Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister

RE: Invasion West Coast!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]22nd February -43[/font]

We reached the 22nd. There have been absolutely nothing happening lately. We are still recovering from the last attack at Santa Ana. Arty and DD bombardmants are working over the defenders which has now reached almost parity in strength with the allied attackers.

We will this one though. It will be a slow grind though and I don´t mind that one bit.

While the war is quiet elsewhere it doesn´t mean the allies are idle. 80.000 Allied troops have just boarded their ships...stay tuned!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

[font="Verdana"]22nd February -43[/font]

We reached the 22nd. There have been absolutely nothing happening lately. We are still recovering from the last attack at Santa Ana. Arty and DD bombardmants are working over the defenders which has now reached almost parity in strength with the allied attackers.

We will this one though. It will be a slow grind though and I don´t mind that one bit.

While the war is quiet elsewhere it doesn´t mean the allies are idle. 80.000 Allied troops have just boarded their ships...stay tuned!
How is Ida doing? She was sick a while ago wasn't she?
It sounds like you have recovered from your illness.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
How is Ida doing? She was sick a while ago wasn't she?
It sounds like you have recovered from your illness.

Well, had to pick of the kids early yesterday because Alaxender wasn´t feeling well. After 20 minutes at home he barfed over himself, Maria and half the kitchen floor...

Ida is well so far at least... [X(]
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

My, er, "favourite" kid moment was my youngest being exorcist sick in the back of the car.[:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

My, er, "favourite" kid moment was my youngest being exorcist sick in the back of the car.[:)]

Yeah. had that happen once too! Luckily we were on our way home from the in laws so we had spare clothes and a gazillion wipes... [X(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Got another turn done. Nothing to report. Very, very quiet.

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

You could post a pretty picture of the disruption levels of the troops in Santa Anna or something ... [8D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

You could post a pretty picture of the disruption levels of the troops in Santa Anna or something ... [8D]

Disruption is pretty close to 0. FAT is still in the 20-30 range for some units. Going to attack again next turn and then start rotating units.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Disruption is pretty close to 0. FAT is still in the 20-30 range for some units. Going to attack again next turn and then start rotating units.

Sgt. Major Hornsby, Royal Marines (on exchange with the USMC, carrying out orders to rotate the troops ):

"Right now, you lot over there rotate to the right, and you over there rotate to the left. When you begin to feel disrupted we'll reverse the direction of your spin. SPINNING IN PLACE, BEEE-GIN!".
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Another turn away. Update ready and I will post it once I get the next turn!
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Santa Ana[/font]

Another attack. We are getting there...2 divisions rotated back to LA. A fresh one brought in. His massed artillery is certainly taking its toll on the allied attackers. But they are also eating up loads of supplies.
Ground combat at Santa Ana (226,76)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 103785 troops, 1897 guns, 4294 vehicles, Assault Value = 3633

Defending force 121170 troops, 1513 guns, 1395 vehicles, Assault Value = 3091

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Allied adjusted assault: 1459

Japanese adjusted defense: 1253

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4958 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 172 disabled
Non Combat: 22 destroyed, 98 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 36 disabled
Guns lost 157 (35 destroyed, 122 disabled)
Vehicles lost 72 (16 destroyed, 56 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
4691 casualties reported
Squads: 90 destroyed, 404 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 106 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 65 disabled
Guns lost 185 (9 destroyed, 176 disabled)
Vehicles lost 110 (17 destroyed, 93 disabled)
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Liberation of Burma[/font]

Tomorrow Allied forces will land at Cox Bazaar! This is a bit risky as the troops are only about 50% prepped. I hope a heavy Allied pre bombardment will soften up the defenders enough to lessen the impact of the landing troops.

Allied SIGINT have confirmed a RTA division, various support troops and a Japanese tank RGT. Barring catastrophic losses in the landing the base should be quickly secured. About 60 Allied ships are ready to ferry in the bulk of the allied army.

------------------------
Allied forces
------------------------

-1st Marine Division
-2nd, 18th British Division
-6th, 7th and 9th Australian Division
-9th, 17th and 25th Indian division.
-6th Chinese Corp
-7th, 254th and 255th armored Brigade.
-763rd Tank Battalion.

Normally this wouldn´t be nearly enough to liberate Burma. But only 3 Japanese divisions are identified in Burma right now. If the landing succeeds I have no doubt we can achieve the objective within 3 months.

------------------------
Objectives
------------------------

- To link up with Chinese forces and open up a supply route into the mountains where half the Chinese army is holding up.
- To liberate Rangoon before June 43.

Attachments
Burma6.jpg
Burma6.jpg (461.96 KiB) Viewed 182 times
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

[font="Verdana"]Liberation of Burma[/font]

Tomorrow Allied forces will land at Cox Bazaar! This is a bit risky as the troops are only about 50% prepped. I hope a heavy Allied pre bombardment will soften up the defenders enough to lessen the impact of the landing troops.

Allied SIGINT have confirmed a RTA division, various support troops and a Japanese tank RGT. Barring catastrophic losses in the landing the base should be quickly secured. About 60 Allied ships are ready to ferry in the bulk of the allied army.

------------------------
Allied forces
------------------------

-1st Marine Division
-2nd, 18th British Division
-6th, 7th and 9th Australian Division
-9th, 17th and 25th Indian division.
-6th Chinese Corp
-7th, 254th and 255th armored Brigade.
-763rd Tank Battalion.

Normally this wouldn´t be nearly enough to liberate Burma. But only 3 Japanese divisions are identified in Burma right now. If the landing succeeds I have no doubt we can achieve the objective within 3 months.

------------------------
Objectives
------------------------

- To link up with Chinese forces and open up a supply route into the mountains where half the Chinese army is holding up.
- To liberate Rangoon before June 43.

Normally it is tough to get supply to flow into Burma from India or even Akyab. For some reason, supply flows very well if you hold Ramree Island. Otherwise, I am not a fan of this type of attack into Burma. Basically, Burma really holds no strategic value for the Allies and an overland campaign just ties up resources, and traps the units in Burma until Rangoon is taken. Once committed they cannot be pulled out so easily and used elsewhere. However, I do think it is a major mistake for the Japanese player to hold Burma beyond Rangoon after a period of time. The reason being is if the Allie player pulls off an invasion in Pegu or Moumein then Japanese forces in Burma are effectively trapped. They either die or walk home the long way if China is cleared. So, I only go into Burma if there is a chance to kill lots of Japanese troops and then I do it by invasions to the south. Otherwise, I just bide my time and look to go further south at a later date (Java-Sumatra). By not taking Pegu or Moumein (or Rangoon if it is not well fortified) he then can just reinforce, (bad idea) or slowly withdraw while delaying you.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

It is quite possible to build up all the border dot bases to max and then stock pile supplies that will propagate toward the Irrawaddy Valley. I have done this twice with 2 AARs. The base build up simply increases the supplies that can be moved. Ramree Island although is really key to getting supplies to propogate with the minimal loss to the attrition algorithms..

I really like this line of attack in that once Rangoon falls.. it's Katy bar the door .. the plains of Thailand offer great ground for armor to thrust into Southeast Asia ..A combined DEI Burma offense is particularly stressful in DBB because of the supply situation ..

Late 1943 Early 1944 this could be over ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Normally I would agree that going heavily into Burma isn´t the best allied approach as its a easily halted grind.

This game is very different though. Estimated Japanese strength in Burma is around 4 divisions and not the usual 14. Chinese units are still holding at Paoshan and a link up there can save a large portion of the Chinese army currently hiding in the mountains. Give them a couple of months rest and I can have a massive Chinese army that might be able to recapture China on their own. Or at least put a tremendous amount of pressure on the Japanese.

Rangoon will be in allied hands before Summer. Its slower then the earlier planned landing at Moulmein. But this can be done now rather than waiting for allied amphibious to catch up with my intentions. Another bonus is that this free up Enterprise and Hornet for other operations rather than being locked into protecting a LOC to Moulmein which I can´t protect again the KB anyway.

The gamble is in landing at Cox with low prepp. If I can quickly capture it I am certain the rest will be swift work. [:)]

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I agree with Crackaces. Once Rangoon falls defending becomes increasingly difficult for Japan. And once Allied armor moves into the plains of Thailand they will be very hard to stop.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I disagree that Burma has no strategic value. I think it oozes strategic value.

I also don't understand why you would need Ramree in order to get good supply flow. I've done it easily enough without, or rather - taking it didn't ease my supply crunch in the slightest. The size of bases makes a great deal of difference.

FWIW, I'd never land my Marines at an enemy base with 50% prep. Ever. Ever.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I disagree that Burma has no strategic value. I think it oozes strategic value.

I also don't understand why you would need Ramree in order to get good supply flow. I've done it easily enough without, or rather - taking it didn't ease my supply crunch in the slightest. The size of bases makes a great deal of difference.

FWIW, I'd never land my Marines at an enemy base with 50% prep. Ever. Ever.

Yeah, the landing is a gamble. But I didn´t want to wait 50 days. I just need enough to make it through the landing to capture Cox. After that I should have time to let them recover during the long walk ahead.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Japanese ground losses:
4958 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
4691 casualties reported

I have to say that seems more costly than it should be. What about bombardments?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
Japanese ground losses:
4958 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
4691 casualties reported

I have to say that seems more costly than it should be. What about bombardments?

I think this is taking its toll on my troops:

2nd RF Gun Battalion
9th RF Gun Battalion
8th RF Gun Battalion
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
15th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
11th RF Gun Battalion
10th RF Gun Battalion
22nd Fld AA Gun Co
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
5th RF Gun Battalion

Its also the reason why I can´t bombard with LCUs. I am bombarding from the sea though. Only 8 DDs so far but they are causing 200-300 casualties per turn. More in coming in from Panama in a few days.

Also keep in mind that the troops I am attacking with is almost exclusively WC perma restricted troops. Can´t use them anywhere else anyway.

Return to “After Action Reports”