Point Nemo

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zorch

Point Nemo

Post by Zorch »

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161004 ... point-nemo

'One spot in the ocean is further from land than any other, and it is a rather peculiar place'

Where do you go to get away from it all? When the stress of everyday life pushes you to search for the most remote point on Earth, you might be surprised to learn there are actually a few to choose from. But if you have decent sea legs, nothing beats the furthest point from land, also known as the "oceanic pole of inaccessibility".

Since its official title is a bit of a mouthful, it has been nicknamed Point Nemo, after author Jules Verne's famous seafaring anti-hero Captain Nemo. The name means "no-one" in Latin which is fitting for a place so rarely visited by man.

Point Nemo is located over 1,000 miles (1,600km) equidistantly from the coasts of three far-flung islands. Ducie Island (one of the Pitcairn islands) is to the north, Motu Nui (of the Easter Island chain) is to the north-east and Maher Island (off the coast of Antarctica) is to the south.'

Attachments
nemo.jpg
nemo.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Neilster

RE: Point Nemo

Post by Neilster »

Cool. I like this sort of thing :)

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you, Zorch, for sharing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Thanks for sharing! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Zorch...that looks considerably south of the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch", which I believe is more centrally located. Am I correct?
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Zorch...that looks considerably south of the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch", which I believe is more centrally located. Am I correct?
That's in the Northern Pacific (from just north of the equator to really quite far North). This is way South.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I was unaware it existed! So I had to look:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... c&fr=yfp-t

Return to “General Discussion”