Need a tweak in my command switches.

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

Need a tweak in my command switches.

Post by crsutton »

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -w deepColor -fixedart -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

Above are the command switches that I am currently using.

Had to get a new computer and in setting up AE for Win 10 I am just a little off with my switches. The game works and scrolls fine. Color and graphics look great but two issues. When I run the combat replay the combat animation box flutters and there is a little flutter in the map when it auto scrolls to the next action location.

In addition. Although I have it set to W mode the very bottom of the screen is not showing and I can't adjust. That is, I am not seeing the last bar that shows my factories when I click on a base.

Any suggestions to get up to 100%?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Oberst_Klink

RE: Need a tweak in my command switches.

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Check out this thread; that should do the trick.

tm.asp?m=4122075&mpage=1&key=&#4149618

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Thanks, that thread is how I have gotten this far.[;)] However, there are multiple recommendations there and I have swapped out one or two with no results. Looking for a specific suggestion.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

i'm not 100% sure, but the command switches may be case sensitive.
- better change -fixedart to -fixedArt

- the 'flutter' when jumping to next action location is something i could never fix on my side either...

- for your resolution problem, please try -pxf1920 -pyf1080. the 'f' should force the value for your desired resolution.

info taken from here.
The switches are case sensitive and spelling sensitive - e.g. Color vs Colour.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I have two shortcuts. One is for full screen, the other is for windowed mode. I use full screen for the turn resolution/combat replay, and I use windowed mode for giving orders. Why the difference? Because in windowed mode requires more graphics horsepower to do the combat replay and I get the jumping/fluttering that you mentioned. So I use full screen mode for the combat replay.

And windowed mode is much better for giving orders because it is very quick and easy to jump back and forth between application - the game, Tracker, a text editor (for viewing the turn's reports plus writing an AAR post), Intel Monkey, spreadsheets, etc.

Basically, it might be the case that your PC/laptop does not have enough graphics horsepower to run the combat replay in windowed mode without you seeing it jumping/fluttering, which is just the graphics taking long enough to paint the screen that you see it happening.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Well it is a new machine and a bit more powerful than the older machine which ran the replay just fine. But i have to check on the graphics card.

Chem kid did help solve my screen size issue. So the only remaining problem is the screen and combat animation flutter. I hope to work it out without having to resort to your mixed option. Actually, I will try to go to all full screen and see if that works first. I did correct the small a to capital A in fixedArt, but that did not seem to have any effect.

I seem to recall that when I tried full screen last all I got was a small box in the middle of my monitor.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I use the following. It plays in a window one size smaller than the natural windows size of 1920x1080. I found using 1920x1080 setting with or without -px-py resulted in strange picture problems.

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w"
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Just a note, there shouldn't be a quote on the end, after the -w.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
littleike

Post by littleike »

It's a long time I have seen people going wrong with the game switches due to the difficult to know how many they are, how they act and how to write them exactly so I have a suggestion for the developers.

Could it be possible to add a [switches] section to the witp.ini file so that the program could use it and not read the switches from the shortcut properties of the desktop icon? Starting from a witpAE "sample.ini" file where all switches could be present with the description of their proper use and the correct spelling, activating them would mean simply removing the first character of the interested lines and modifying only the attributes if requested. Renaming sample.ini to witp.ini could end the job.

Advantages:

1- less errors.
2- The autostart could be used again with all his links.
3- Patches and updates untouching the witp.ini file avoided the need to retype something again.

(For these who don't know about witp.ini I remember what Michaelm wrote some time ago.)

------------------------------

There is an undocumented feature that I added to make it easier on players with multiple PBEM games.
This saves having to have multiple installs on your PC, using up tons of space.
It allows you to define a different set of directories to be used in a game.

Create a file called witp.ini in the install directory (eg c:\Matrix Games\War In The Pacific Admiral's Edition)

Within this file, you can define where the art, save and scen directories are found.
The actual directories in use are shown on various screens in WITPAE.

Use this to create a different save are for each of your PBEM games, and adjust the INI file to match before starting the game.

Sample file (attached also)

; All locations are from the WITP-AE install directory
; This file does not need to be present, but if present, is used to override the standard directory pointers
; Remove the leading ; from the line you want to use.

; Overriding location of save games. This is handy for multiple PBEM games where a separate directory can be set up for each game.

[Save]
Dir=save\joes

; Overriding location of scenario files. This is handy for modders when building games

[Scen]
;Dir=scen\test

; Overriding location of art directory. This is handy to test new art or to keep separate art folders

;[Art]
;Dir=copy of art

-------------------------------------------------------
Three jet pilot useless things: Sky above you, airstrip behind you and half second ago.

Return to “Tech Support”