Axis game, Chalaging dificulty, Lvov pocket impossible?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Mamluke

Axis game, Chalaging dificulty, Lvov pocket impossible?

Post by Mamluke »

Hello there

I started a new game with 1.08.10. as Axis, Bitter End with Challenging dificulty. Lock HQ support.

now, I admit, I haven't played a grand Campaing in like 10+ months, so my memory is quite fussy, however there are some espects that seam odd. the 1st one is.

at Army Grouth South - 1st Panzer Group. it has 2 panzer corps (1 Forzen / Imobilized), so in effect Army group South has 4 active panzer Divisions and... 2 Frozen Motorize? was this always a thing? I'm sure the other frozen pazer corps behind the Lines is legit, but Im not sure about the Motorize divisions.

To make a long story short, even doing my best to use infantry Divisions for breakthrough, so that the panzer Divisions only had to use hasty attacks, I encounter such a Dense concentration of units in Northern Ukraine, it seams to me, making the Lvov pocket is almost unfeasible??
I've seen Post after Post of good players showing their exploits of the Lvov pocket, (and able to do it with such certainty), I even achivied my own Lvov pocket long time ago. (I think it was 1.07 or 1.06) that Im at a loss for words...

Im also using the XXXXVI panzer Corps (2nd panzer Group) to assist Army group Center with those nasty SOV Mechanize (HQ) corps) right below the Pripyat marshes.

ACTUALLY now that I think about it, I really should have used 17th Army more effectively. there is at least 4 Divisions I can use to help 6th Army with out leaving the border unprotected.

Image[/img]

BTW, I also Micro heavy the Air phase for turn 1 and achived 4227 destroyed planes at end turn, I gived HIGH priority for Recon planes, since I know SOV production of those is lacking. I destroyed up to 181 recon planes I think!

So what do you guys think?

Disgruntled Veteran

RE: Axis game, Chalaging dificulty, Lvov pocket impossible?

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

A simple tip is to plan on using all infantry units to achieve Lvov pocket. With that in mind, start by using the units with the lowest mp's and those that are farthest away first. Use the 16mp units on the front line last. Same with your tank divisions. I usually go through Tarnopal while many others go east of it. Whatever route works for you.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

ACTUALLY now that I think about it, I really should have used 17th Army more effectively. there is at least 4 Divisions I can use to help 6th Army with out leaving the border unprotected.
I use most of 17th army to punch a 30 mile wide hole at ivanichi that everything then pours through. I commit at least one of AGC's pz corps to the South, usually the 24th.

The Kovel pocket is made using only infantry plus the 1st cav division. That leaves the armor to punch through the strong defenses North of Tarnopol which then leaves a clear run down to the Romanian border for 11th panzer division.

I don't care much if the Lvov pocket is broken on turn one, I concentrate more on bagging as much as I can West of the Goryn river. It can be made watertight on turn 2 if necessary.
2 Frozen Motorize? was this always a thing?
Yes they were always frozen turn 1.
stefankollers

Post by stefankollers »

Here is a good link showing how to form the pocket. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh2z9-oq9s. Actually this is a very good series and would certainly be worth your time to view. All the best.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”