Destroy all Trucks strategy?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Elijah

Destroy all Trucks strategy?

Post by Elijah »

As a new player, I looked over all the wonderful advice and AAR material here, but wanted to 'form my own strategy' for the most part and see how well I could execute it. It was decided not to try for Moscow in '41, but to focus on Leningrad and Crimea. Leningrad was of course the right choice, I am not so sure the actual value of attacking Crimea vs using those forces driving towards the Don in retrospect. In any case the third big goal was to weaken the Red Army, but in particular focus on all Motorized and Tank units. I think I succeeded well, at one point he was under 4000 armor. Is focusing more on destroying vehicles/trucks rather than just manpower a good plan? It seems to be effective so far (tho Stavka rebuilds so fast) and I'm hopeful his early losses will make it hard to build tank corps in '42 and '43.
Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard
sillyflower

RE: Destroy all Trucks strategy?

Post by sillyflower »

Focus should be on destroying industry and manpower and causing max casualties which means isolating units and killing them next turn. Also 8% of prisoners turn into HIWIs who are very useful to have. Destroying or (better) capturing trucks is good because both sides will experience shortages but it's not a war-winning strategy on its own. The '41 russian tanks are useless apart from the T34s and KV1s but Russians will end up with a surplus of both unless you succeed in capturing those factories which is unlikely.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Yes, I figured that much just from historical knowledge, the Red army is producing tanks at 3-4x our rate it looks like. Still, I rested/biovaced in cities my armour so '42 looking strong at least in tanks.
Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Unfortunately the Crimea is of little value in WITE. There aren't even any VPs there [&:]
It's actually more of a liability than anything useful.

You can target armor, but you can only take what the Soviet player gives you. It's a waste of valuable time chasing around the map after elusive tank divisions.

Return to “The War Room”