Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Stelteck

RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 16 : 02 October 1941

They shall not pass !!

The battle of Verdun Go On !! Sorry, i mean moscow.....

In the north, evil forces grind their way south, with considerable forces but upon heavy resistances.

German supply in this spearhead come from Kalinin, which is quite complicated and explain that the luftwaffe try to drop supplies and ammunitions to troops inside the tube.

In the south, panzers rushed in plain to the Oka rivers, and try to cross it, but were stopped by an undertrained and poorly equiped rifle division.

New heroes of the soviet union are born !!!! The 351 rifle division !!!

Still despite the fight, moscow is still connected to the rail network, by the sacred line !!!!

This turn i will counter attack the advanced motorized ennemy spearhead with all i got.

Fighting heat up also near voronev where i have some troops, but no enough... Not nearly enough. And the ennemy have now some panzers.

Current looses so far :

And now... The Weather report !!!!!

[&o][&o][&o]

If this report is accurate, next turn the moscow and voronev Area will be covered by mud and rain. Offensive operation will not be possible.
Then, i will enter the mud season still the middle of november !!
It is very, very good news. But can i believe the weather report ?

MUD PLEASE !!!!

[&o][&o]
Brakes are for cowards !!
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

It is funny when i save the game then reload it to finish it later, i have additional information displayed in ennemy logs :
The range to railway.

It is not displayed the first time i open the turn.

Icier

Post by Icier »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

It is funny when i save the game then reload it to finish it later, i have additional information displayed in ennemy logs :
The range to railway.

what did you hit to get that report?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

situation looks dire but if you get mud next turn it could save moscow, good luck
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Make sure the VVS is pounding any unit he doesn't have entrenched. Every tac bomber should be in the Moscow sector. You appear to have a few units to the west and southwest of Moscow that you can afford to move east.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: Ice

The range to railway.

what did you hit to get that report?

Nothing.
To get that report. I load the turn. Do whatever i want, then save it online (not finished).
Next time i reload the turn, i will have this information displayed when i put the mouse over an ennemy unit.
This information was not here previously for ennemy units. It was only available for my units.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 16 : 02 October 1941

And now... The Weather report !!!!!

[&o][&o][&o]

If this report is accurate, next turn the moscow and voronev Area will be covered by mud and rain. Offensive operation will not be possible.
Then, i will enter the mud season still the middle of november !!
It is very, very good news. But can i believe the weather report ?

MUD PLEASE !!!!

[&o][&o]
Be careful, usually turn 17 is clear weather.... but I hope you will get mud
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
BK6583

Post by BK6583 »

For encercled troops, i know pelton usually keep them alive to prevent them for returning, so i tried to stick them like glue to panzers in hope to got them some hasty attacks and maybe hamper supply.

Pelton,

I'm still learning this game and was intrigued by the above quote. Can you explain why? I always try to wipe out isolated Russians to keep the German divisions moving east.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

The idea behind this is: If a division is destroyed, it returns a few turns later as a reinforcement (but as an shell with 50 men or so). If you keep Soviet divisions alive at a place where they are no harm, your opponent get less empty shells and can't defend in depth that well or has to buy more divisions with Admin Point which are always short for the early war Soviet player.

@Stelteck: THe problem is that he must not get even one hex closer to the railway or it will stop working as one (will only reduce the MPs for the supply calculation). So you really have no buffer.
A heroic stand of the 351st division Stelteck!
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Pelton shall not be here [:D]

Troops that you destroy return some weeks after as empty shell. ("troops are reorganizing").

So some players try to keep alive the soviet troops trapped in the initial opening as long as possible in order to prevent them for returning too soon. It can be done by using second line divisions such as security to maintain the trap. (Of course, it shall not stop good german infantry to move forward).

Some soviet player like me then try to suicide the divisions as soon as possible by attacking instead of trying to maintain the perimeter.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

PS: Mind the edit in my post Stelteck.
The window showing the distance to the rail for enemy hexagons is really mysterious. In some cases it shows up, in some not.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

No news of new turn yet. The suspens is huge !!!!!
BK6583

Post by BK6583 »

Pelton shall not be here [:D]

Troops that you destroy return some weeks after as empty shell. ("troops are reorganizing").

So some players try to keep alive the soviet troops trapped in the initial opening as long as possible in order to prevent them for returning too soon. It can be done by using second line divisions such as security to maintain the trap. (Of course, it shall not stop good german infantry to move forward).

Some soviet player like me then try to suicide the divisions as soon as possible by attacking instead of trying to maintain the perimeter.

Ok - To follow up I'm on T2 as the Germans playing the 41-45 campaign first time. So I guess I leave a light screen around the pocket and eventually the Russians trapped there will surrender? Or at some point am I going to have to send in some combat units and clean them out?
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Ok - To follow up I'm on T2 as the Germans playing the 41-45 campaign first time. So I guess I leave a light screen around the pocket and eventually the Russians trapped there will surrender? Or at some point am I going to have to send in some combat units and clean them out?

The units inside the pocket will get weaker and weaker. If you do not need the troops use to keep the pocket, you can keep soviet units here for a while.
They will still probably not surrender if they can get supply from stockpiles in cities or things like that.
you will have to clear the pocket at a moment, but no hurry.
ericv

Post by ericv »

The german tactic of not attacking encircled soviet units can easily be thwarted by mass attacking with the encircled soviet units. the majority of the encircled soviet units will reach a CV of 0 after one attack and autosurrender next turn. Nothing GHC can do about that. A couple of hardy soviet units will take a couple of turns.
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

ORIGINAL: ericv

The german tactic of not attacking encircled soviet units can easily be thwarted by mass attacking with the encircled soviet units. the majority of the encircled soviet units will reach a CV of 0 after one attack and autosurrender next turn. Nothing GHC can do about that. A couple of hardy soviet units will take a couple of turns.

This has another consequence in boosting German morale. Last thing that Soviet want to see is many 80+ morale Inf. divisions in 42.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Turn 17 : 09 october 1941

My glorious communist scientist were right !!! Time of rain is upon us !!!!!!

It is very good because next turn, i will really be in rain season, so there is a high chance to have rain until mid november.

After that, i will probably have around 3 turns of gentle snow, before the blizzard !!!

Due to mud, situation is frozen, and i hope german troops in the north spearhead will have problem to get supply by truck though the mud.

Same thing at voronev :

So, the immediate short term gain of some turns of mud :

- I will be able to evacuate all industry of moscow.
- I will be able to refit depleted divisions and train them a little.
- New renforcements will come.
But, i will not be able to dig much as digging in mud is not easy.

Still, i'am not sûre to keep moscow this year yet as i probably have to defend the area 3 to 5 more turns until the end of the year.

But, blizzard is coming. My opponent usually retreat to defensive position to prepare to the winter (After having taken all its objectives).
If the german commit to much in the hope of taking moscow just before the deadline, he could be a bad position for the winter.

The winter is not so dangerous for german as we play mild winter and i do not have the soviet attack bonus.

But i will do my best and prepare a massive offensive against the ennemy spearhead near moscow as soon as the blizzard appear !!!

I'am building a third elite army to join the 50st and 51st qualified for offensive operation.

I'am hoping for new cavalry corps too that i can built starting from december.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

For comparison purposes, what are the Order of Battles for Soviet and Germany (men, guns, armor and air)?

You really have taken on a challenge if you play Pelton with both mild winter and no bonus.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

First, i have to report an heroic deed !!

After close analysis, i notice that a partisan bataillon have managed to cut the entire north ennemy spearhead around moscow !!!
These divisions now have epic MP cost to reach railroad and supply !!
Glory to partisan !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhq-s15F88g

Now, the situation logs :

chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

You lost alot of heavy industry if that number is right. Long run that low a number could hurt. Because if I remember right its something like 170-180 is required to fully supply an 8M man Soviet army.

You many end up needing to watch your supply count and actually spend AP to lower production on some elements to save supply....would just keep an eye on your supply stock piles with your heavy that low going forward.

Return to “After Action Reports”