Distant Worlds 2 News?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Veloxi

RE: Distant Worlds 2 News?

Post by Veloxi »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There are indeed many, many games that have a larger development team than we do. However, it's probably more fair to compare this to the development of DW1 + all the time that went into the development of the expansions. By that measure, we are way ahead of schedule. [;)]

With that said, I know you are all impatient for news and an eventual release. I can only say that we will release it when it's ready, but I hope we will have a lot of news for you well before another year has passed.

Regards,

- Erik
EEEEEEE OMG ERIK THANK YOU I NEED MORE OMG.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

I just hope the sequel is more of the same and improved on. Nothing revolutionary but evolutionary.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

For me two things stand out as the ones that should be addressed for DW2:

- aforementioned Modding improvement to allow the players to virtually change everything, barring the core game machanics

- UI overhaul - this is the most confusing thing in the game for new players I guess
--- the required information should be easier to access
--- handling ships/fleets etc. should be combined into a single window
--- checking for resource locations should be more easier - perhaps have it as a permanent select/search bar, where you could select what you search for (be it a ship, fleet, planet, race, resource, location...) and the UI would either zoom you out enough (if nothing of that sort can be shown where you are), or show arrows around the edge of the screen to the found points of interest
--- I very much like how the latest Paradox games use the small icons staying on the upper left side (usually), showing you unresolved questions/decisions; the current windows in DW popping in from the right are too big I think
Joe
randommonicle

Post by randommonicle »

Posting in here just so i can follow the thread. Is there a distant worlds specific mailing list we could sign up to so we know when more info is out?

Cant wait for this. Stellaris is good, but it lacks the same living universe DW had.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

No mailing list. Just stay tuned and monitor the forum....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Sure hope you guys add more techs in part two, even add some cool 3d graphic animations about that techs would be interesting too. When I played Polaris Sector, those tech and details about it is what got my attention. Remind me of Master of Orion II.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

It's almost 2017 without any word or announcement. I think a late 2017 release is unlikely. More like 2018 unless most of it is done and news is being withheld. My opinion only.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

If we form a mob and "rabble rabble!" a lot, do you think we can get another teasing comment from someone related to the project? [:D]
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Good luck, but I'll still join the rabble.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Not that I want to pressure them but that would be cool.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

I'm not pressuring. I'm expressing my interest, my enthusiasm, my support, and my anticipation!! [:D]
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

To quote a favorite movie of mine...

Captain Aubrey "Killick? Killick old man!?"

Killick "And it will be ready when it is ready!!"
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
nomaddelta

Post by nomaddelta »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

To quote a favorite movie of mine...

Captain Aubrey "Killick? Killick old man!?"

Killick "And it will be ready when it is ready!!"

"Which it is Soused Hog's Face!"

ah, good times.

Seriously though, I'm just happy to know they're working on DW2, and I'll be super excited about it whenever it happens. I found DW:U after trying Stellaris and being kinda disappointed so I went looking for something better and landed here. All I can say is that I hope while working on DW2 they don't try to completely reinvent it and keep all of the deep strategy / simulation that makes it great. Particularly the private sector freighter and mining ships flying around driving the economy. Also I hope we don't lose the ability to smoothly zoom all the way from galaxy view to solar system view with a transition because that's something I sorely missed in Stellaris.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Yeah I'm just having fun with this thread, as an outlet for my enthusiasm for the original game and the excitement for its sequel.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Nobody987

Post by Nobody987 »

Tortuga, you have my "rabble rabble"!

On more serious note, some teaser would be really nice for holidays.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Just a fraction of a screenshot, or a hint of a new feature, would be a wonderful Christmas present! [:)]
gazdadude

Post by gazdadude »

really looking forward to this loving the origional :)
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Ill just chime in and say I am also looking forward to DW2. Today I did a silly thing. I installed DW, +shak+Legends+Shadowws and then realized that I also have Universe and did not need to install those other 4. Alas it was fun.
I love the mechanics of DW, Eric and hope you focus on a robust engine and chose gameplay/mechanics OVER flashy 3d graphics. DW proves you can have a GREAT, ENGAGING, AWESOME game and it does not have to have eye candy.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Ill just chime in and say I am also looking forward to DW2. Today I did a silly thing. I installed DW, +shak+Legends+Shadowws and then realized that I also have Universe and did not need to install those other 4. Alas it was fun.
I love the mechanics of DW, Eric and hope you focus on a robust engine and chose gameplay/mechanics OVER flashy 3d graphics. DW proves you can have a GREAT, ENGAGING, AWESOME game and it does not have to have eye candy.

I dunno. It looks pretty good to me [;)] But I agree with your sentiments.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

bump, just getting rid of the spam page, so bumping this one[8|][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”