Info needed

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DOCUP

Info needed

Post by DOCUP »

Does anyone have any more info on these purposed ships or conversions?

First Italian cruiser Bolzano conversion to a aviation cruiser.

Second: French Aviation cruiser PA 6. Picture of Line drawings for both attached

Thanks

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 43 times
John 3rd

RE: Info needed

Post by John 3rd »

PA.6 MAY be one of the designs mentioned in Layman's Hybrid Warships. Similiar to one of the Japanese designs. It would of had 12,000T displacement, triple 8" guns, 12 3.9" AA, and 14-16 planes. Design date is around 1935-36.

Not much info past that.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks John. How is Layman's book. I looked at it last nite. Is it worth the 40 dollars. Also is it just USN, and IJN. I have read that quiet a few countries looked into it.

I also found the site the pic came from. Not sure on the accuracy of the info.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/viewtopi ... 69&start=0
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I think--for my Mod purposes--it was a fantastic addition. Has lots of diagrams and fairly specific design specs.

The major focus in USA and Japan prior to WWII. It does come forward to the Soviet and UK Jump Carriers. Good read with a lot of details on the back-and-forth of the Hybrid designs.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Thanks John. How is Layman's book. I looked at it last nite. Is it worth the 40 dollars. Also is it just USN, and IJN. I have read that quiet a few countries looked into it.

I also found the site the pic came from. Not sure on the accuracy of the info.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/viewtopi ... 69&start=0

This is a superb book - but I do not think it includes this class. I have it - will report back in a moment.

[Later] Basically I was wrong. While technically the PA-6 is not covered, the PA-5B is. It is termed the ultimate
development of the series. Some writers may prefer calling it 6 to 5B. There are two large pages on the series,
with a drawing of the last (ultimate) version - which probably is your class. It is way too big for its air group,
but it is quite interesting. Apparently it would steam backward to recover - feasible because electric propulsion
means you can use full power both directions (no smaller reverse turbines as in a pure steamship). The AA is superb.

However, it looks nothing like your drawings. And the text indicates ALL later designs had the big guns aft -
with only a maybe for early designs. It may be your drawings are fictional. On the other hand, the text says most of
the drawings were not yet available for release at the time of writing.

DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

El Cid: thanks. I posted it here to see if it was fictional. I have not seen the picture of PA-5B, or much info on that design. I have been looking online and can't come of with any info. Could you provide me with the info you have. Please

Thanks for everyones responses

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”