OT-Traveling in Japan & Oceania

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anthropoid

OT-Traveling in Japan & Oceania

Post by Anthropoid »

My wife and I are going to do a vacation in that part of the world in a year or so. Japan is the most likely destination, but I'm also curious about other possibilities. In particular, I'd like to visit Borneo, the Solomons/Bismarck Islands, possibly Sumatra or Java.

I realize that is far too much to do on one trip; picking on locality and spending several weeks there is I'm sure the wiser choice, except perhaps for the Solomons where a couple hops from one island to the next might be the way to go?

So two questions:

1. If you were going for a three week vacation in Japan, what would you not miss out on?

2. What parts of Oceania are malaria free these days? Are there nice malaria free tropical islands in the Solomons that have something like regular small plane service to them?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
PaxMondo

RE: OT-Traveling in Japan & Oceania

Post by PaxMondo »

Malaria is not the only concern ... if you go anywhere in the tropics be sure your yellow card is fully punched ... several of them are a series that can take up to 1 year to complete (you need to start now) and they are NOT commonly available so you have to schedule for them with your doc generally at an Oc. Health location. Consult your physician for specifics.

good news is that once you are current, mostly they are good for 10 years or so.
Pax
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I've seen a few recent pictures of the Solomons and they seem to be fairly well developed now, with airfields for regular island hopping. Hardly any one uses the outrigger canoes any more![:D]

When I went to Thailand/Laos for 3 weeks I bought anti-malaria pills for about $75 CDN. Much better than worrying about getting malaria. There are different strains of the disease - most will just make you sick but some will kill you within two days.

No suggestions for Japan, other than to hit the Duty-Free in Narita airport to drool over the choices of high-end sake, all of it in beautiful bottles and outer packaging - like the way the Japanese have excellent presentation of their formal meals.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

1. Visiting Kyoto if you've never been there before. Going to a natural onsen in Kyushu. Traveling the length of Japan along the shinkansen and trying various local bento along the way. Hiking Fuji if you haven't done it. Lots more. Cuisine: Be sure to try okonomi, champon if you go to Nagasaki, takoyaki, lots more. Just off the top of my head. In Tokyo, be sure to visit Yasukuni, it's enlightening (not necessarily in a good way).

Etc.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

My wife and I are going to do a vacation in that part of the world in a year or so. Japan is the most likely destination, but I'm also curious about other possibilities. In particular, I'd like to visit Borneo, the Solomons/Bismarck Islands, possibly Sumatra or Java.

I realize that is far too much to do on one trip; picking on locality and spending several weeks there is I'm sure the wiser choice, except perhaps for the Solomons where a couple hops from one island to the next might be the way to go?

So two questions:

1. If you were going for a three week vacation in Japan, what would you not miss out on?

2. What parts of Oceania are malaria free these days? Are there nice malaria free tropical islands in the Solomons that have something like regular small plane service to them?

We were about to do that this summer when we had to postpone our plans.

I can share some of the places that I noted down for our trip :

Tokyo :

There's a military museum over there : Yushukan.

If you are a fan Miyasao Hayasaki - the Ghibli studio is also in town.

Stay in the 'Godzilla Hotel'

Hiroshima :

There's the naval museum in Kure

Maebashi :

I have been told that there's a display of several airframes in the city, reason being Maebashi one of the a/c production centers in WW2. But I couldnt confirm it via google.

I cant comment on the food but I'm sure it must be something.

Please let me know about your plans to visit the SW Pacific I am very interested to go there.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah thanks guys!

Ohh, Yellow Card . . . I did that stuff back in the late 1990s for Botswana-Zimbabwe-RSA . . . hmmm, sounds like Japan is the most likely for this first trip; too much trouble.

As far as using "malaria prophylaxis:" I cannot remember if I did or did not take any while I was in northern Zimbabwe. My general rule is: stay OUTSIDE the zone where it is established, but yeah, sometimes you cannot resist. Victoria Falls is just inside the Malaria zone for that region (or it was at the time) and most of Okavango Delta is too.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

If you dive.

Yonaguni Pyramid Complex at Yonaguni, the southernmost of the Ryukyu Islands, in Japan.

May be able to see them without diving. Sub tours???

Plus all the WW2 stuff you can fit in.

Attachments
p.jpg
p.jpg (228.14 KiB) Viewed 128 times

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Ah thanks guys!

Ohh, Yellow Card . . . I did that stuff back in the late 1990s for Botswana-Zimbabwe-RSA . . . hmmm, sounds like Japan is the most likely for this first trip; too much trouble.
Japan is not tropical, so nothing needed. Like going to Taiwan ...
Pax
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

If you're going to Japan, I would save the smaller islands for another trip. Transportation in the region isn't exactly like what we're used to in the "First World."

You could easily spend the whole 3 weeks in Japan, and there are plenty of things worth seeing. Two recommendations that haven't come up, yet:

1. Nagasaki. The Old Dutch Quarter is fascinating, and the Peace Park is, well, peaceful. One of the best experiences of my life took place there when a Japanese gentleman wanted to take a picture of his family with the Americans.

2. Nagoya. I haven't checked lately so things easily may have changed since I was there in 1985, but there was no airport departure tax so that's where we left to return to Guam. In Nagoya, be sure to visit the Noritake China factory.

Speaking of Guam, that -- and Saipan -- would be my places to tag onto the end of a Japan trip. Almost nothing to do on Saipan but relax for a couple days, though you can see some of the WW II sites there -- they also have a fantastic botanical garden. You'll use up the attractions in 2 days. Guam, of course, is still 50% (at least) military and is no longer what it was in the 80s -- think Hawaii of the 80s and you have Guam (that's pretty consistent over the years; Guam is about 30 years behind Hawaii in terms of development). Lots of historical sites along with the friendliest people on earth. If you happen into a village while they're holding a fiesta, which means almost any weekend, you'll be more than welcome to join in. Lots of natural beauty, as well -- the Pools of Inarajan and Talofofo Falls are recommended (although the latter now has an admission fee).

Plan a separate visit another time to visit the SW Pacific islands. Air service is rarely on a daily basis though, on the bright side, it tends to travel between the places you'd want to see (Honiara, Tarawa, Nauru...).
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you're in Papua and you meet any cannibals it is customary to provide your own barbeque sauce.

Attachments
KorowaiHombre01.jpg
KorowaiHombre01.jpg (400.66 KiB) Viewed 128 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In the Solomons, take care not to be gummed to death by the giant salamanders.

Attachments
GIANTSALAMANDER.jpg
GIANTSALAMANDER.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 128 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Also in the Solomons, if you have big coconuts beware of the Coconut Crab.

Attachments
coconutcrab.jpg
coconutcrab.jpg (36.41 KiB) Viewed 128 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

As you would with bears, do not leave food out where they can find it.

Attachments
Coconutcr..bishbin.jpg
Coconutcr..bishbin.jpg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Okay, we've got a warning now about "if you have big coconuts" so I guess its safe to show this thread to my wife now [:D]
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

If you dive, there are great places to visit in the region. My avatar comes from Truk (AKA Chu'uk). I did a five-day live aboard dive trip in Truk Lagoon back in '98. There is some good diving in the Solomons, although the Ironbottom Sound wrecks are too deep for recreational diving.

In Japan, Yasukuni Shrine is a must see in Tokyo with its attached museum. Although expensive to get around, the country offers a lot of things to see and do depending on your proclivities.

The Philippines has a lot of historical relevance if that's your thing, including Bataan and Corregidor, as does Singapore.

I did all the shots and malaria drugs back in '91, during my first trip to SE and South Asia, but have done fine without them ever since on trips all over (Indochina, Indonesia, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc).

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

If you dive.

Yonaguni Pyramid Complex at Yonaguni, the southernmost of the Ryukyu Islands, in Japan.

May be able to see them without diving. Sub tours???

Plus all the WW2 stuff you can fit in.

pyramids in japan ? wow...

And I thought göbeklitepe was unique...
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

As you would with bears, do not leave food out where they can find it.

Gorn - is that a sticker ? or toy ? not real right ?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Going to places where they have historical monuments would be a good place. Check out the Yamato too or any warships they have there.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Gorn - is that a sticker ? or toy ? not real right ?

This guy has big coconuts, he's being attacked by two at once!

Attachments
crab11.jpg
crab11.jpg (455.77 KiB) Viewed 128 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

more

Attachments
CoconutCrabIP3.jpg
CoconutCrabIP3.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”