Here they come...

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

cns180784

Here they come...

Post by cns180784 »

ultradave

RE: Here they come...

Post by ultradave »

Oddly, the only British commissioned ship I've been aboard is ...... HMS RICHMOND!! (the ship in the foreground of the picture).

I say commissioned ship because I have been aboard several submarines, or parts of them, while under construction.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
cns180784

Post by cns180784 »

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Oddly, the only British commissioned ship I've been aboard is ...... HMS RICHMOND!! (the ship in the foreground of the picture).

I say commissioned ship because I have been aboard several submarines, or parts of them, while under construction.
That must have been cool when did you get to go on it? was it open to the public?
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

2011 or 12. I was in England 3 years as part of a team of consultants to the UK submarine program in Barrow-in-Furness (at the BAE shipyard). The Richmond came for a port call/visit and they asked us if we'd like to go on board for a tour along with some of the BAE management we worked with, so not really open to the public (I think it was a day or two later but the 20 or so of us got a preview special tour). Little cocktail hour reception, and then the crew was great and gave us a really nice tour.
----------------
Dave A.
pandoraefretum

Post by pandoraefretum »

HMS Richmond Type 23 isn't in my Cmano database ?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: pandoraefretum

HMS Richmond Type 23 isn't in my Cmano database ?
Sure is. HMS Richmond is a F236 Montrose [Duke class]. There are 8 different versions of it based on year.

Thanks!

Mike
pandoraefretum

Post by pandoraefretum »

yes I see ; type 23 model will do (I just thought I'd be able to list F239 specifically)...

Now how can the core of Russia's fleet sail right past our front door (within a mile of the British coast) almost unchecked ? Or does "shadowed by HMS Richmond and HMS Duncan" mean to infer everything's cool ?

How can I find, using internet, the present location of Kuznetsov ? Is there a site that will give me relatively updated news on current Naval deployments ?
Triode

Post by Triode »

How can I find, using internet, the present location of Kuznetsov ?

You can use Nikolai Chiker AIS
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/det ... LAY_CHIKER
Tullius

Post by Tullius »

The by far best comment by a British

Shadow Duties
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

It's not like we didn't know they were coming, there were pics on twitter of the group as they sailed from Russia and they have been tracked all the way
Now how can the core of Russia's fleet sail right past our front door (within a mile of the British coast) almost unchecked ? Or does "shadowed by HMS Richmond and HMS Duncan" mean to infer everything's cool ?

I would take most of the media hype with a pinch of salt!

I did a 'north trip' on HMS London and the Russian media headlines were "British Spy Ship in the Barents" .....Kept us amused for a while!

Unless things have changed significantly since I left it would have been a great SIGINT opportunity, especially when they're conducting flying ops ...... normally we have to head up to the Barents to get a close look at these units, nice of them to save us the trip

Can you imagine the media headlines in a day or two
"Russian fleet on course for Gibraltar!"

If it's part of a Putin Power Play .... I'd have just sent a minesweeper to shadow her!

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

As usual, delusions of grandeur by Putin. Relatively speaking, Teddy had more muscle behind his grand tour. 16 battleships in the confines of Channel would impressive even today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_Fleet
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

a great SIGINT opportunity

After Triode posted the link to the Nikolai Chiker, I noticed that the 'James Cook' was maintaining a discrete distance but matching course & speed - could be a coincidence...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/det ... JAMES_COOK
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
cns180784

Post by cns180784 »

2011 or 12. I was in England 3 years as part of a team of consultants to the UK submarine program in Barrow-in-Furness (at the BAE shipyard). The Richmond came for a port call/visit and they asked us if we'd like to go on board for a tour along with some of the BAE management we worked with, so not really open to the public (I think it was a day or two later but the 20 or so of us got a preview special tour). Little cocktail hour reception, and then the crew was great and gave us a really nice tour.
Sounds like you have an interesting job. What did you have to do, and what exactly is your job?
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

yes I see ; type 23 model will do (I just thought I'd be able to list F239 specifically)...

How can I find, using internet, the present location of Kuznetsov ? Is there a site that will give me relatively updated news on current Naval deployments ?

Freedom of Navigation/Innocent Passage.
Kind of like the U.S. sails through the South China Sea whenever they want. Though China gets quite upset verbally about it.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

ORIGINAL: cns180784

Sounds like you have an interesting job. What did you have to do, and what exactly is your job?

I was there specifically to help with the reactor plant startup test program and core load. I'm a nuclear engineer and work for Electric Boat - semi retired and working part time as a consultant but I worked there for 30 years before retiring. I was assigned there at BAE for 3 years along with about a dozen others with other specific specialties to help the British with their Successor submarine design (now to be called Dreadnaught I heard today).
----------------
Dave A.
elxaime

Post by elxaime »

ORIGINAL: Tullius

The by far best comment by a British

Shadow Duties

I'd like to imagine this as remake of "The Final Countdown" movie. If the ROE of the Russian fleet are permissive enough, the HMS-Whatever might be able to lay alongside at pistol shot. Whether her 32 pound round shot penetrates is another matter.

There is a good trivia question. What would be the effect of a broadside by HMS Victory on a modern naval frigate?

I would assume boarding would be required. HMS Victory would have a larger crew, but it would be pikes, axes, muskets and pistols against (I assume) the semi-automatic weapons of the defenders. The element of surprise would be key...
JVJ

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”