New to the game - Basic Questions

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

paulderynck

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Does a TRS have the ability to sink or force a CP to abort? In the Arabian Sea, as the CW player, I'm given the chance to try to initiate a naval combat. Would I ever want to do that just with a TRS?
A TRS can initiate a search if it is not disorganized. Not often done but if FREX you could react into the sea zone with a long range NAV, in lieu of getting anything else there; then there might be a rare occasion where you should have this in your bag of tricks.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Does a TRS have the ability to sink or force a CP to abort? In the Arabian Sea, as the CW player, I'm given the chance to try to initiate a naval combat. Would I ever want to do that just with a TRS?
A TRS can initiate a search if it is not disorganized. Not often done but if FREX you could react into the sea zone with a long range NAV, in lieu of getting anything else there; then there might be a rare occasion where you should have this in your bag of tricks.
Now that makes sense. So, one could use a lone TRS to try to initiate a combat and then fly in one or more air units into the sea area to fight the battle. Slick. [8D]
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Is Sardinia included for calculating garrison ratios for Italian surrender?
Ronnie
Orm

Post by Orm »

No. Sardinia is not part of the Italian Home Country. Sicily is, but not Sardinia.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

No. Sardinia is not part of the Italian Home Country. Sicily is, but not Sardinia.
Thanks. That's what I thought.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Italy is conquered by the US. Why is control of the hex directly east of Nice given to the USA?

Attachments
99Italy.jpg
99Italy.jpg (907.61 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ZoC cannot be contested by any other major power as per the conquest rules for control of hexes. And Vichy is classed as a major power.
Every one of its hexes occupied by a land or aircraft unit (most combat factors if more than one), or in the uncontested (by any other major power) ZoC of a land unit, becomes controlled by that unit’s controlling major power; unless already controlled by another major power on the same side. All other hexes in the home country become controlled by the conquering major power.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Thanks. Now another question. Is there any circumstances under which a unit placed during the reinforcement phase would be marked as moved during the first impulse of that same turn?

To see what I'm talking about check out tm.asp?m=4088286

There were about a half of dozen Soviet ground units "marked" as already having moved. I went in an manually changed their status back to unmoved so I could move them during the first impulse. Did I break some rule?
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Nope, that looks like either a newly introduced bug or somehow a damaged save file.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Nope, that looks like either a newly introduced bug or somehow a damaged save file.
Thanks.

Next question. [8D]

Germany collapsed Vichy last impulse. Syria and two units which were Vichy are now Free France. Free France is at war with all three axis powers. I'm unable to move the two "new" Free French units from Syria into Transjordan, which was conquered by Italy. Italy though was incompletely conquered last turn by the USA. My question is is it correct that I can't move the two Free French units in Syria into Transjordan?

Attachments
03ALWESTEastMed.jpg
03ALWESTEastMed.jpg (622.01 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

As long as Trans-Jordan is axis controlled, you should be able to move Syrians into it. Looks like a cooperation bug.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

As long as Trans-Jordan is axis controlled, you should be able to move Syrians into it. Looks like a cooperation bug.
OK, I'll report this in the tech forum then.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

OK, I'll report this in the tech forum then.
New mind, not a bug. France and Italy weren't at war with each.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

During the end of turn activities, such as stay at sea and return to base, I see that the phasing player goes first followed by the non-phasing player. How is the phasing and non-phasing player for the end of turn determined?
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

My understanding is that it is decided by whoever was moving in the impulse that ended when the turn ended.

This has been changed in RAW8 - to the way we always played it without realizing RAW7 has it different! (and I think non-intuitive and less consistent). The new way is the player with the initiative goes first for Stay at Sea and first for RTB.

I honestly haven't noticed if MWiF is doing it per RAW7 or RAW8, I've just gone by the order they've come up.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

My understanding is that it is decided by whoever was moving in the impulse that ended when the turn ended.

This has been changed in RAW8 - to the way we always played it without realizing RAW7 has it different! (and I think non-intuitive and less consistent). The new way is the player with the initiative goes first for Stay at Sea and first for RTB.

I honestly haven't noticed if MWiF is doing it per RAW7 or RAW8, I've just gone by the order they've come up.
I as the allies was moving when the turn ended. However, MWiF has the axis as the phasing player. The axis moved first and the allies last this turn. Does that have anything to do with it?
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I as the allies was moving when the turn ended. However, MWiF has the axis as the phasing player. The axis moved first and the allies last this turn. Does that have anything to do with it?
Assuming the Axis moved first because they had the initiative* - it then appears MWiF is doing this as per RAW8 not according to the "phasing player" definition.

*(normally that would be the case, but I suppose occasionally a player with the initiative might choose to move second)

Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

RAW 7
13.4 Return to base
Units at sea can return to base during this step. If they do, they will be available to sail again in the next turn. Those that stay at sea will only be able to stay in the sea-box next turn or sail back to a port.
Units may return to base during naval movement, after aborting from combat and during this step. You return units to base like a normal naval move except in reverse.
Each unit returning to base is limited by its movement allowance (reduced for the sea-box section it is occupying) and by its range.
A unit must return to base during this step if it is:
ï any unit (except convoy points) of a neutral major power; or
ï a TRS with a cargo on board; or
ï any unit (except convoy points) in the 0 section.
Any other of your units can return to base if you like. Convoy points can stay at sea even if they are in the 0 section. If they do return to base, they won’t be able to convoy resources in the production step of this turn.
Both sides (side with initiative first) must decide which units to return to base and which to keep at sea.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Initiative has nothing to do with who is phasing at that moment. It's the one who won the initial roll and decided whether he would make the first move or his opponent.

Also from RAW 7:
6. Initiative Stage
In this stage you work out which side has the initiative. This affects who has the first impulse and who goes first in various other activities. Once you have the initiative, you keep it until this stage of next turn.
6.1 Determining initiative
Each side rolls a die. The space the marker occupies on the initiative track will give one side or the other a modifier (except in the middle space).
The side with the higher modified roll wins the initiative. If tied, the side that has the initiative from the previous turn loses.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Which means that MWIF is coded correctly.
Peter

Return to “WIF School”