Anybody interested in aquiring a FW-190?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

RE: Anybody interested in aquiring a FW-190?

Post by jcjordan »

Why buy an old beat up rusted hunk of junk when you can have a brand new one? I company called Flugwerke build some new ones using I think using a Russian engine or PW vs the normal BMW radial, they even had the original FW WNr's
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Why buy an old beat up rusted hunk of junk when you can have a brand new one? I company called Flugwerke build some new ones using I think using a Russian engine or PW vs the normal BMW radial, they even had the original FW WNr's
You just answered your own question - one might be able to buy a brand new Lada too, but it isn't necessarily the best choice for an inexpensive car.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

good read:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world ... -unearthed

Short summary: the suspected tunnel roof on the scan turned out to be a glacial deposit... no train, no gold. The original treasure hunters were unbowed — they were in the right place, they just had to dig deeper
Is that what Geraldo said about Al Capone's vault? [:D]

I want my Nazi Gold Train!

Ah, its all good for tourism.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

- Cry wulf!
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

- Cry wulf!

HOOT! HOOT!

LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Ah the 190D. Amazing aircraft, probably the best prop of the war and I will never understand why Germany didn't deploy more 190's to the Eastern Front as I think they would've excelled in the low altitude warfare that was occurring there.
Water-cooled aircraft had an additional vulnerability with the radiator.
A rifle bullet could prevent an aircraft from getting home. That being said, one the best ground attack aircraft of
the war, the Russian IL-2, was water-cooled but being designed from the ground up for it's mission the radiators
were well protected in armor and the weight penalty was factored into the design.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Ah the 190D. Amazing aircraft, probably the best prop of the war and I will never understand why Germany didn't deploy more 190's to the Eastern Front as I think they would've excelled in the low altitude warfare that was occurring there.
Water-cooled aircraft had an additional vulnerability with the radiator.
A rifle bullet could prevent an aircraft from getting home. That being said, one the best ground attack aircraft of
the war, the Russian IL-2, was water-cooled but being designed from the ground up for it's mission the radiators
were well protected in armor and the weight penalty was factored into the design.

Might be a missunderstanding, because the D(ora) was more for higher altidtudes, all the A,F,G modells however were for lower&medium and many were in the east. Eg. the Stukas would be updated to 190 fighterbombers.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Many moons ago, 40 plus years worth of them, a fellow CAP member and airline pilot friend of mine heard about a bunch of German aircraft that were buried at a aircraft repair station in Northwest Germany during the closing days of WWII. He and a bunch of friends with the blessing of the then West German Government mounted a expedition. They literally hit paydirt in the form of about twenty FW190 fighters. They had been parked in revetments, and the Germans had bulldozed dirt over them to prevent capture. None of the aircraft were flyable at the time they were buried.

Anyway, they dug up most of the aircraft, and selected the five most promising looking examples, and shipped them back to New Tamiami Airport, Southwest of Miami back in 1975.
Well, that was the good part of this story :>))

All the airframes were crushed to one degree or another (think of driving a bulldozer over the airplane).
There was lots of corrosion, and missing parts (the aircraft were being cannibalized to repair other aircraft).
Finally the biggest issue was, all five were different models of the FW190!

I was personally involved afterwards with the attempted restoration of at least one of the wrecks, but in the end we failed totally.
There was not enough undamaged parts to build even one airframe for even display, let alone restore it to flying condition.
The only plus was, we did get one of the BMW radial engines running on a test stand, after it had been buried for almost 40 years.

I think all the stuff ended up in the hands of Kermit Weeks, as his fledgling aircraft museum that was then located a New Tamiami airport.

My point is, even if the lead story is true, what they dig up 80 years after it was were buried, will not be in any better condition than what we played around with 40 years ago, and will likely be in far worse condition.

Gregg
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

But with modern 3D printers a lot of the missing parts could be recreated in appearance, if not totally in function. It should be possible to restore any aircraft whose detailed plans are available to a decent static display status.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

We have got Ki-200 for static display.

12th Sentai.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Was there a mod where Kriegsmarine ( and possibly some italian units ) and some Wehrmahct units arrive from the east ?
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Me 262 digged out in the Netherlands (note the cow which looks in the hole and probably thinks "humans are stupid doing so much work to dig out some scrap) [:D] Sadly as the text says this is damaged beyond repair....

Veröffentlicht am 25.10.2014

23 october 2014 members of the Museum Deelen Airbase near Arnhem found a Messerschmitt 262 in a farm field near Deelen `airbase, Arnhem in the Netherlands.
This 262 was shot down on the 12 of september 1944 near the village Elden. The pilot Uffz. Schauder was killed. `the `germans took the wreckage to Deelen. The dumped the plane in an bomb crater to hide it. This 262 was the first jet ever to crash in the Netherlands.
More info on the website www.museumvlbdeelen.nl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSDAonD_udo

And here it says (more on topic than the 262 footage above):
Original Fw-190A-5 - BMW-801 - Only Flying Original in the world (but no curious animals in that one)

Flying Heritage Collection owns and maintains the only flying original Focke-Wulf 190 in the world at this time. Though several are under restoration, this unique Fw-190 was recovered from an overgrown forest in the 1990's and became airworthy only a few years ago. The 190 is flown before crowds at the Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field in Everett, Washington, thanks to owner Paul Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviNlOwihIw

You can also check the 109 video on the right from the same uploader and compare the engine sounds, for my taste the 190 sounds better (lower)...[:)]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Gregg

Many moons ago, 40 plus years worth of them, a fellow CAP member and airline pilot friend of mine heard about a bunch of German aircraft that were buried at a aircraft repair station in Northwest Germany during the closing days of WWII. He and a bunch of friends with the blessing of the then West German Government mounted a expedition. They literally hit paydirt in the form of about twenty FW190 fighters. They had been parked in revetments, and the Germans had bulldozed dirt over them to prevent capture. None of the aircraft were flyable at the time they were buried.

Anyway, they dug up most of the aircraft, and selected the five most promising looking examples, and shipped them back to New Tamiami Airport, Southwest of Miami back in 1975.
Well, that was the good part of this story :>))

All the airframes were crushed to one degree or another (think of driving a bulldozer over the airplane).
There was lots of corrosion, and missing parts (the aircraft were being cannibalized to repair other aircraft).
Finally the biggest issue was, all five were different models of the FW190!

I was personally involved afterwards with the attempted restoration of at least one of the wrecks, but in the end we failed totally.
There was not enough undamaged parts to build even one airframe for even display, let alone restore it to flying condition.
The only plus was, we did get one of the BMW radial engines running on a test stand, after it had been buried for almost 40 years.

I think all the stuff ended up in the hands of Kermit Weeks, as his fledgling aircraft museum that was then located a New Tamiami airport.

My point is, even if the lead story is true, what they dig up 80 years after it was were buried, will not be in any better condition than what we played around with 40 years ago, and will likely be in far worse condition.

Gregg

A very good point but there are exceptions. They are finding some good planes that crashed into Lake Michigan and are in pretty good shape due to the cold deep water. Likewise, there has been a sort of renaissance of late with the Russians pulling lots of WWII vehicles out of swamps and bogs where the lack of oxygen has allowed the vehicles to survive in amazing condition. But as for aircraft packed in crates and greased up in protective oils-well that is where the fantasy begins.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Yes they built 21 or so brand new FW-190A and FW-190D aircraft. Interestingly when I looked them up I saw that they were putting the company up for sale. I assume the biggest assets will be the drawing and jigs they used for manufacture.

So if you want to build a few more brand new FW-190s and create your own squadron, here's your chance.... [:D]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”