OT: Philippines Allies with China/Russia-WitP:Modern Times

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

OT: Philippines Allies with China/Russia-WitP:Modern Times

Post by Rusty1961 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/duterte-meet ... 08788.html

Wow. I would say this is the biggest set-back since Saigon fell or Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Looks like Viet Nam is now surrounded, Thailand is in trouble and the tanker traffic to Japan had better finder a route from the US instead.

Head-spinning.

I've always hoped a modern-version of WitP would be produced. It would be hot!
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Treetop64

RE: OT: Philippines Allies with China/Russia-WitP:Modern Times

Post by Treetop64 »

Philippine politicians and heads of state in particular have a history of being highly corrupt even by the standards of the profession. Duterte's rather abrupt and overt willingness to cozy up to the Chinese government, and throw insults at American officials in return, suggests that he is already deep in Xi's pockets.

Duterte comes off as a simple individual, impressionable and easily influenced, not terribly intelligent.

If it's any consolation, many Filipinos are not happy about this at all.

It will be interesting to see what the Obama Administration does (or, more likely, doesn't do) about the situation...
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Agreed: I assumed that he was carrying Xi's water when he started mouthing-off on Obama this August.

What I find interesting is just how this changes the balance of power in the Western Pacific should China start deploying forces to say Subic Bay, etc.

I mean to think of Subic being a Chinese base is blasphemy having been the son of an American vet who fought to liberate the Philippines in the '40s.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

The PRC itself is blasphemy given the large majority of the Chinese blood spilled in the 2nd Sino-Japanese War was Nationalist blood. Meanwhile, Mao and his cronies went off to the mountains to hide and bide their time till everything blew over. History happens; and sometimes, you hate it.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

The PRC itself is blasphemy given the large majority of the Chinese blood spilled in the 2nd Sino-Japanese War was Nationalist blood. Meanwhile, Mao and his cronies went off to the mountains to hide and bide their time till everything blew over. History happens; and sometimes, you hate it.
I don't know much about the Sino-Japanese war but I was under the impression that both Nationalist and Communist troops lost millions of soldiers. Wasn't it the Communists that gave the Japanese a big setback at Hankow or Wuchow with an operation they knew would lead to the loss of hundreds of thousands of their troops when the Japanese brought in reinforcements?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Rusty1961, I highly recommend Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Its essentially a modern version of the classic Harpoon Pen and Paper game. Great scenarios and the realism is off the charts.

I'm looking at this situation from a Canadian perspective, so I have to ask, what assets do you Yanks have in the pacific that are in range to counter this?
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
szmike

Post by szmike »

Not to try any flame, so it will be first and last comment on this, but why is it "correct" to always follow Americans, but "not correct" to change course?

Talk about megalomania
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

The PI is about to find out the difference between living under Uncle Sugar's hegemony and Uncle Xi's hegemony.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Rusty1961, I highly recommend Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Its essentially a modern version of the classic Harpoon Pen and Paper game. Great scenarios and the realism is off the charts.

Command Live - Episode 3: Spratly Spat

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Maybe Duarte knows America is not what it use to be and it's result on the world stage.

Why deal with the middleman.

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Concerning. However, whenever Chinese Imperialism is involved I always remind myself of one thing: China is a powder keg. One cannot simultaneously promote modern development and autocratic repression, eventually something must give. Prior to Xi taking office, there were some overtures coming from China that the new leader would be a reformer, who would carry China even further toward the Western model of freedom, transparency and due process. This has not come to pass, and if anything China has regressed some in terms of individual liberty. The power structure in control of China are operating on borrowed time and their aggressive expansionism are likely in part an attempt to compensate for this deficiency.

As such, I'm more concerned about a civil war in China than I am about China exerting more formal "control" over territories than they already exert.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Concerning. However, whenever Chinese Imperialism is involved I always remind myself of one thing: China is a powder keg. One cannot simultaneously promote modern development and autocratic repression, eventually something must give. Prior to Xi taking office, there were some overtures coming from China that the new leader would be a reformer, who would carry China even further toward the Western model of freedom, transparency and due process. This has not come to pass, and if anything China has regressed some in terms of individual liberty. The power structure in control of China are operating on borrowed time and their aggressive expansionism are likely in part an attempt to compensate for this deficiency.

As such, I'm more concerned about a civil war in China than I am about China exerting more formal "control" over territories than they already exert.
You're not talking about the US of A...?.....[;)]....

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Well, at least he's not going to be criticized about his human rights record by the Chinese, and I bet he gets to keep all those "disputed" islands in the South China Sea.

I don't know, but how many decades are the PLN behind the USN roughly?
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Wow. I would say this is the biggest set-back since Saigon fell or Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Looks like Viet Nam is now surrounded, Thailand is in trouble and the tanker traffic to Japan had better finder a route from the US instead.

Head-spinning.

I don't understand this "allies with China/Russia". Is there a war on?

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Well, at least he's not going to be criticized about his human rights record by the Chinese, and I bet he gets to keep all those "disputed" islands in the South China Sea.

I don't know, but how many decades are the PLN behind the USN roughly?
I'm not so sure about the islands going to the Philippines. The only reason anyone wants the islands is to extend their claim on the oil under the sea nearby. And as WITP-AE has shown, nations will fight over oil resources.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

What I find interesting is just how this changes the balance of power in the Western Pacific

The balance of power already changed. I bow to the new masters from the Celestial Empire of the Center. Resistance is futile
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Leandros
ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

You're not talking about the US of A...?.....[;)]....

Fred

An epidemic of apathy and cynicism is not likely to lead to a civil war. Plus American citizens can mouth off and say pretty much anything they want. As long as they don't post state secrets to wikileaks, they have little to fear from the gubmint (at this point).

The U.S. is, indeed, an ailing young-adult nation but it was born with a coherent and reasonable vision and it may well recover and experience still more "Golden Ages." Certainly, the vast majority of humanity have migrated toward the broad outlines of the "American way" both geographically, culturally, ideologically, technologically. The world is so embroiled with the United States at this point, it seems unlikely that many who cast disparaging views her way would in fact like to see her go down, and even if they do, they are in a distinct minority. The United States remains the most popular nation on Earth, and the center of global attention, whether it continues to exemplify the ideals on which it was founded or not.

China is a critically ill ancient society which transformed from an autocratic feudal society into a revolutionary anti-colonial society and thence into a "communist" autocracy, indeed a true ideologically-based tyranny. Since that time, China has been forced by history to transform itself into something for which there are no exact precedents in world history: a state-controlled neo-mercantilist pirate society, with nostalgic connections to its "communist" autocratic roots and well-entrenched traditions of supremacist intolerance toward all forms of "diversity" (thought, identity, and rhetoric) which are not sanctioned by the ruling regime.

The clock is ticking for China, and when the bell tolls it is not likely to be pleasant or pretty for any of us, because it is certainly true that China is also deeply embroiled throughout global commerce and finance.

ORIGINAL: Leandros

Head-spinning.

I don't understand this "allies with China/Russia". Is there a war on?

Fred

Many, as you well know; and few of which can be noted to be conflicts over which China or Russia or many Western nations share common goals and interests. China and Russia remain adversaries to "the West" for various reasons, with Western caution, suspicions and/or militarism being a minor contributor.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

There has been no cogent Foreign Policy the last eight years here other then to apologize and draw down the military. This is leading to all sorts of consequences. Nature abhors a vacuum and it is presently being filled.

I am rather terrified of the growth in power by both Russia and China. Concur that China has VAST internal issues. RUSSIA is who scares this boy...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

There has been no cogent Foreign Policy the last eight years here other then to apologize and draw down the military. This is leading to all sorts of consequences. Nature abhors a vacuum and it is presently being filled.

I am rather terrified of the growth in power by both Russia and China. Concur that China has VAST internal issues. RUSSIA is who scares this boy...

Arguably one could extend that "no cogent Foreign Policy" back to about 1991 ;)

When the USSR came apart at the seams, "we" let our guard down.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I would agree with those points.

We came CLOSE to a cogent Foreign Policy in 2001. I don't say a GOOD Foreign Policy but at least it had clear vision to start with.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”