TF Lands partial unit over beach head then leaves

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

anglonorman

TF Lands partial unit over beach head then leaves

Post by anglonorman »

I am trying to land some units on Lunga to take on the Japanese force there. I seem to get one of the units partially landed then the rest of the task force leaves. Why is that?

anglonorman

RE: TF Lands partial unit over beach head then leaves

Post by anglonorman »

Its frustrating.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Why did the destination change to Suva? It should have landed/unloaded until the troops and equipment were beached. Could be the threat level? Any major enmy threats there and what threat level did you switch on?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Maybe they are retreating from the Japanese surface vessels?
anglonorman

Post by anglonorman »

I am not really sure. the 24th (Sep) infantry regiment was based in Suva. I loaded them up and sent them off to Lunga. they landed a partial then left. I had retirement allowed in this mission. I then turned them around and sent them back to Lunga with an order to remain on station. Again they turned and fled. I figured as you said perhaps due to the IJN being in the area but they are just IJN transports. Last phase they managed to get a Light Cruiser down the slot since I was sinking all their transports. At any rate I sent some destroyers and I think even a CL to the same DH to give the transport TF some support but it just turned around again and began heading back to Suva which is what you see in the screen shot I posted. BTW the same is happening with the 7th marines i just landed at Lunga too. The TF lands a partial then departs.

The AI may be out of whack here? I believe the Japanese transports have all unloaded but they won't return to their ports. They just sit there. I even managed to get 2 TF's on them and blast the hell out their transports (Before one of their CL's arrved) but they don't retreat. They just sit there and get hammered. Now I can see if the designer of the scenario wanted a more aggressive Japanese AI but this is not even remotely historically accurate.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Are you trying to land onto a Japanese held base ~ especially one that you thought was empty but is in fact held ??

I made such mistakes early in my learning.

--

If the base is Japans, held and defended (with troops), your "TRANSPORT" (Mission type) type Task force will unload a small cadre then back away and it will not unload the rest of the troops within the task force.

Simply put the docks are not available to you. The enemy holds them.

In order to take the Japanese held base you should constitute the task force as AMPHIBIOUS (Mission type) ~ which will land your troops over the shore and will attack the entire base plus the docks.

I might be wrong but this was an early learning I had trying to be aggressive.

Rule: Scout Scout Scout and then Scout some more before you invade anywhere.. patience is hard [8D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
anglonorman

Post by anglonorman »

That makes sense. But what of the IJN transports not retreating after having like 11 of them sunk by my 2 TF's? Normally wouldn't they RTB after seeing most of their ships blasted out of the water and no support around to help them?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

That makes sense. A Transport TF ain't land on enemy held bases. Try to switch it to Amphibious.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I bet Macclan5's suggestion will fix your issue. But another thing that might make some difference: open up the "Following / Waypoints" control pane (accessed via the control toggle immediately under the "Set Destination" control on the top right side of the TF image.

for TF that I want to land 100% of the load, and not backoff EVER (victory or death type deal!): I routinely set it to:

Direct
Absolute

I forget what the categories are that those two parameters are set under but it will be obvious when you are in the pane. I think the former one is something like "Route Risk" with other options along the lines of "Normal / Low / Safe / Safer / Direct / Coastal" and the other one something like "Normal / Low / Safe / Safest / Absolute" . . .

You can also set way points even with those two parameters selected and and coastal can also be selected in that combination too. You can do some pretty amazing things with the way point functionality, but with that great flexibility comes even more ways to screw it up if you don't take the time to test and see how stuff works [;)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Daviddas

That makes sense. But what of the IJN transports not retreating after having like 11 of them sunk by my 2 TF's? Normally wouldn't they RTB after seeing most of their ships blasted out of the water and no support around to help them?

You will need to unload that TF at a friendly base before you can switch it to Amphibious and re-load. There is a 20% penalty in loading an Amphib TF because it is loaded for quick unload rather than maximum use of space. You may need more ships or have to leave some stuff behind.

If you are playing against the Japanese AI, it is following a script that says it has to take and build up Guadalcanal bases, so it will keep throwing stuff at that task until it is done or the timeline for accomplishing it has expired. Beware, it will eventually throw some combat ships at the problem if it has some nearby and not already tasked with other scripts.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”