Problem modding icons

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Foxendown

Problem modding icons

Post by Foxendown »

Some time ago I created a set of NTDS icons which were identical to the originals except for colour changes; I changed hostile from red to orange and unfriendly from orange to purple. I did this because I have an eyesight problem which makes it hard for me to see the colour red especially against a variegated background. The mod has worked very well. However, it has been bugging me for some time that the directional pointers attached to the icons have stayed at the default colours and I thought I would try to fix this. The icons are of course ordinary graphics files and easy to edit but I don't know where the pointers can be found and I think they may be created on the fly (vector graphics?) so may not be easily changeable.

Does anyone know how I might go about this?
Foxendown

RE: Problem modding icons

Post by Foxendown »

No-one knows? Someone on the development team perhaps? I appreciate very few people are affected by this problem with discerning red (perhaps just me?).
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi Fox

Pretty sure the line color is a property we set in the actual code. We'll see if we can do something.

What colors are hard for you to see?

Thanks!

Mike
Foxendown

Post by Foxendown »

I appreciate it Mike, many thanks. Basically it's just pure red. It tends to blur, there isn't enough contrast against blue and green. Colours with red in them (e.g. purple, pink, orange) are no problem). Attachment shows my modded "unfriendly" icons (my hostile ones are the stock orange used for unfriendly).
Attachments
new_icons.zip
(74.32 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ok I'll talk to D. I'll see what we can do.

Mike
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I just want to say that this is stellar support.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
magi

Post by magi »

i would really like to be able to select and change colors of units....
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Add another. I'm partially (pretty badly) colorblind and would love if the enemy could be orange. I think I'd be able to see them against the dark ocean background much better.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Foxendown

Post by Foxendown »

Dave, I've attached a copy of my mod (which I dubbed Orange Pill :-) ) in case you or others find it helps. There is also an image showing what it looks like when in use. You can back up the originals and overwrite or use JSGME (it's JSGME ready). Of course this doesn't change the colour of the graphics that are generated by the game e.g confidence areas, if that's the right term. Apart from the course/direction pointers, I don't find those a problem because they are bigger and the lines are thicker. It would be nice if those could be changed to line up with the icons but IMHO it's not a big enough issue to distract the team from bigger ones, unless it's simple to do.

It's easy to change the colour of the icon sets (if a bit laborious), provided you have basic knowledge of a graphics/paint package. The only problem I had was that I had to reset transparency for some of the icons (if I remember rightly it was the GIFs). In theory you can use whatever colours you want but in practice contrast is an issue. Red on blue or green gives especially poor contrast and that is most of the map. You can turn off the BMNG layer but that way you miss out on the glories of the map.
Attachments
orangepill.zip
(440.61 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Super. Thanks very much. And yes, I have no problems with the rectangles and circles. It's just sometimes hunting for those little aircraft and missile icons. Subs and surface ships usually aren't an issue either because they tend to show up close to something of mine :-)
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”