Naval and Defense News

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dysta

RE: Naval and Defense News

Post by Dysta »

Thank you, wood. To be honest, it's a grand mistake to piss you off long ago.

I am extremely languish to struggle with confrontations in any forms, if truly, whatever I said are trolling, sorry.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Mike, you're better than this too. I already don't want to wage political and wild-mass-guess debates as you told me I am a troll, and you got what you want already.

And now a small response about smoking Kuznetsov and you give me another response, irreverently?

I don't like sub-correctness either, but demanding a victim is the least I could expect here.

You're missing the point. You're the one posting the political nationalistic crap every time somebody post something even remotely positive about one country or negative about another. Its like you wait to be offended and come back with some comment that just makes people never want to read the forum again. Stop already. If you really need to do that there are forums specifically for it. This site is not one of them.

On Kusnetsov. It is smoking! There's a clear picture of it. I'm sure your buddies on the goofball bbs will post a blurry arse version with a rainbow and flock of unicorns over it instead as proof positive of its magical powers. I'll look forward to that post.

Haaarumph!

Mike
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Unicorns shouldn't be in the database until 2019.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Preview captured by Wikileaks:

Attachments
UR.jpg
UR.jpg (206.97 KiB) Viewed 88 times
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

That's very frightening. Only Seals could take on those gaudy beasts.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Triode

Post by Triode »

News ahead of headline

30.10.2016 there is "Russian Navy - 320 years" anniversary

so, there is a plan to lay the first corvette project 20386 on "Severnaya Verf"

in case, that somebody forgot what is 20386
3500 t
1x1 190mm A-190 gun
2x AK-630M
2x8 Redut VLS
2x4 Paket-NK
2x4 Uran Launcher
MGK-335EM-03 + Vinietka-M
radars - RLK "Zaslon" (X and S band + Zaslon ELINT station) and navigation MR-231-3
4x KT-218 launchers
optical electonic system "Sfera-05"
hangar - two helicopter or one helicopter and mission containers ( container with Kalibr missiles, "Maevka" anti mine UUVs contaners , etc) also small hangar for UAVs in superstructure:
engine - CODLOG with M90FR :

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Unicorns shouldn't be in the database until 2019.

Be careful what you wish for. [:)]

Attachments
Unicorns.jpg
Unicorns.jpg (126.04 KiB) Viewed 88 times
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I heard Chinese unicorns (derived from imported Russian unicorns) were hypersonic.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Oh my.

Hey, before I forget, has anyone every done a Halloween scenario? Ten days and counting ya know. Devilish lua scripts, teleported stuff out of the ether, etc. Instead of LIVE, we call it .... DE..

<clearly over the limit, kevin ducks flying glass and runs out of the bar>
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

-del-
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Some people never learn...
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

British's new future SSBN will be named as HMS Dreadnought.

http://newatlas.com/successor-ballistic ... ght/46057/
https://youtu.be/TcTQaI3FJ_o

As work begins on Britain's next generation of nuclear ballistic missile submarines, the first in the class has been given an historic name. The Queen today gave the royal assent for the largest-ever Royal Navy submarine to be christened HMS Dreadnought – the ninth vessel to carry the name in over 450 years. The date of the naming was chosen to mark Trafalgar Day and the 56th anniversary of the launching of the first British nuclear submarine, also named Dreadnought.

The new Dreadnought is the first of four boats in the Successor class intended to replace the aging Vanguard ballistic missile submarines, which carry Britain's Independent Nuclear Deterrent (IND) that sees at least one nuclear-armed boat at sea at all times. After Parliament approved construction in July, the first steel was cut by BAE Systems at Barrow-in-Furness on October 5, though preliminary work has been underway for over two years on various components to avoid production delays.

Dreadnought's design is based on the Astute attack submarine as a way to keep down cost and avoid any relearning processes. When completed, it will be 152.9 m (502 ft) long, displace 17,200 tonnes (19,000 tons), and will include a number of RN submarine firsts, including a full-time doctor, gym, day/night lighting, and women's accommodations.

Dreadnought will carry US-built Trident D5 missiles in the US/UK Common Missile Compartment consisting of 12 missile compartments, with 8 missiles and 40 British designed and built nuclear warheads on MIRV vehicles. What the spare four tubes will carry is classified. Power will come courtesy of a Rolls-Royce PWR3 nuclear reactor and though Dreadnought will be in service from 2028 until the 2050s, it will never need refueling during that time. In fact, the boat isn't even designed for such a thing.

When commissioned, Dreadnought will be the ninth to carry the name since the days of Queen Elizabeth. The first was captained by Sir Francis Drake and saw action against the Spanish Armada, and a later one fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, where Admiral Lord Nelson defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets.

The most famous Dreadnought was the sixth, which entered service in 1906. The brainchild of Admiral "Jacky" Fisher, this Dreadnought was the first modern battleship and gave her name to an enter type of ship. Her heavy armor, 12-in guns, and 21 knots (24 mph, 39 km/h) of speed made all other warships at the time obsolete and sparked a frenzied arms race among the great powers.

The eighth Dreadnought was Britain's first nuclear submarine and served until 1980 as an experimental and trials boat. Construction stirred tremendous controversy at the time when the US Admiral Hyman Rickover angrily opposed providing the British with the American submarine reactor that was installed in Dreadnought.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Here is a video on the Russian Caspian Fleet from January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWflAEbe2g

Did not find an earlier post here. Mentions the Don-Volga Canal. Also, the fleet's organic air defense is weak relying on shore SAMs.
Lot of energy assets nearby. I notice the Suez canal is delineated in Command but I do not see the Don-Volga Canal - not that I should.

Bit more from Sept. :
http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... uld-ignore
Alfred Thayer Mahan
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

U.S releases it's plan for maintaining air superiority in the future:
http://www.af.mil/Portals/1/documents/airpower/Air%20Superiority%202030%20Flight%20Plan.pdf

"The U.S. Air Combat Command (ACC) will embark on an 18-month analysis of leap-ahead air superiority fighter options next January, as eight nations move forward with development of a dozen different fifth-generation combat jets aimed at narrowing the U.S.’s lead with the Lockheed Martin F-22 and F-35."

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

NATO classified RS-28 as Satan 2. Russian designation is Sarmat.

http://newatlas.com/rs28-sarmat-satan-2 ... cbm/46127/
Russia has moved to update its nuclear arsenal with an extreme-range, massive payload ICBM designed specifically to defeat anti-missile systems. Capable of traversing the planet's poles and blowing up Texas in one hit, meet the RS-28 Sarmat, or Satan 2.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been very clear about how he sees his country's situation. Circled by NATO forces and "oh no that's just for defending Europe from Iran" nuclear missile silos, he believes Russia's nuclear capabilities are threatened by a belligerent US foreign policy. "How can you not understand," he admonished a group of journalists recently, "that the world is being pulled in an irreversible direction?"

"Major global conflicts have been avoided in the past few decades, due to the geostrategic balance of power which used to exist … I don't know how this is all going to end. What I do know is that we will need to defend ourselves and I even know how they will package this as 'Russian aggression' again. But this is simply our response to your actions. Is it not obvious that I must guarantee the safety of our people?"

Just a little sobering background, then, for today's announcement: Russia has released the first photos of its new intercontinental ballistic missile, the RS-28 Sarmat, which has some truly extraordinary capabilities that are well worthy of its NATO nickname: Satan 2.

Weighing in at over 100 tons, the RS-28 will be a silo-launchable missile with extreme range capability. It's designed to be able to fly around the North or South poles, to attack targets from unexpected directions, with a maximum range around 10,000 kilometers (6214 miles). It's not slow, either, maxing out at more than Mach 20, or some 15,220 mph (24,500 km/h). That's about seven times faster than the SR-71 Blackbird ever went.

Its payload capacity is an enormous 10 tons, allowing it to carry up to 10 heavy warheads at a time, or massive amounts of missile defense countermeasures to help stop it getting shot down by anti-missile systems. In theory, according to Russia's Sputnik magazine, it could pack enough of a nuclear punch to destroy a land mass the size of Texas, or France, in one hit.

Satan 2 has been specifically designed to penetrate North American missile defense systems, and according to Russian officials it has been developed as a direct response to the USA's Prompt Global Strike system, which gives America the ability to deploy non-nuclear missile strikes anywhere on the planet within one hour.

The RS-28 project has been in the pipeline since contracts between the Russian government and the Makeyev Rocket Design bureau were signed in 2011. Originally expected to debut in 2020, timelines have been moved up to a 2018 deployment, and some sources are saying Russia expects the Satan 2 to constitute nearly all of Russia's land-based nuclear arsenal as soon as 2021.

Many of us are too young to remember what it was like living in the Cold War era, where nuclear tensions between the Soviet Union and the USA were at boiling point and the world seemed to be on the brink of apocalypse.

But behind the bizarro-world dog and pony show of the 2016 US elections there seems to be a very real sense that the world's two largest nuclear superpowers are getting ready to butt heads in a big way over a number of geopolitical hotspots - Syria being the biggest of the bunch.

Here's hoping common sense prevails, and this new era of nuclear brinksmanship ends the way the last one did – with a whimper, not a bang. And certainly not a bang the size of Texas.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Chinese JSOW-ER like extended range stealth AGM presented at the Zhuhai Airshow 2016.

That weapon could be the powered variant of the GB-6/TL-500 gliding aerial dispenser, which is already being tested onboard the J-16 Strike Flanker:
fb.asp?m=4049398

Along with the new CM-102 ARM, which would eventually replace the YJ-91/Kh-31 ARM.

Let's wait till November 3rd to get some stats.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

And in naval news re: the Mediterranean ...

http://www.unian.info/world/1584252-egy ... ister.html

Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

An old idea renewed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /92761598/

Something looks really odd about that shape. It just doesn't look like the wings or engines are to scale.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

The Mistral story seems like BS, considering that both the Russian MoD and the Egyptians have denied it.

See: https://sputniknews.com/military/201610 ... a-mistral/

And: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/10/22/565921/

Additionally, considering these articles are dated 5 days ago, if such an event had occurred, I would expect there to be an official statement from the US or the French, and I couldn't find any.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

An old idea renewed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /92761598/

Something looks really odd about that shape. It just doesn't look like the wings or engines are to scale.

Thewood1 and I could put something like that together over the weekend. I was always a bit concerned about the use of radio controlled planes for short range bombs and murder weapons even before drones were all over the news. My wife got nervous the day the Hobby Lobby catalog showed up back in the 90's and out it went.
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”