New Scenario/New Designer

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

New Scenario/New Designer

Post by kevinkins »

I would like to have a more experienced player take a look at my mission. It is rather small but should contain all the elements needed for a “complete” scenario. Play it or just kick its tires in editor if you like. If I am making progress along the design learning curve, more complex scenarios are in the works. Best to take stock now and get some good advice. My email is provided in the main briefing to avoid spoilers here. Many thanks. Here is what you are looking at:

Scenario: "Save the Day"
Date: September 11th, 2017
Playable Sides: United States Navy
Description:
11 September 2017. The Islamic terrorist group ISIS has splintered under military and economic pressure into several factions. While newer members are hiding in what remains of northern Syria, a militant group calling themselves "Allah's Fire" has caused world concern since the beginning of the summer. Intel reports and never ending "chatter" have indicated no particular concern this morning until stuff hit the fan a 0630. Reports hint at a major operation centered on the area around the Suez Canal and Israel.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
lamboman43

RE: New Scenario/New Designer

Post by lamboman43 »

Just started up and god mode is enabled by default. Not exactly a major issue but unless you intended to do that you may want to change it since it kind of gives away the positions of ships right off the bat. I figured it is ok to post about this issue here since it isn't really a spoiler. (If you think it is I'll delete it) Also, I'm definitely not that experienced so I'll probably hold off on any other feedback related to mission design because I suck at that kind of stuff.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Oh boy here is a fix. My last test was left in place. You really did not spoil the battle so carry on with the new one posted here. Good catch. Any additional feedback would be great. Don't be bashful. Send me an email with other observations.

Thanks.
Attachments
SavetheDayB1Fix.zip
(141.56 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Some thoughts:
-Seems like Tanker 13 is too far away for the seal loaded helos to reach and they have no refueling capability. Of course I might be missing something.

-Have Tanker #13 moving on a course instead of stopped. The trigger reference points could be set as rotating/moving with the tanker.

-Have opening remarks trigger with scenario load instead of time a specified time.

-Not sure if you want an ROE of "Free" as the default. Seems like "Tight" might be better.
-Even when I move Tanker #13 closer to the helos I was never able to get stuff done before NAS Sigonella was killed by the sub.

I may very well be missing something obvious but these items struck me as possibly being a problem.

Hope this provides some food for thought.

-Wayne Stiles

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Wayne - all good points. Thanks a lot.

One seal team chopper can make it if one helo on the cruiser heads back to the carrier. Too gamey and I can reconfigure that.
I will have tanker 13 move with the reference points. Very cool. I don't understand point 3. OK on point 4. Point 5 means the timing is overall too tight for a player the first time through. Will fix that. Time and distance can be adjusted. Did the briefings give the player everything needed to succeed in the scenario? Was the premise to hokey?
Alfred Thayer Mahan
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Warning - some spoilers below.

My error. I launched a Hawkeye from carrier and sent DDG-67 towards the east at flank speed. The carrier works also but decided to send the DDG since it was a bit closer. Then I sent the helo on DDG-67 to the carrier so there would be room for the Incirlik helo. Once Tanker13 was located I sent an Incirlik helo to intercept. I worked fine.

Item three was just a suggestion. The scenario was set to display the opening message at a time earlier than the game start. The same thing is accomplished by using "scenario load" as the trigger rather than a specified time. I've found that times can sometimes get screwed up but load is an unambiguous event. Both ways will work.

The scenario description and side briefings seem fine. I think this is a decent scenario. Please keep up the good work for future ones.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks again Wayne. I will incorporate those items and post it over at the "finish" scenario thread. Your help was encouraging.
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”