ draws more supplies from the railhead and tries to satisfy the need of the units with it. If the supply situation is good, the HQ then stockpiles dumps for the next turns.
Cities:
HQs and units can draw supplies from cities if the hexagon distance is <2.
Special rules:
Airbase units, fortified zones and security units resupply individually (not from HQs) without penalties (new in 1.08.09)

Motor Pool:
Number of free vehicles (not in units or used for HQ movement in the last turn). The need is determined by the supply need and transportation cost during the last turn. Basic number is ½*generic vehicles. Trucks taken for HQ movement is equal to Dumps*MPused/50 for every HQ.
Truck attrition:
Dependant on the use during the turn. Generic vehicle attrition is proportional to the movement.

General supply (fuel) tactics:

-keep your units in HQ supply range
-air transport fuel (more efficient if the distance to a friendly airbase is <2hexagons)
-convert hexagons in your line of advance with one unit, the next turn the other units will not pay the MP penalty for entering pending hexagons, important for motorized units because there fuel need is proportional to the MP used, not the distance travelled

Special tricks:

-optimal HQ position is between the railhead and the units, but 5hexagons away from the units (I have run tests for this and Pelton confirmed this)
-if supply/fuel dumps are moved in a unit, this also requires trucks like if it were moved in a HQ (I have run tests for this, still waiting for a confirmation from Pelton or someone else who should know this)
-I don’t know whether it is more efficient to move dumps with the HQ or the unit truck wise. I have no idea how to test this without getting used with the editor and create a special test scenario. Anyone else knows this?

While doing the tests/putting the saves in folders/editing scenarios for special tests I corrupted some scenarios so I have to reinstall :D.
It would be great if someone could contribute a similar guide to air transport of supplies, because I can’t test it at the moment.

Attachments
How supply works.zip
(82.53 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
EwaldvonKleist

RE: How supply works

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Please note: The current version of my document can now be downloaded as a ZIP file, because the forum doe not accept tables.
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

Good stuff bro.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Please note: The current Link does not work, things will be repaired on the weekend. The full document also contains notes regarding optimal airdrop of supplies and the current unit morale/MP cost table for infantry, cavalry and mech.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Thanks for the kind words Model.

As promised I fixed the link. Please report any mistakes you spot, be it content, grammar or spelling. I plan to write something similiar to the topic leader/HQ rolls but this is very complicated and I doubt I will have time for this during the next 1 1/2 month.

Somewhere somebody wrote that either Pelton, TheOne or Gfm. W. Model is working on a supply tutorial? Who of the three does this? Of course feel invited to use passages from my "how supply works" document.

Happy new year
EvK
Searry

Post by Searry »

Could someone try to interpret this manual?
I don't understand how the MPs work. How do I convert them to hexes?
I really hope someone could make a detailed post with examples and explanations because the supply system of this game is very scary and I think in fact completely mysterious.

The thing I don't seem to grasp is how the MP thing works.

"There are two kinds of distances for supply purposes:
-MP distance: Equal to the MP cost for a 99 morale motorized unit to move from the supply source (Railhead, HQ, city) to the receiver"
Could someone try to decipher what this means with an example?

How does terrain affect supply movement? For example, how does it move in the pripyat marshes?

I really think the official manual should have somehow tried to explain the supply system to stupid people like me since it seems needlessly complicated.

I'm anxious to try to learn this game, but it seems incredibly complex when compared to WITW which has clear mechanics.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Hi, I will try to explain it with an example. Just wait a few hours until i am back on my PC...
I did not include examples to keep it short and on the point, but will probably add this
I agree that the supply system is like Black magic sometimes
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

acros clear open terrain
1 MP =1hex
acros light woods
2 MP= 1hex

In most cases your total MP are a mixture of both .
40 hexes of clear open terain + 5 hexes of light woods =50 MP

Minor rivers in the supply path would substract 1 aditional mp, major rivers 3-5 (irc)

37 hexes of clear open terain + 3 minor rivers+ 5 hexes of light woods =50 MP

keep in mind that this is a very fortunate example
in wich 50 MP ranslate into 42 hexes.

As a visual aid
, in the game options, enable the show allowed movement option .
Than pick a hq unit behind the front line ( they start the turn with 50 Mp) and try to move it back to the railhead , if it can reach that hex with 25 MP Remaing you are 25 MP from the railhead and in a good supply situation.
If it can reach the said railhead , with only 10 MP remaing, you are 40 MP from the railhead and in a bad supply situation.

Searry

Post by Searry »

How did you come into these conclusions?
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Morvael and Gabriel Bora already explained most things.
In the manual, you can find a table with the movement point cost for rivers, forests, mountains, Zone of control to zone of control movement etc.
In addition, there is a morale related MP cost to enter enemy hexagons and pending hexagons. The supply calculation of this MP cost is done with a 99morale motorized unit (which pays 1MP on top for moving across pending or enemy hexagons). Units with less morale pay more, you can find the table in the document.
Example: A swamp will not change the hexagon distance, but the MP distance from the railhead to the unit/HQ is will be more compared to clear hexagons.
ok?

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Attached the newest version of "how supply works" which is a little bit extended. Please also note the link to a guide which shows the facts listed here in practical use: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,4407.html
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

You're missing a couple of (minor) points:

1. In the first supply sub-segment eligible HQ units receive supply and eligible attached combat units in turn receive supply from their HQ units. If the following circumstances for a HQ unit are true, the HQ unit will receive additional supplies and fuel, and has the potential of receiving more than its requirement (each condition met increases the amount received):
- The HQ has over 50 percent of its vehicle requirement.
- The HQ must be within 10 MPs of the railhead.
- There is a vehicle surplus in the motor pool.

2. The second supply sub-segment (direct supply from railhead, if not getting supply from HQ) is actually AFTER the rail repair segment, so you can actually place units receiving direct supply from the railhead a bit further, calculating the distance from the newly repaired railhead. First segment is before the repair, so you need to play by the numbers seen on the unit popup on the current turn.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Thank you very much Nix 77, I will include this.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Just saw this. Downloading now. Thank you
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

You are welcome :-)
The current version of the document contains a few mistakes and I will try to correct things until next weekend. Will write here once I updated it.
Edit: I think some parts of the HQ build up section are not correct+I not yet included what Nix 77 wrote.
Pajoenien

Post by Pajoenien »

Thanks for producing a great outline of an important game factor. Good work.
Paul Nienhaus
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Hi Pajoenien, sorry for missing your comment. Thank you. Note that there are updated versions and an even more in-detail supply article in the library of WitE resources linked in my signature.

Return to “The War Room”