Crimea River 2016

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Jake9

Crimea River 2016

Post by Jake9 »

That's my first crack on submitting an AAR. Let me know how do you find it and you have any comments;

Opening moves and rational behind it:
Given how tough things are expected to be in Northern Turkey, I am moving all my Stealth forces and support them with 2 Growlers. Plan is to try and limit as much of the RuAf that will decide to come for a visit southbound and hopefully start patrolling closer to their bases. I am picking up already multiple signals and expect to deal with their best. Additionally, I am moving an AWACS close to Istanbul hoping to spot their fleet. For now, my radars are picking up only 1-2 ship based helicopters. Sending also every Turkey based F-15 available to the North East so to allow less space and better coverage for the Stealth planes.
Regarding Syria, I decide that given the fact of having 3 days to deal with Crimean targets, I should try and wipe them out clean as fast as possible. All available Turkish and Greek F-16’s will meet up East of Cyprus in a combined effort to at least kill their S300 that are radiating plus their airbase. Doubt that Syrian Airforce could do any damage against my Patriot protected airbase in Incirlik but I don’t want to take any chances.
Their Med fleet will be contained initially by the F-15’s based in Crete. I have also set a meeting point SW of Crete and sending there every F-18 available with an Air to Surface weapon or decoy. Hopefully, I’ll save enough to take out the Syrian naval base.
Moving left on the map, all available Spanish and Italian Eurofighters are moving to the North of Italy while I have every AWACS available up in the air scanning for threats.
Up in the North, I am currently moving my F-22’s and all available Jammers towards Romania. They will refuel there and hopefully will pave the way for the big strike package that is forming slowly and consists of: B52’s , B1’s, Rafale, Tornados,F-16 and anything else that can carry an Air to Surface weapon will get to the West of Romania, refuel and then proceed. My rational behind it is that I should apply as massive force as possible instead of attempting light skirmishes against a heavily defended target.
While overall I don’t feel missing strikers, Tankers and EW platforms will come to a premium. Med fleet and Syria have been allocated only the carrier bound EW birds but given the heavy defences of Crimea, I feel that I don’t have any other choice.

Wish me luck and stay tuned :)[:)]

[:)]
IainMcNeil

RE: Crimea River 2016

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its great you are doing an AAR but my advice would be to use pictures and annotate them if you can. This makes the best AAR's in my opinion :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Jake9

Post by Jake9 »

Noted!
Will try and upload a few to show the development

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

J
magi

Post by magi »

I will be interested in following this one.... I helped in its beta testing....l
Jake9

Post by Jake9 »

Here is the latest update that covers the second hour of the operations;
B-1 & B-52 are on their way to the shores of Albania where they will regroup and top-up their fuel. Once there, all strike elements from France, Northern Italy and Germany will take off and meet up in Central Romania for the big strike. My intention is to launch all MALD and MALD-J assets first, followed by HARM’s and try to take out as much as possible of their air defences. Still debating if I should target hangars or radars with the cruise missiles.
Med theatre: All available F-18’s on their way .They will refuel SW of Crete and attack the Russian fleet at first and then Syria (hopefully!). F-15s from Crete have managed to shoot down already most of the Mig-29’s that come one by one. They are running low though on Amraams.
Greek F-16 are still on their way to meet up with Turkish F-16 and then attack Northern Syria .
My plan is to launch all decoys, followed by HARM’s and then the cruise missiles to attack the airport.
Northern Turkey Theatre:
One word: Oh Boy! Ruaf has been aggressive, attacking the radars and picking up my CAPs with either long range SAM’s or AA-6’s. Most worrisome is that what I thought as Stealth are not so. Despite heavy jamming (3 Growler’s) and distance, they managed to shoot down a couple of my F-35’s and did attack also F-22’s. Given the intensity of their attack I am relocating everything southern to Incirlic.
Overall, I am concerned mainly with what appears to be almost inefficient EW. Priorities remain for the first 24hours all SAM’s either in Crimea or Syria.
I did notice also that a massive number of cruise missiles was launched but I am yet to see them. I don’t want to cheat so decided to maintain the existing CAPS in Germany, Italy and Turkey.
Losses for now are 20+ for Russia (MiG-29’s from the Carrier plus attacking SU-35’s)
On my side, 2-3 TuAF F-16 plus 2 F-35’s.
These are my thoughts and battle plan. Update with some snapshots to follow tomorrow.
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Nice! I'm also playing through this scenario, will be interesting how you go about reducing the Russians! Cheers.
Kitchens Sink

Post by Kitchens Sink »

If I designed this scenario correctly, your next update should contain a lot of 4-letter words. [:D]
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Indeed, there are some nasty surprises for sure.
Jake9

Post by Jake9 »

Hi chaps,
apologies for the delay, a 3 month old daughter had different opinion as to my priorities :)
For a start:
CRAP!
GOSH!
S**T!
F**K!
That describes it pretty much

South East Front:
For a total of 32 HARMs I destroyed the following:
1x Radar (Bill Board B [9S15M Obzor])
2x Radar (High Screen B [9S19M2 Imbir])
4x SA-23a Gladiator [9A83M] TELAR
1x SA-23a Gladiator [9A84] LLV
2x SA-23b Giant [9A82M] TELAR
1x SA-23b Giant [9A85] LLV

I called that successful and now my flights are returning.

Kuznetzov decided to send probably all their available Mig29's against Suda. Good thing that my Eagles were ready and in the process took them all down.
I have now all available F-18's heading against them, hopefully that will be success No2.
Now, on the North front, I am busy dealing with roughly 100+ inbound missiles!!! I have multiple flights heading against them but I am not sure I have enough missiles.
On the good news side, I have two flights of F-22 close to the Romanian coast and 5-6 Jammers relatively behind them.They have started picking up lonely SU-35s trying to clear the path for the North Europe attack package that included also the B's.

On the bad news side, Incirlik was on the receiving end of a number of Air to Ground missiles. For a reason that I cannot figure out, Patriot batteries engaged them but halfway in the air they all changed course!!
Bug or not, I decided to carry on with a base non operating.Everything now is based on Badirma and in the process of rearming.

Once again, congrats to everyone that took part in designing this mission. Still feels that I haven't encountered all surprises.

Jake

Return to “After Action Report”