Very long AI turn duration...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Corto2London

Very long AI turn duration...

Post by Corto2London »

Hi,
I just bought WitW and I'm very surprised of the AI turn duration.
Between my PF12 and the begining of my next turn, 20 or 30 mins can pass.
I have quiet a good and fast PC (Intel I7, 16 Gb RAM...).
When playing WitE, I don't encounter this "problem", one AI turn being aroung 3/5 mins.

Have I a configuration's problem or is it the normal way of AI playing ???

Thanks for your answers.
Helpless

RE: Very long AI turn duration...

Post by Helpless »

What is the version you are playing? I remember there was one looping AI issue solved recently.

Is there any particular AI phases which takes long to process? Can you replicate it?
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no that's not normal for me, i have a few pc's, but lets look at your report to start off with and go from there,

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)

beat by Helpless so i'll withdraw
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

If you have the message level set to high then it can take a long time too. Use Shift-I and 0-7 to set other levels.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Corto2London

Post by Corto2London »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your answers.
You can find attached the DxDiag result.
I will try to be as accurate as possible in my description :

I play with the last game update : 1.01.37
I desactivated my AVG anti virus in order to eliminate one possible problem.
I started the game as administrator.
I tuned messages level at 0 in order not to slow down combat phases.

When AI starts to play, each air phases are quiet fast, 2 min max for air exec + air logistic + air transport.
The problem appears each time during AI Turn, at exactly 31% of AI turn.
At this moment, there are no units movements on the screen, no combat sounds anymore, only figures on certain units are blinking. And it stay like that around 15 mins. Each time at exactly 31% of AI turn.
Then it restart, I can see units movements and combat sounds, and AI turn finishes within 2 mins more.
It looks like a kind of freezing, each time at the exact same moment of AI turn.
Quiet strange.
During this "pause", I checked all programs running in the same time, noting special, WitW is taking around 25% CPU, and nothing else is taking more than 0.5% at this time.

Voilà.

If you need some more info...
Thanks mate.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(77.34 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

The problem appears each time during AI Turn, at exactly 31% of AI turn.

Can you please send a save to 2by3@2by3games.com ?
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Corto2London

Post by Corto2London »

Thanks mate for taking care of my problem.
I just sent to this address a few saves of a game, my DxDiag and a picture of running applications at the time of trouble.

Thanks for your time

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”