ETA?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
larryfulkerson

RE: ETA?

Post by larryfulkerson »

"We should DEFINITELY make TOAW 5"
You must be the eternal optimist. After all the trouble they went through to make a TOAW IV ( if they do ) can you
imagine the trouble they might have to go through to make a TOAW V? I'd like to be a beta tester for that bad boy.
Thanks for bringing it up.......there's still hope out there.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
"We should DEFINITELY make TOAW 5"
You must be the eternal optimist.
Hehe, or you. You've been around a l o n g time, gotta wonder how old you are. By my reckoning you'll be lucky to see TOAW IV at this rate, and you'll be playing V top side for sure.[;)]
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

gotta wonder how old you are.
I'll be 67 next March. But when I'm playing games and I'm in the zone I don't feel that old. I don't expect to live much past the
release of TOAW IV. Not so very much.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I'm 57, my parents are 88 and 78...their parents all died at ages 89+......I expect to be playing for decades yet :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

I'm 57, my parents are 88 and 78...their parents all died at ages 89+......I expect to be playing for decades yet :)
Yes, but what? Maybe not TOAW IV. Since it's now becoming a life and death matter, maybe the dev team should think again about giving us some feedback as to ETA.

I mean even Ralph is mortal, and he must surely be wondering whether he's gonna make it too, or who he's gonna pass the baton to when the grim reaper comes knocking.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

You guys tell me if I'm obsessed with death: I'm thinking about it almost constantly away from my keyboard. I use the computer to zone it out.
I think of my house as a museum where I "used to live". I wonder if the game I'm playing is the last I ever will. That kind of thing.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Yeah you are obsessed....even though you won't notice it at all afterwards...;)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

So far I'm on the right side of the grass.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress. If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game. My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread. Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress.
Welcome to the TOAW IV forum dude. Make yourself at home. Take your shoes off, get
comfortable. This place is really friendly and it's got lots of helpful players who
would be more than glad to answer your questions etc. I'm going to have to put together
a list of the places a person can go to get scenarios because there's probably close to
a thousand of them by now. You can make your own you see, and a lot of really talented
players have crafted some really good ones. You'll see.
If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game.
Better late than never. Don't be put off by the DOS-like graphics, the simulation under
the hood is one of the best. And the AI is somewhat decent for a change. I've grown to
like it a lot. I took a year's hiatus from TOAW to play WITE a few years ago but I got
bored with WITE and I'm back to TOAW now and really missed it.
My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread: Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.
The Forum is kind of sparse now but after TOAW IV is released traffic will pick up a lot.
I expect to do some AAR's myself, some to demonstrate the new Naval rules, and I want to
do a game against the AI to get an idea how formidable it is now. There's lots of players
who have gotten in on the ground floor with TOAW and they say that IV is the best yet. I
believe it. I think maybe you'll like it too.
Wee Sodjer

Post by Wee Sodjer »

gotta wonder how old you are.
I'll be 67 next March. But when I'm playing games and I'm in the zone I don't feel that old. I don't expect to live much past the
release of TOAW IV. Not so very much.

I am 67 already and have no intention of kicking the bucket anytime soon.
James O'Neill
fogger

Post by fogger »

I was 62 yesterday and I plan on being round for TOAW 5
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Hmmm, I frequent here every so often to see the progress.
1) Welcome to the TOAW IV forum dude. Make yourself at home. Take your shoes off, get comfortable.
2) This place is really friendly and it's got lots of helpful players who would be more than glad to answer your questions etc.
3) I'm going to have to put together a list of the places a person can go to get scenarios because there's probably close to
a thousand of them by now. You can make your own you see, and a lot of really talented players have crafted some really good ones. You'll see.
If I live long enough IV would be my first purchase of this game.
4) Better late than never.
5) Don't be put off by the DOS-like graphics, the simulation under the hood is one of the best.
6) And the AI is somewhat decent for a change. I've grown to like it a lot.
7) I took a year's hiatus from TOAW to play WITE a few years ago but I got bored with WITE and I'm back to TOAW now and really missed it.
My comment on the recent reflections on life here in this thread: Its almost as good as me going on a spiritual retreat. And don't have to pay room and board.
8) The Forum is kind of sparse now but after TOAW IV is released traffic will pick up a lot.
9) I expect to do some AAR's myself, some to demonstrate the new Naval rules, and I want to do a game against the AI to get an idea how formidable it is now.
10) There's lots of players who have gotten in on the ground floor with TOAW and they say that IV is the best yet. I believe it. I think maybe you'll like it too.
Well, let's see here:

1) Yes, do. If you're waiting on IV you might as well, cos it could be a mighty long wait.
2) Had more than has. Most players have moved on, either sideways or in some cases upwards.
3) Yes, most made in the 'Golden Age' of TOAW, many unplayable now due to changing game mechanics. A lot of the best talent has gone, along with the players.
4) Too true, how late is up in the air, never remains a possibility.
5) I wouldn't call map/counters DOS-like, though the menus may be.
6) The AI even with later buffing still isn't very good- any reasonable player should be able to run rings around it, but you could say that for a lot of games.
7) Command Ops is maybe worth a shot. Try WiTP?
8) No s^!t. Traffic picking up? Sure, and when will that release be? I can hear all those wheelchairs revving up right now...
9) Great. New Naval Rules? Where? When will these AARs appear?
10) Who's played TOAW IV yet?

In sum, I appreciate the sentiments, but I think it's really unfair to hold out hope to potential new players when there's ABSOLUTELY NO TIME LINE FOR A RELEASE OF TOAW IV IF AT ALL.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: fogger

I was 62 yesterday and I plan on being round for TOAW 5

I did see something the other day that the "natural" max lifespan for humans is thought to be 115....so maybe....;)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

In sum, I appreciate the sentiments, but I think it's really unfair to hold out hope to potential new players when there's ABSOLUTELY NO TIME LINE FOR A RELEASE OF TOAW IV IF AT ALL.
I'm going for the optimistic, upbeat, bright and cheerful approach.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

LoL- I'm just politely trying to warn you that you could get sued... Besides, someone has to peddle the alternative doom and gloom side...
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: General Staff
LoL- I'm just politely trying to warn you that you could get sued... Besides, someone has to peddle the alternative doom and gloom side...
Oooooooooh. I hadn't thought of a lawsuit. I'm not very street smart.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: General Staff

Sued? For what? A recently released game called No Man's Sky blatantly posted trailers that were considerably more than what the actual release provided. They didn't get sued. Legal litigation over games is very rare and even more rarely succeed. So, who would get sued and for what?

The game will get released. I'm not especially patient and it has taken far too long. On the plus side are all of the other great games I've found during the endless 'development'. Probably never would have found Schwerpunkt Games' War in Europe and I certainly wouldn't have bought Decisive Games' titles. All great games. So the wait has had good sides and bad sides.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Probably never would have found Schwerpunkt Games' War in Europe and I certainly wouldn't have bought Decisive Games' titles. All great games. So the wait has had good sides and bad sides.
I've looked at Schwerpunkt but if you took the plunge, can I ask how you found it versus TOAW? And the Decisive Games titles you found good? Any pointers here, appreciated.

If this seems OT, since there's no ETA might as well discuss alternatives while we 'make ourselves at home, take our shoes off'.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The Schwerpunkt interface takes a few minutes to get used to. But once you start using it then the game becomes fun. The World War 2 in Europe game is the newest and has the best interface so I would go with that. The two earlier titles are West Front only and East Front only. World War 2 in Europe is as the name implies. So no need to buy the other two. There are many, many scenarios and more on the way. In my opinion it is well worth the price. This coming from a war gamer since I was 12 years old. That's 55 years of gaming and counting.

The DC games are a different animal from TOAW and Schwerpunkt. Cards to influence outcomes is one of the biggest differences. I have Case Blue and it is being updated with the Barbarossa improvements. Then they will update DC The Blitzkreig. There are some things about Barbarossa that make me hesitant to buy it. Some inability to transfer troops from German Front to Front. Maybe I'll still get it *shrug*. If you like to play some TOAW scenarios that encompass larger scales then you will probably like the DC titles. There are player made scenarios available on the DC site.

Personally I'm very happy with both purchases. I would bet dollars to donuts DC titles will end up on sale come Xmas time.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”