How far away?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

wodin

How far away?

Post by wodin »

0.How far away are we from having obstacles (wire of all types, Knife rests, log hurdles, log crib, tetrahedron, dragons teeth, anti tank ditch, abatis and berm)?

How far from new terrain features?

How far from weather and day\night modifiers (snow, mud, fog)?

How far from mines (tank and anti personnel)?

How far from fortifications (trench, wood bunker, concrete bunker, fox hole)?

As soon as these features are in game then I'll jump on in:)

rico21

RE: How far away?

Post by rico21 »

Not wearied you would not like this game

Attachments
WolfFunny..erSheep.jpg
WolfFunny..erSheep.jpg (310.96 KiB) Viewed 165 times
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

I think the first thing that should be mentioned is peter has never claimed this to be ASL.
We all compare this to a game, that we have fond memories of ,that has had decades to develop.
My opinion is the developers have done a fantastic job so far :) ,
I sort of gather you haven`t actually bought the game ?
Maybe have a go at it first?
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

Having played this game around a week, my main concern is now that the AI and other bugs would get fixed and UI paid some more attention before any new features added.

Also what has been discussed before, the game needs to show more info because sometimes you can't know if something that happens is caused by a bug or maybe that's how it is supposed to work. You can also see that happening in several Let's play videos made for TOTH.

Anyway, it still is a good game as it is and I enjoy playing it, and supposedly the upcoming UPDATE2 will fix many of these problems. I've played ASLSK before and knowing those rules certainly helps, although there are differences.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: zoikkis

Having played this game around a week, my main concern is now that the AI and other bugs would get fixed and UI paid some more attention before any new features added.

Also what has been discussed before, the game needs to show more info because sometimes you can't know if something that happens is caused by a bug or maybe that's how it is supposed to work. You can also see that happening in several Let's play videos made for TOTH.

Anyway, it still is a good game as it is and I enjoy playing it, and supposedly the upcoming UPDATE2 will fix many of these problems. I've played ASLSK before and knowing those rules certainly helps, although there are differences.

See my message in the first post:
tm.asp?m=4034427
marcdhanna

Post by marcdhanna »

ORIGINAL: wodin

0.How far away are we from having obstacles (wire of all types, Knife rests, log hurdles, log crib, tetrahedron, dragons teeth, anti tank ditch, abatis and berm)?

Sorry to say, but don't you think some of these pre-trial criteria are way over the top? How many scenarios require tetrahedrons or dragons compared to the vast array of other possible and real actions that occurred during WW2? 'Wire of all types' yeah right....even ASL fails on those grounds... [8|] Surely I hope you are joking.

To me it sounds like an excuse not to try the game until all possible DLC are perfected. Maybe you should wait until ToTH Six is released in 5-10 years [;)]

Not belonging to the Legion of Merit, but nevertheless I will dare to say that if you want to attract people to your review blog, you might want to consider a more flexible approach to trying and evaluating games. Because based on your remarks, I'm not going to 'jump on in' to your game review web pages.
Prajñāpāramitā
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hmm...obviously I don't expect all that I mentioned.

Everyone has there wants in a wargame and for me having not played ASL my wants are probably different to those who have.

Just wondered if the game down the line will have these features and if there is any time schedule.

Tactical scale is my favourite but I've decided to only buy future wargames that have the features I want. At least more than other games out there otherwise I'd just go back to an older game.

Also I'm probably spoiled with regards to in depth features after working and testing another game. I'm not necessarily wanting all the features that has but do want at least the major obstacles, major fortifications plus mines in place.

For me what seems to make ASL "ASL" is all the detail it offers. It's why I keep looking at it at least:)

I'm just really desperate to play a tactical game that brings all the good parts of previous tactical games into the one game and also add the things those games are missing. TOTH has the potential to do this.

Also can I say this wa sin no way men't as a dig at TOTH in any way. I'm actually looking forward to see how it progresses:)

Finally when it comes to the Blog I rarely actually do the reviews. Mainly review those I've been looking forward too:) So please don't let this post effect how the blog is seen. I never meant this to be seen as some sort of dig at TOTH in anyway.

Tring to get the Blog up and running and the name out there is really difficult and I'm doing it for the communities of the things I cover. A lot of time is spent on it all for free and I'm disappointed and upset I seem to have lost at least one reader, certainly not how I wanted this post to be taken.

I do hope you change your mind. My thoughts on tactical games have no effect on our reviews. Especially me wanting the ULTIMATE game which I think TOTH could be which I think should be seen as a compliment.
ORIGINAL: marcdhanna

Sorry to say, but don't you think some of these pre-trial criteria are way over the top? How many scenarios require tetrahedrons or dragons compared to the vast array of other possible and real actions that occurred during WW2? 'Wire of all types' yeah right....even ASL fails on those grounds... [8|] Surely I hope you are joking.

To me it sounds like an excuse not to try the game until all possible DLC are perfected. Maybe you should wait until ToTH Six is released in 5-10 years [;)]

Not belonging to the Legion of Merit, but nevertheless I will dare to say that if you want to attract people to your review blog, you might want to consider a more flexible approach to trying and evaluating games. Because based on your remarks, I'm not going to 'jump on in' to your game review web pages.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Hmm...obviously all that I mentioned[8D]

Attachments
berlin1.jpg
berlin1.jpg (280.51 KiB) Viewed 165 times
wodin

Post by wodin »

Not sure if I should be liking it or not...Though my ugly mug on any chit isn't advised.

I do like the Hippy stuff though..as it goes with my musical likes.
marcdhanna

Post by marcdhanna »

Hmm...obviously I don't expect all that I mentioned.

Everyone has there wants in a wargame and for me having not played ASL my wants are probably different to those who have.

Just wondered if the game down the line will have these features and if there is any time schedule.

Tactical scale is my favourite but I've decided to only buy future wargames that have the features I want. At least more than other games out there otherwise I'd just go back to an older game.

Also I'm probably spoiled with regards to in depth features after working and testing another game. I'm not necessarily wanting all the features that has but do want at least the major obstacles, major fortifications plus mines in place.

For me what seems to make ASL "ASL" is all the detail it offers. It's why I keep looking at it at least:)

I'm just really desperate to play a tactical game that brings all the good parts of previous tactical games into the one game and also add the things those games are missing. TOTH has the potential to do this.

Also can I say this wa sin no way men't as a dig at TOTH in any way. I'm actually looking forward to see how it progresses:)

Finally when it comes to the Blog I rarely actually do the reviews. Mainly review those I've been looking forward too:) So please don't let this post effect how the blog is seen. I never meant this to be seen as some sort of dig at TOTH in anyway.

Tring to get the Blog up and running and the name out there is really difficult and I'm doing it for the communities of the things I cover. A lot of time is spent on it all for free and I'm disappointed and upset I seem to have lost at least one reader, certainly not how I wanted this post to be taken.

I do hope you change your mind. My thoughts on tactical games have no effect on our reviews. Especially me wanting the ULTIMATE game which I think TOTH could be which I think should be seen as a compliment.

Hello, happy for the explanation and it's appreciated. My apologies for demonstrating my mirthful nature in a challenging way.

You've regained a reader and changed my perception. I like your idea for an ultimate PC turned based tactical; like you, I have my hopes set on TotH.

I know how hard it can be to start up something new and gain a following. I'll subscribe to your blog then.
Prajñāpāramitā
wodin

Post by wodin »

marcdhanna: Big thanks:)
rico21

Post by rico21 »

wodin

Post by wodin »

rico still confused..even more so as you've posted something similar in the Flashpiont forum..have I upset you or something?
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Anyone can post anything anywhere [:D]
You want to play honestly OK then answer to this question :
Why your site don't talk TOTH then we saw you many times here?
wodin

Post by wodin »

I haven't had it sent to me for review. The blog started after it was released. That's the reason:)

I'm sure when any DLC is released then you'll see a review:) We can only review what is sent to us. Release date of the game was end of Feb, the blog only started up beginning of April. After that date (April) we get sent any new release for review.

I wont be the one reviewing any future DLC etc. It will be one of my team. I had a quick go during pre releases and realised it wasn't for me. I've promised myself only to review games I have a good feeling I'll enjoy. Ones I might not will go to another member of my team. I know if I had reviewed it at release I wouldn't have done the game many favours and I didn't want to do that to Peter after all the ahrd work he ha dput into it. That's another reason why I'm looking forward to the things I mentioned cos then I KNOW the review would be very favourable to the game. Anyway that's all beside the point. We haven't been sent it. As I said any future DLC we will get a chance and I expect a member of the team will review it.

Last yes anyone can post anything, but posting some cryptic message with an obvious negative connotations across two different game forums and aimed at one person can be seen as abit much. Either way we'll see what Matrix say about it. Could well be seen as OK by them and that's fine by me.

Now if your posts are because you think TOTH has been hard to by me and the blog maybe you should have asked me why first? As I've just said there is no secret agenda against the game.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Guys cool down. We listen to every opinion out there. Don't trash each other, play a game and have fun instead.
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
wodin

Post by wodin »

Wasn't to bothered Paullus until he posted the same picture in a different game forum at the same time. Felt abit wrong then.

personally I'd like to shake hands and forget about it.
marcdhanna

Post by marcdhanna »

One thing for sure after all this I just had to check out the Flashpoint series and it looks interesting but kind of expensive.

Personally I think 'Secret Weapon Chief' is a pretty cool handle [:)] one you could adopt as a brand name for your blog... Rico you can assign the handle to me if Wodin doesn't want it...[;)]

One advantage of being a reviewer is getting free copies of the game, nice perk! The rest of us have to buy it to try it? I need to be a reviewer! [X(]

So, back to the topic, of these items you have asked for to be added to the game, I'm thinking:

knife rests= a metal or glass support for a carving knife or carving fork at table is not a necessary feature :)

Log hurdles only necessary for some kind of training grounds scenario, so we can do without that?

Log crib feature unnecessary unless we are going to train our toddlers on how to play the game...

I played one scenario with a night visibility limit already so that is in the game.

Weather can be okay as a feature but not necessary for base game as it was not so much necessary for the base ABCD Advanced Squad Leader. let's face it commanders generally like good weather for attacking since ancient times.

Mines -- yes, important. Maybe they are in the game and I haven't rumbled across them?

There is a trench fortification that is generic so far, but good enough to try the game imo

Anyway looking forward to Update 2!!

cheers all -- have fun! Bow to That which has allowed us to enjoy each other's company! [&o]

Prajñāpāramitā
wodin

Post by wodin »

Free games sounds great but running a blog is a lot of work. Obviously a professional game page like RPS are paid and it's a full time job, being a blog it's a spare time thing trying to do as much as you can in your free time. I'd really like to publish something everyday be it news etc, but obviously it's more or less impossible to do in a leisure time pursuit...

Going back to the free game thing, I've approached several people now to join us and review games and have been turned down each time. So it seems to most people the perk isn't enough to warrant the work involved. Funny enough if you look at the blog I personally get very few game freebies (though really they aren't free, we have to work for them in effect) as I don't do that many reviews. Though I am doing Wings Over Flanders Field UE review today plus a book review. Also need to get a couple of interviews done.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Blogging is hard work. I know, I had an ASL/SASL/GSASL blogg for a while but don't have the time to keep it going. Just too much work on TotH stuff [;)]
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”