Another Pilot Training Question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zoetermeer

Another Pilot Training Question

Post by Zoetermeer »

I'm a newbie, but I've read the pilot training guides listed in the newbie FAQ and also tried the manual (although the latter seems particularly cryptic).

I'm having trouble understanding what people do initially to set up training pipelines. How these pipelines look after some initial setup is pretty clear in the guides/focused threads I've read through; however, how do I get there? For example, as the Allies I see that I have over 6000 pilots "in the pool" according to the "pilot replacements" screen. Does that mean I have 6000 pilots just sitting around, that I would want to otherwise assign to training squadrons?

I'm also unsure where people like to place these "training squadrons" and how many is a good number to have. Are you able to arbitrarily create new ones? It seems like the answer is no, which I guess makes the answer a bit easier. Right now I've set all the stateside squadrons to full training, but I'm still uncertain if that's adequate.

Apologies for all the dumb questions!
BBfanboy

RE: Another Pilot Training Question

Post by BBfanboy »

I am not sure if that replacement pool includes pilots on map or not. Certainly the ones that have not finished basic pilot training (that gets them to about 20-30 level in Air Skill) are in that pool being trained. I think it takes six months to finish pilot training but that can accelerate if the pools are dry i.e. you get pilots but they are less trained. Not sure about this part but never had to worry about it.

Once the pilots come out of initial training they are ready for operational training for the type of mission you expect them to fly. It would be foolish to put them near the front at this time so you get a squadron in a safe rear area and set it to train the skill you want - 0 range, 100% train, lowest altitude for that skill (to gain Defensive Skill at the same time).

Train them at least into the 50s in that skill but up to the 70s if you can. Demand for pilots will dictate what you do.

When a good part of the squadron is trained to the level you want you can decide whether to move the whole thing to the front, or send some the best pilots to the General Reserve (for other squadrons to draw on).

Except to say that only pilots with 80+ Experience are eligible, I will not talk about TRACOM. There are entire threads on this topic with some advocating for using it and others advocating for using the best pilots at the front.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

RE: Another Pilot Training Question

Post by Alfred »

1.  The trainees undergoing their 12 month training program are not in either the pilot replacement pool or the pilot general reserve pool.  The trainees only go into the pilot replacement pool when they graduate from the 12 month training program.

2.  Pilots in the pilot replacement pool are available to be sent to air units.

3.  There is no capability to create new air units.  Some air units can be split but the total size of the air force remains constant. 

4.  Some air units can be resized up or down.  This can be a straight out gamey tactic which defeats the dev purpose in designing the OOB and production.  Not that those who so benefit will accept it for what it is believing they are entitled to do whatever it takes to win.

Alfred

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”