Things that need fixing in Germany at War 1.08

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

Things that need fixing in Germany at War 1.08

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi guys,

this is a collection of the findings here in the forum. It will be expanded if new things show up.

These issues will be fixed in 1.08.

- If units can be deployed and the last in the list was disbanded, the game crashed
- Embarking units into airtransport produced "ghost units" that could not be moved
- Values of resources and undeployed units were not updated after returning from recruitment to inspection
- Crash in hq if you loaded a map without units
- Error in sound handler lead unter certain circumstances to a game crash in deploy window
- Fixing rocket launcher names & symbols in NATO symbols (terminator)
- Elite Panzergrenadiers had no fuel (terminator)
- Ugrades sometimes can never be reached with new limitation of formation (terminator)
- Halftracks afflicted by track penalties in winter ? (terminator)
- 7TP wrong model and values (terminator)
- Airlift needs to leave trucks behind (terminator)
- BF110 fighter version needs more ammo
- Combat engineers values need to differ more from normal engineers
- Engineers could remove mines while airborne
- Editor: brigades have wrong maximum strength (terminator)
- 75mm 40M with hungarian flag
- Zrinyi II with skirts
- Ships seem cause crash due to missing upgrades
- Panzer IV Ausf F (F1 & F2 model 3D)
- Rail bridge repaired with "destroyed" symbol
- errors in text "Spezialized"
- airtransport available in airport
- several air units have way too much ammo (like FW190D)
- Slovak infantry slightly too expensive
- Nato symbols of Polish units under Soviet control should have colour of minors
- German cavalry branch will be expanded
- add missing transports for Polish units

New fan made scenarios to be added:

- Bialystok 1941 (terminator)
- Eben-Emael 1940 (1.01) (terminator)
- Kalinin offense (terminator)
- Odessa 1941 (terminator)
stormbringer3

RE: Things that need fixing in Germany at War 1.08

Post by stormbringer3 »

Ronald,
Thanks for the continued support for this excellent game. You give this game better support than a lot of titles in the New Releases part of the forum. IMO Matrix should move this game back up there to give it better exposure,
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Ronald,
The list of the problems found in the forum is not complete but to correct your presented list is already very well.
We could add if possible:

- 75mm 40M with hungarian flag
- Zrinyi II with skirts
- ships
- Panzer IV Ausf F (F1 & F2 model 3D)
- Rail bridge repaired with "destroyed" symbol
- errors in text "Spezialized"
- airtransport available in airport
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,
ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Ronald,
Thanks for the continued support for this excellent game. You give this game better support than a lot of titles in the New Releases part of the forum. IMO Matrix should move this game back up there to give it better exposure,

thanks for your kind words. Many things were tried by us in the past, but it seems commitment is not the key in the issue you mention.

We will still lookout for Germany at War.
ORIGINAL: terminator

The list of the problems found in the forum is not complete but to correct your presented list is already very well.

Done. Thanks for your help in this. I try to implement as many suggestion as possible´and of course fix everything that is wrong or a bug.

Did i mention that the Allies of Germany will also receive much needed euqipment in 1.08 ?

Have a nice weekend [:)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the list and support as always
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Ronald,
ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

Did i mention that the Allies of Germany will also receive much needed euqipment in 1.08 ?

No, you didn't !

A little more information about the new equipment in 1.08 ?
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I have to start playing this game again.b. I keep playing Panzer Corps and I bought this originally but never got into it, just bad timing.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi terminator,
ORIGINAL: terminator
A little more information about the new equipment in 1.08 ?

The Italians need better air and ground units for the upcoming Soviet offences on the Eastern Front.

The Finns should get tools in case they find themselves in a Winter War...

These are the major concerns and there will be more which will be revealed in detail when the time has come.

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

The Italian expeditionary corps could be available already in 1941. Their air force could play some role and I would look at the Italian infantry too. If Romanians can take Hincesti with all those Soviet bunkers around it, then Italians should also be able to crash some Soviet divisions.

The Finns will also be needed for the Continuation War.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi Marechal,

with the new equipment of 1.08 the CSIR will hopefully be ready for some battles under the 11. Army so we can send them into the fray.

The list was amended by the latest issues/wishes.

Regards,
Gloo

Post by Gloo »

As always it seems I'm a bit late for the show but I hope I'm not too late ! I delved again into this real gem recently and still think that's one of the best war-games I've played in the recent years ! I still have great pleasure with it so I came lurking around to see what's possibly been cooking recently. Then I stumbled upon this thread... and something immediately came to my mind as it's been one of my first gripes with the game since I first played it : The infamous Options interface buttons ! That's not a big problem to deal with for a developer but a real problem for me as an aging player ! I'm simply unable to tell when an option button is pressed or depressed and I often need to actually play a map to tell if the FoG or the Weather options are on or off. That's more of a concern when it comes to the Supply rules. So pleaaaaase, get rid of those microscopic dots and replace it with say a simple check box ?
{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Gloo,
Indeed, you seem late. Unfortunately, it seems that this game is not anymore a priority at the moment. The best way of keeping this game alive is to continue to discuss in this forum.
About "The infamous Options interface buttons": for me it is not a problem, but yes buttons could be a little more bigger.
There are other priorities for the playability which are by important orders:
- movement penalties for tanks and SP guns in snow :
Zithomir and Charkow 1943 unplayable tm.asp?m=4140530
I tried to make scenario in winter, I had to stop [:(]
- upgrades should be reworked tm.asp?m=4150001
- The statistics of the units (Construction and Combat Engineers tm.asp?m=4141550 ...)
The new units are secondary and should not make waste time. Furthermore who says new units says necessarily new bugs.
At first correct the existing bugs, please.

Germany at War is a good wargame but it could be much better !
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

If you want to make a winter scenario the attacks will have the speed of a walking man. I agree with people from Russian forums who say that bad weather can slow down an attack but only enemy defense lines can stop it. If the Germans want to take Moscow in 1941 they can still make it. If you make scenarios for Soviets they can use cavalry units to exploit success after breaking through the front line.

If you make a winter scenario for any side, German or Soviet, I could help with testing.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
If you want to test a winter scenario with cavalry units , I have something for you.
It is Operation Uranus. It should have been the continuation of Kalinin Offensive in the Great patriotic war campaign.
You will see that the T-60 tanks have of great difficulties to move with movement penalties (-3). Fortunately that there is a road nearby.
But I think that the real problem is the behavior of the German tanks. With movement penalties, German Tanks do not react as they should. I tried to move closer them to Russian troops...
It is a beta version. If you want to make modifications, free to you.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ifwegv2n6 ... Uranus.zip
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Good game
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

If German tanks have movement penalties so do Soviets. The German forces in this game can go from Mozhaisk to Moscow because the distance is not too long and the movement will be slow anyway because the Soviet defenses around Moscow and in the city are strong, but the Soviets have learned nothing from earlier battles and in the Moscow scenario they have made a mistake that lead to their defeat (the official AARs for the 1941 campaign and your Odessa scenario will be released when version 1.08 is available).

Tanks in this game as well as in reality are for exploiting the success; not for breakthrough - after the front line is broken they rush into the enemy territory and take the most important cities. They also need mechanized infantry so I disband one of the mechanized brigades and upgrade the other one to division, which stands for a battlegroup of two mechanized brigades fighting together. Germans with their one cavalry division can only make slow attacks in winter or go to defensive. The Soviets are in a better situation because they have many cavalry units that can exploit success. I will see what the Germans can do against the Soviet AI in this scenario. This does not happen in my 1941 campaign because the Soviet front collapses again after the fall of Moscow but I will test the winter fight for curiosity - and we will go to Norway sooner or later which is also a winter scenario.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
We can keep speaking about this subject(movement penalties in snow) here :
tm.asp?m=4247483
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Marechal

Hi terminator,

If you want to make a winter scenario the attacks will have the speed of a walking man. I agree with people from Russian forums who say that bad weather can slow down an attack but only enemy defense lines can stop it. If the Germans want to take Moscow in 1941 they can still make it. If you make scenarios for Soviets they can use cavalry units to exploit success after breaking through the front line.

If you make a winter scenario for any side, German or Soviet, I could help with testing.

Hi Marechal,
Here is a sceenshot of the next scenario. I think that you should be satisfied (?)

Attachments
Saturne2k0000.jpg
Saturne2k0000.jpg (301.44 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

so i added a list of new scenarios that will come along with 1.08. If you think i forgot a good one, let me know.

The fixing list is of course still in progress as some topics have not yet been adressed.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

update 1.08 will also add some new GUI features. On the image you see a new marker (check in a green circle) to indicate which units were either taken out of the <tab> rotation or have used up all action points.

Attachments
MarkerIgnored.jpg
MarkerIgnored.jpg (719.04 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”