Game Freezing

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tverse

Game Freezing

Post by tverse »

When I open the Mission Editor and then Mission Doctrine the game freezes up if I take to long in deciding what
options I want to select. I just purchased the Game through Steam and I downloaded the newest DB from WarSims.
Any thoughts on the problem? Thanks.
AAR Carry out Operation Husky
tm.asp?m=4420472
Dimitris

RE: Game Freezing

Post by Dimitris »

Hi,

Is this happening with all scenarios or a specific one? Can you please provide the autosave file? Thanks.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi

Please make sure you've installed all the prerequisites.

Info on that here:

tm.asp?m=3913550

Thank You!

Mike
tverse

Post by tverse »

Ok I executed the first four in your list. For the first one "dotnetfx35setup.exe" I got no indication other than
"allow to make changes" the next three I got extracting files and a message "already installed..." or something like that.
The final item "and inside the directx_mar2009_redist folder DXSETUP.exe" I can't find. I have a June 2010 folder with
all sorts of folders like this "MAR2009_d3dx9_41_x64. There are quite a few or these for various month/years...
When I open them none of the Mar2009 have the exe file DXSETUP.exe.

Not being computer savy does it make a difference that I put the game on my E drive?
tm.asp?m=4420472
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi

E drive doesn't matter but please remember to point at this if you ever apply an update manually.

The DXSetup.exe file is in the folder with all the dated files.

Let us know how it goes. We want to help.

Thanks!

Mike
tverse

Post by tverse »

I found all of the files and ran them. Still had the problem. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game and went through each of the above mentioned items and made sure they were the latest including the data base. Still having the problem.

I have noticed that freezing seems to be the game windows. My mouse still moves and I can access my desktop tool bar. I just can't affect the game windows. I have manage to "kick the program back into gear" so to speak by going to my desktop briefly and then open the game window again and it is functioning. Several times when I have done this it appears that either the game kept running (i.e. action occurred in the game) or if I was trying to mouse click a choice in the mission editor the action was in affect even though nothing happened on the screen. All this has occurred in the Air tutorial scenario. I have not played any others.

So I will try other scenarios and see what happens. If it happens again what do I need to attach for review? Do I need to turn on diagnostics?

tm.asp?m=4420472
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi

Are you using anything that does overlays on top of your UI? We've had issues with Raptor and Nahamic. If this is the case please turn the overlay feature off and let us know what happens.
If your on steam and using the library try clearing your library of Command scenarios.
What kind of computer are you running? Important details are OS, Processor and vid card.

If you do experience this grab a copy of the scenario it is occurring in. It may not be the scenario itself but will at least queue us in on what might be causing this with your computer.

Oh could you tell me what version of command you are running? The number should be at the top of your command window.

Thanks!

Mike
tverse

Post by tverse »

Ok I have played several other of the tutorials and continue to get this problem. So here is additional information:
No Overlays are on that I can tell- the list is empty.
I don't use the steam library or have command scenarios from steam
tm.asp?m=4420472
tverse

Post by tverse »

My computer information is an Intel i7 6700 CPU 4.00 GHz, 64 bit operating system, windows 10,
NVDIA Geoforce GTX 980(I did update driver prior to playing).

The game version is V1.11 SR 5 Build 847.1

I do have the files from the game but I do not know how to attach them to the post so let me know how you would like them delivered.
tm.asp?m=4420472
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ok you've got 5 posts so the forum won't let you. Please email to bostonmyk @ gmail.com

Delete the spaces before and after the @.

You are up to date.

Your card seems fine although if you are running the GE Experience software make sure to turn the Nvidia Share overlay feature off.

Thanks!

Mike
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I've added tverse user to the list of trusted forum users, so he should be free of restrictions. :)

Regarding your issue, I also have a suggestion to make, try to disable all background programs in case these are interfering with the normal running of the game.
You can do this by running msconfig and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services.
Then once you have disabled all non-Microsoft services, please run the game and see if the issue persists.
If it does not, please then reopen msconfig and reenable those services, one by one, until you find the program causing the problem.

A tutorial on how to do this can be found below:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications
tverse

Post by tverse »

I did the msconfig step and disabled every thing but windows. Started playing the game and it froze up again. I tried my kick start approach of going to my desktop and then go back to the game. The game would not come back but I did get the following message:
"Steam Client Not Running
It appears you are running command in steam mode, but steam does not appear to be running. Please ensure steam client is running before starting command. The game will now exit."

Not sure if this is the issue or if it was the result of trying to go desktop and then back to the game.

I did immediately check and my steam connection was still active.

tm.asp?m=4420472
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

If you have disabled Steam services in the msconfig step then it's possible that you receive such a message.
What this tells is that probably your issue is not related with a 3rd party interference.

Have you tried without downloading the latest database? I mean just with the game downloaded by Steam?
tverse

Post by tverse »

When I initially started the game it was without the data base and I experienced the problem. Then I read the comment about before you
issue a report make sure data base is the latest.

I think I will continue to try the msconfig approach. I think the last freeze issue may have been because the Steam Client had been disabled.
tm.asp?m=4420472
tverse

Post by tverse »

Okay. I have been playing with msconfig approach (as suggested) with everything off except steam client and Trend Micro solution and I still continue to get the problem. Gets frustrating because it seems to occur when I take to long in various open windows like Mission Editor, etc.

Not sure what to try next?
tm.asp?m=4420472
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I seem to get freezes if I have other windows like Chrome browser open same time. It goes away when I click to go to browser and then go back to Command window. So, it just seem to think a while what to do...maybe my system is too weak. [8D] Laptop with i3 and 8 Gb of memory is not the best, but it does it's job.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

my opinion is loose trend micro's and run the standard default AV that comes from windows and retry, if it works 10X better then leave it off and settle in with the default AV, it's fine for most users and isn't a hog like trend is, also it's doesn't poke it's nose into games too often and run's in the background all the time, better to either have one that's more gamer friendly or add the game exe and game folder plus all it's files to the safe list in trend if you wish to keep it

https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/h ... 58376.aspx

Kaspersky is a good AV, ESET is another one, windows defender is the default one that comes with windows 10, and for most home users with it's default firewall and AV solution, it's as good as any other free one, while some bought ones aren't worth the money with the extra problems they can cause at times...

my honest opinion mind you, not the sites

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
tverse

Post by tverse »

Thanks. I'll give the Safe List in Trend approach.
tm.asp?m=4420472
tverse

Post by tverse »

I have been playing with the "Trend Safe List approach" and I still have the freezing of the game. I have perfected the "art" of going to my desk top and then back into the game window which more often than not unfreezes the game. Not ideal but playable. I do need to make sure not to have any Mission editor window, or data base window, etc. open to long or the game will freeze. So it makes me keep moving. Again not ideal but playable.

tm.asp?m=4420472
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

There is a folder in the game directory called Logs. Is there a file 'ExceptionLog.txt' present.
If not, start the game and go to Game Options, and click on 'game debug' (towards bottom of list on first tab). Then press OK to save it. Start up a game again, and see if the file is there.
Play until it 'freezes' (and then unfreeze as you have done).

See if there is anymore info in the log. If there is, it may be beneficial to post the log.
Michael

Return to “Tech Support”