TriumphReich

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

LJBurstyn

TriumphReich

Post by LJBurstyn »

Time to start the AAR. It took more than 5 hours to do the Soviet turn. Of course, more than 3 hours was spent setting up the TOE's and finding the units that they apply to...could not find NATO icons for some of the units so had to improvise. And I did not finish setting up the TOE's because my one good eye started to hurt.
cpdeyoung

RE: TriumphReich

Post by cpdeyoung »

Looking forward to this AAR. So much work went into the Mod, and I am excited to see it put through its paces.

Chuck
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yeah, when I play, I honestly do without the TO&E, even if it is enabled. I am sure there are advantages to having it, just alot of work when starting up. I typically do 7-9 hours worth of turn when I do the Axis...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Germany turn.2 is now in Dropbox. Spent many hours playing Britain, US & commonwealth and still never completed to my satisfaction but
in the interest of getting files completed before too many days went by, I set myself a certain amount of time to play each and then got them out.....lol
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

In saying that it took me 5 hours to do my turn I forgot that I had saved the game earlier after several hours almost all of it setting up the TOE's. My second turn was much shorter but still a long time playing just one nation. I am glad we set up this game so we could save it...otherwise I could not continue it because of my eye problems.
icym

Post by icym »

It is good to hear you are all willing to continue despite the quite high workload (it does become a little easier with familiarity).

The size of the scenario probably stems from my preference for monster board wargames which I played face-to-face for over 20 years.

One of my current Triumph games has been put on hold due to a player being unwell. If anyone finds the time demands becoming too onerous, as a last resort I would be willing to step in and play a couple of the smaller Regimes to help ease the workload.

RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Playing the German turn now. I take some screenshots that I want to use for a report from the front. But it might take some days til I have time to write an AAR.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Guys...apologies about the turn delay. Germany T.5 is in Dropbox now.
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Hi guys.....Did u manage to actually change the password for Spain? I wont open for me now anyway.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I got the message that the password for Spain was changed when I opened my turn.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Looking forward to this AAR too. good luck gentlemen!
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Thanks, Vic. Have saved some screenshots but have not yet had time to write anything.

@Larry:
Falco and I were talking about Spain being played by Axis player. Beside this making sense in historical context it was my idea to take some work from Falco who has a lot of nations to play.
I would prefer to keep Spain neutral. Axis wont attack Spain and as long as Western Allies dont DoW on Spain it wont join or support Axis in any way. I would set all production on defensive weapons, supply and PP, spending this on upgrades of defensive weapons only. All units would stay in Spain. No air or naval units would provide any recon for Aixs, as staying in ports or airports.
Is that ok for you?
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I have no objections to Axis controlling Spain as long as the conditions you stated were enforceable?
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Ok with me for Axis to play Spain. Makes sense. However how does that fact that historically Spanish troops fought for Germany in Russia square with
the notion that Spain should stay strictly neutral in this game?
icym

Post by icym »

As mentioned in a recent post in the Mods and Scenarios sub-forum, Triumph is not intended to be the last word in history accuracy. Any house rule players agree to implement is perfectly reasonable and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In time, an option to activate Spain diplomatically might make it into the game but until then the suggestion to keep Spain neutral seems perfectly reasonable.

As falco mentions, Spain did have volunteers fighting for Germany in Russia. This is not entirely ignored, Germany begins the game with units belonging to the "Blue Division" already on the map. These units are German-controlled but are populated by Axis Minor people. As the game stands at present, it just means the Blue Division won't receive any Spanish reinforcements.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Ah, but if you like me, transfer control of the Blue Division to the Axis Minors, then you can restock it with everything it needs :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Time to report from Axis side:

The AAR will first focus on war in the east as there is far more action than in the west.

During the first turns only Germany is at war with Sovjet Union and the Western Allies. Axis minors, SS, Finland and Italy stay out of war with SU.

The main strategy consists of two of strikes parts: destroy and encircle. Destroy mainly targets the enemy HQs and air force.

At Riga a small German units holds the city. Divisions of Army Group North shall achieve a breakthrough through enemy lines and establish a connection to Riga.

Attachments
Riga-turn2.jpg
Riga-turn2.jpg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 382 times
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Combined attacks of divisions under command of Kuechler, Hoepner and Busch succeed in the task to secure the Riga area. They attack the Sovjet 34th army under command of Gen.-Maj. Kachanov (HQ position is southwest of Riga). Following the tactical order „Destroy“ the Sovjet HQ is attacked and elinimated, some divisions of 34th army are cut off, while others are in danger of being encircled and finally eliminated.

The Sovjet air base at the right flank of the advancing German forces has successfully been attacked. The SU air group is destroyed.

Attachments
Riga-turn2a.jpg
Riga-turn2a.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 382 times
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Tactical order "Encircle" is meant to break through enemy lines everywhere at plain terrain, advance quickly mainly with mechanised infantry and tanks and cut off frontline forces of the enemy. Later slow moving infantry shall eliminate the Sovjets after they have run out of supply.

Turn 2:
At Lvov, south of the Pripjat marshes, German forces try to encircle a large group of Sovjet units.

Attachments
Lvov-Jun41-a.jpg
Lvov-Jun41-a.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 382 times
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

The northern bow of the circle towards Lvov is drawn by forces of Guderian and Reichenau, attacking along the railway line south of the Pripjet swamps. Sovjet 40th army under command of Podlas is defending here.
Attachments
Lvov-turn2a.jpg
Lvov-turn2a.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Return to “After Action Reports”