Longevity

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
Cataphract88

Longevity

Post by Cataphract88 »

What is the future of this game? Will it be supported, updated and developed further?
Richard
Cataphract88

RE: Longevity

Post by Cataphract88 »

Is anyone even reading these?
Richard
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

all posts get read
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Well you can see similar posts made 4 months ago (mine):

tm.asp?m=4099563

and 2 months ago (Kirk23):

tm.asp?m=4138493

There was effectively no response to either. Soooo, you can draw your own conclusions. :)

HOPEFULLY someone will take the time to stop by and provide some sort of update but honestly, this game has dropped pretty far off my radar at this point. There just isn't enough there to want to boot it up and try again (ie, there is an easy 'best' strategy that pretty much renders about 50% of the game irrelevant IMO).
Sheist

Post by Sheist »

I disagree. I have found myself rapt hours on end playing this game.

Just recently, I deftly used 2 Storm cards, one to break out of Brittany and combine the fleets there, then a 2nd to enter the Channel and force the navy there to retreat, all the while collecting prizes. Lucky rolls of the fleet "battle dice" were also a welcome surprise. Finally, I was able to send over about 17 troops to England, only the 2nd time I have done this. Further, the game did NOT end, as I was expecting it to. I was still at war with Ottoman, but I found the game stay alive many years for me to fell Spain, to prostrate Prussia, invade and conquer Russia, and of course, whack-a-mole to Austria, all without the nuisance of Britain's political points! The game ended after I knocked off Russia, but it was quite late in the game as I was sure the game would end when I did that. The first time I took out Britain, the game ended the next turn! (that was disappointing...)

I find the game enthralling and quite opportunistic with many surprises. It has a pleasantly-odd period feeling, and keeps me busy as much or more than Civilization V. My hearty hats-off to the developers for this gem of a game! I for one look forward to many add-on packs and goodies in the future for this game! I have not been this pleased since waayyy back in the year nineteen ninety-three with "High Command".
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

I agree with Sheist but understand where Uncle Joe is coming from. Like Sheist I'm still playing the game often and enjoying it. Like Uncle Joe claims there does seem to be a "easy 'best' strategy." But like Sheist I enjoy trying new strategies to see how they may work. Like Uncle Joe I wish Matrix would give the game some tinder loving care. A patch or two (improve the naval aspect, PBEM, etc.) and this solid game (agree with Sheist) could become a classic. Shoot ... the game system even has American Civil War and American Revolution possibilities.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Oh wow, I remember "High Command"! It was basically billed as REALLY Advanced Third Reich if I remember correctly. ;)

And don't get me wrong about V&G. I enjoyed it very much the first few games I played (and the first few after the 1.1 patch). But after that, not much feels different every game. Sure I CAN use a weaker strat and try and do things differently just to do, but I'd prefer if the game challenges me to change my strategy rather than relying on me to do something weaker.

I'm not talking about an AI exploit here or anything like that. Just using sound and very basic strategy within the game mechanics. This includes the battles which also became fairly rote after discovering how predictable the AI is there too.

Granted a LOT of this could be solved by adding MP capability and my understanding that that was something on the table at one point. But we really haven't seen much on this title since the 1.1 patch. The KS version of the boardgame has been updated to reflect the fact that due to game design flaws (my interpretation), they were going to move in a different direction with the mechanics rather than effectively porting over the PC game directly. But again, little or no details here since that time.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Nimrod, interestingly, the game that V&G draws its ancestry from is Napoleon in Europe which was an evolution of the Glenn Drover's Civil War game "The American Civil War". The latter game was not well received but was a lot of fun if you polished the rough edges a bit. NiE was basically the same...a brilliant but somewhat underdeveloped game system.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

I just got the game a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it.

Having always been more of a WWII gamer, the Napoleonic Wars at a strategic level is not something I know much about so this game is nearly perfect for me. I certainly have not yet found that "best" strategy and I'm betting by the time I do I will have gotten my money's worth out of the game.

I'd love to see a Frederick the Great game using this system.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Nothing from the devs! [&:]
Richard
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Did the board game version ever get released?
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Did the board game version ever get released?

Nope it has been delayed to next year.[;)]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63 ... n/comments
Make it so!
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

Hi guys,
Sorry for the long silence. Life has been busy on multiple fronts, including several gaming projects.
One of these is the boardgame, which has made great progress (finally!), and is coming along very well.
We should have some cool stuff to show for our Kickstarter backers in the next week or so.

As for the planned British expansion for V&G: Napoleon (PC), it looks like it will be delayed indefinitely in favor of a new game in the series. I had a ton of design ideas and good feedback from players for changes to the naval sub-game that can go into it, but funding for that project just wasn't forthcoming right now. Economics sometimes trump passion. That isn't to say that we won't do it, just that it is not next on the docket.
We have been hard at work on the next game in the series for a few months now, and it looks like a ton of fun. It WILL be able to be played from both sides from day one.
Our expectation is that it will be ready for announcement and Beta testing in the Spring.
GMoney
Sheist

Post by Sheist »

What kind of funding are we talking here? Just curious, but maybe not only.

Considering the mileage this game has given me, I would hate to see it abandoned. :(

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I bought this game and really enjoyed it. The game could be even better if there was continued support. Since gdrover's post indicates that it's unlikely, why would I but a new title from this team and risk the same thing? By the way an excellent game Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941, which is years older than this title, is still being supported.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I bought this game and really enjoyed it. The game could be even better if there was continued support. Since gdrover's post indicates that it's unlikely, why would I but a new title from this team and risk the same thing? By the way an excellent game Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941, which is years older than this title, is still being supported.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking!
Richard
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Before this game was released I was really looking forward to playing it,and since its release I must say I have enjoyed playing it,but the news that its unlikely to be patch any further is very disappointing to say the least,one thing I would like to do with the game is mod it,but alas I don't as yet know what software programme opens the games data file that would allow me to tweak the game.[:@]
Make it so!
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

Let me clarify:
The game will continue to have support, as in patches and improvements. (Which we have done already).
With regard to a full expansion that changes the way the game is meant to be played, we still want to do that, and very likely will. We just cannot give a date on it at this point.
GMoney
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Good to know thank you![:)]

Is there anyway to mod the game in the mean time? I would like to be able to tweak the Naval combat settings.
Make it so!
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Is there anyway to mod the game in the mean time? I would like to be able to tweak the Naval combat settings.

In short: no, there is no way to perform such a mod.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”