Naval and Defense News

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Hongjian

RE: Naval and Defense News

Post by Hongjian »

In other news; the J-20 production is continuing: Now, sporting a new camo-paint. The exact number of LRIP birds is unknown now, but assumed to be around seven to ten.

Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Looks like the EA-03 "Soaring Dragon" HALE UAV has reached LRIP stage as well.

Four EA-03s sighted at Guizhou Aircraft Company. And only now, we can see how big these strange box-wing UAVs actually are!

General information about this UAV from the Chinese Military Aviation Blog:

Besides Wing Loong, another long-range semi-stealth UAV called EA-03 has been developed by 611 Institute and GAAC. This large UAV features a box/diamond wing design to increase lift while reducing drag and weight. EA-03 reportedly weighs 7,500kg and has a range of 7,000km, a cruising speed of 750km/hr and a cruising altitude of 18,000m. A technology demonstrator called Soaring Dragon was first built at CAC for ground testing in 2011. Subsequently it underwent substantial redesign based on the issues revealed during the tests. The new redesigned EA-03 appears to feature several major changes. It has a smaller length and wingspan. It also has twin vertical slanted tailfins extending outwards plus twin ventral stabilizing fins. This gives the UAV a lower profile than its predecessor. Similar to BZK-009, it has a head bulge housing a SATCOM antenna, as well as a dorsal air intake. The engine was speculated to be AI-222-25 turbofan initially on the prototypes and later the new Mingshan (WS-17?) without A/B developed by the 649 Institute. Several dark fairings can be seen on the lower part of the fuselage which could house FLIR or CCD cameras as well as an SAR antenna. The UAV is expected to fly long-range recon and EW missions. It was rumored that a EA-03 prototype was built by mid-2012 and first flight took place in late 2012 at the GAAC airfield. Currently the UAV is in initial production at GAAC and is ready to enter the service with PLAN as a HALE ELINT UAV.

http://chinese-military-aviation.blogsp ... av-ii.html
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

The unmanned submersible watercraft, named Guardian, is announced by JMS, as the diving version of Ghost. It will becomes the anti-sub platform with much faster performance:

http://newatlas.com/jms-guardian-usv/46016/

Ghost marine platform takes a dive with unmanned submersible Guardian

A few years ago, Juliet Marine Systems (JMS) unveiled the Ghost, an angular boat that could actively reduce drag in the water by creating a bubble of gas around its two foils. Now the company has announced plans for the Guardian, a submersible version of the craft designed for both manned and unmanned military operations, on or below the surface.

Like its predecessor, the Guardian's active drag reduction system is based on the principle of supercavitation, where friction is lessened by the craft creating a bubble of air around itself. That in turn allows it a better top speed without using more fuel, and JMS says that at it's fastest – which is when it's traveling on the surface with four feet (1.2 m) between the waterline and the keel – the Guardian can hit 35 knots (65 km/h, 40 mph).

There's no word on its top speed when the craft is fully submerged, or how well the supercavitation works then, but JMS believes the option opens up more possibilities for the Guardian than the Ghost, aided by the fact that it can operate without the three-person crew of the previous model.

"We believe Guardian is the first surface vessel that is a fully submersible Unmanned Surface Vehicle (USV) and one that will meet or exceed the USV mission needs of navies around the world at relatively low cost," says Gregory Sancoff, President and CEO of JMS. "We expect it to transform the way navies fulfill their operational requirements in maritime technology and provide greater capacity in littoral operations, with a host of multi-mission capabilities encompassing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR); mine hunting; and anti-swarm, short-range firepower. There is no other platform like this in the world."

Measuring between 30 and 45 ft (9.1 and 13.7 m) long, the Guardian will run on a diesel powertrain with a hybrid electric drive. While none have been produced so far, JMS estimates construction would take between 18 and 24 months, and the craft will be standardized for easy maintenance and can be customized according to the needs of the customer.
FoxZz

Post by FoxZz »

I did not see the news yet so here it is :

DCNS is unveiling the new 4000t FTI Belh@rra frigate meant to replace the French navy La Fayette class light frigates in 2023.

It will be fitted with the new Thales Sea Fire 500 radar, a flat panel AESA radar, as well as the new compact Captas 4 TASS, the Kingclip MkII (or UMS 4110 not sure yet) hull sonar, torpedo launchers, 16 A50 Sylvers, 8 Exocet B3 missiles and an Oto-Melera 76mm arty piece. It will be able to host 1 NH90 Helicopter or 1 Panther and 1 drone.. It's auntonmy is given for 5000nm at 15 knots.

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... igate.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8DQIpa_Xc

On the Sea Fire radar : http://www.air-cosmos.com/euronaval-201 ... -fti-84195 (it's in French, but google translate works pretty well).
500km against ballistic missiles
80km against surface targets
Will will work in the S band and will be able to track more than 800 targets in the same time with a high refreshing rate.

Would be cool if it could be added to to the DB. (radar and frigate).
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/americas- ... to-largest

Neat set of pictures, even if it is 'click bait'.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

So today in the news we read about a Russian carrier group ready to sail through the English Channel and the Philippines aligning with China and Russia. Their leader proudly announced the US "lost" and mentioned negotiations re: the South China Sea. With the 75th of Pearl just weeks away it makes one wonder if the clock has been reset and ticking again.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

A picture for you ! (of the above...)

Attachments
RWS.jpg
RWS.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Broncepulido

Post by Broncepulido »

F-35A attacking North Korea nuke plant .... on simulator:
http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/a-ci ... id=3755003
Broncepulido

Post by Broncepulido »

F-35A planned to be deployed in 6 planes mini-detachments:
http://www.businessinsider.com/f35-mini ... ls-2016-10
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

The Admiral Kuznetsov belches as much smoke as a WWI battleship!
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

You cannot expect green energy with steam turbine and HFO.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Philippines aligning with China and Russia. Their leader proudly announced the US "lost" and mentioned negotiations re: the South China Sea.

Frankly, I don't blame the Philippines. The Pacific/western alliance is weak and without leadership. China is the aggressor in the South China sea where the Philippines has tenuous claims to certain islands such as some of the Sprats. Aligning with China/Russia would allow them to not only hold on to those claims, but develop them including any oil/gas reserves that might exist...and getting Chinese money to do so.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

You cannot expect green energy with steam turbine and HFO.

Why are you still here? Can somebody get rid of this annoying troll already.

Mike
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Why are you still here? Can somebody get rid of this annoying troll already. Mike

Really? And why am I a "troll"?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Why are you still here? Can somebody get rid of this annoying troll already. Mike

Really? And why am I a "troll"?

I was responding to Dysta and his never ending line of meaningless posts.

MIke
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

He is better than he used to be...but its relative.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Frankly, I rarely come to this thread anymore. There are some good posts, but every time someone in China/Russia puts out a propaganda PR, I have to wade though 10 posts with pictures of models or pictures fuzzy as to be useless. Unlike the US and other countries, there is no civilian oversight over claims or transparent budget process to at least get some insight into reality.

This thread needs some cleanup.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Mike, you're better than this too. I already don't want to wage political and wild-mass-guess debates as you told me I am a troll, and you got what you want already.

And now a small response about smoking Kuznetsov and you give me another response, irreverently?

I don't like sub-correctness either, but demanding a victim is the least I could expect here.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think you are missing the point. I don't know if its language, culture, or something personal, but don't get involved in stuff where you are adding little value to the conversation. We all know you have opinions, but expressing a an opinion that adds nothing to the conversation just clouds issues and answers.

Take a break from posting on the forum for a bit. I would like to say you seem smart, but you come off as speaking about things you seem to know little about. As I am reminded every day at work, listen a lot more than you talk. It makes you seem smarter and sincere. Try it.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”