Patton Seamount Emergency, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Patton Seamount Emergency, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

My newest beta...

A few years in the future, fishing conflicts are becoming more common. In response to Russian fishing boats coming into conflict with American ones in the Gulf of Alaska, an American destroyer is sent to the region. Will it be a routine patrol...or something else?

As always, please let me know what you think. Any suggestions on how to make this a better, more challenging, more realistic scenario are welcome. Thanks!

[version 3 uploaded 8:55 PM 10/11/16]

Attachments
Patton Sea..cy, 2020.zip
(127 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
ultradave

RE: Patton Seamount Emergency, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post by ultradave »

so far so good. Played about 6 hours so far, patrolling, waiting..... I'll fire it up again a little later today. I like the description and the manageable size.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I finished this. Or rather I was finished off. So my score was DISASTER. I don't want to post spoilers. I liked this for being able to concentrate on the actions of a few units. The CAP under my control got caught in bad timing - rearming when they might have proved useful. Of course, you don't know the timing.

I'll try it again. Now that I know what to expect (sort of), I can play it with the idea of more carefully evaluating it.
----------------
Dave A.
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Ended up with a minor victory, fishing boats turned hostile when one of them loosed a SAM at my helo, sank four or five of them without interference from the Russian FFG.

Cheers.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I had worse luck. Russian trawlers machine gunned US trawler outside of my patrol area (to the west). Went after the trawlers with my destroyer, and the destroyer was finally sunk by an ASM after swatting away about 20 of them. One got through. Boom!

That's good though. Sounds like varied outcomes can be obtained.
----------------
Dave A.
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Ouch! Might run it again and see what happens this time.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Just a reminder...with this one, you get more points for boarding the Russian fishing boats (AND American ones that misbehave) than you do for sinking them. (This is assuming all the Events work properly...please let me know if there are any errors, etc.)

Anything else I can do to make this better? Thanks.

ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I'll let you know. I was sunk by an ASM barrage while I was "boarding" one of the Russian trawlers. :-(
----------------
Dave A.
lamboman43

Post by lamboman43 »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Just a reminder...with this one, you get more points for boarding the Russian fishing boats (AND American ones that misbehave) than you do for sinking them. (This is assuming all the Events work properly...please let me know if there are any errors, etc.)

Anything else I can do to make this better? Thanks.

I tried boarding a Russian trawler in the zone but it immediately started (hopelessly) shooting at me with their 50 cals (or 14mm guns, can't remember). The ASM barrage also started right after that as well. Probably because I returned fire. Not sure if it is intended behavior or not. I'll try again and see if they immediately engage again.
lamboman43

Post by lamboman43 »

Ok, I quickly played through again and this time I was able to board the Zalesky and Anna without any problems. A little issue I noticed is that the boarding message tells me to send them to Kodiak base but I can't as it doesn't have any ports or docks. Even just trying to F3 them there was impossible because their route kept defaulting back to their Russian port (this might just be a technical issue). Maybe that message was just for the "story's" sake and I didn't have to actually send them to CGAS Kodiak, I don't know.

Anyways, I enjoyed this scenario! I tend to like the smaller scenarios more because they aren't as daunting and it feels achievable to me. I struggle with the bigger ones because there is so much going on and my dumb brain struggles with that.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: lamboman43

Ok, I quickly played through again and this time I was able to board the Zalesky and Anna without any problems. A little issue I noticed is that the boarding message tells me to send them to Kodiak base but I can't as it doesn't have any ports or docks. Even just trying to F3 them there was impossible because their route kept defaulting back to their Russian port (this might just be a technical issue). Maybe that message was just for the "story's" sake and I didn't have to actually send them to CGAS Kodiak, I don't know.

Anyways, I enjoyed this scenario! I tend to like the smaller scenarios more because they aren't as daunting and it feels achievable to me. I struggle with the bigger ones because there is so much going on and my dumb brain struggles with that.

Good point. I'll add a dock, although it's not really necessary to get them there; it's just letting you know you now control the ship and can move it out of the patrol area.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I will be uploading version 2 in the next day or so. Are there any other tweaks, changes, fixes, improvements, etc. that anyone thinks should be added?

Thanks.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

As promised, version 2 is uploaded. No huge changes but I made a few tweaks that I hope will make it a little more interesting. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Well, got Disaster -180. Problem is that when trying to board one of the trawlers, it opens fire. Then when returning fire, immediate ASM swarm starts.With only 24 ESSMs, pretty desperate situation, got hit to VLS launcher too. I must say I didn't like the navigational micromanagement time needed to keep DDG within 100m of trawlers either. Boarded one, sunk 2, got damaged seriously by ASM swarm.

Not my idea of very fun scenario, since there seem to have either very little to do or auto-defeat... I'll give it one more try though.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

OK. got Minor Victory 100 pts. Managed to board 3 trawlers. Event for boarding Albina never fired even when I stayed next to it, definitely within 100m, for almost an hour. Not very eventful game.

I find staying within 100m of trawlers very tedious. Navigation in Command is not really up to speed with that sort of accuracy.Maybe distance should be larger.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

OK. got Minor Victory 100 pts. Managed to board 3 trawlers. Event for boarding Albina never fired even when I stayed next to it, definitely within 100m, for almost an hour. Not very eventful game.

I find staying within 100m of trawlers very tedious. Navigation in Command is not really up to speed with that sort of accuracy.Maybe distance should be larger.

Version 3 just uploaded. Fixed the bug with the Albina boarding--it was just a typo, I had accidentally added something to the hours block as well as the minutes block for time required. In fact, the time required should be 20 minutes for all of the ships that might be boarded. I also tweaked the zones so it should be easier to stay in them and it is also possible to board the Russian fishing boats without starting a war, although it is tricky--don't get TOO close.

Please let me know what you think. Is there anything else I should do with this scenario or is it ready for the community scenario pack? Thanks.

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

This version looks good, Major Victory, 125 pts. Way less navigational frustration and good fun.

I managed to board 2 trawlers and send them to Kodiak (just changed their home-port to that and RTB'd them). Third turned hostile, DDG took some light damage, so took it bit further and used Hellfires to take out the trawler. Then used Tomahawks to take out 2 more.

Just for heck of it, used 2 remaining Tomahawks to hit Russian DDG whose position was reported by Raptors. Managed to surprise and sunk it. To add insult to injury, Raptors shoot down the remaining Russian ASW helo. [:D]

Suggestions and observations:

- special message for Raptors shooting down helo came out blank in pop up but did show in transparent message field. Go figure.
- might be a good idea to tell players how close they have to be to trawlers to board.
- is there extra points for getting captured trawlers out of area? I didn't see anything fire up nor in scoring log. I got 2 trawlers quite a way from area towards Kodiak.

Good funny little scenario and it is IMHO ready to publish.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Anyone have any other suggestions, etc.? Or is this ready for the Community Scenario Package? Thanks.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I think go for it. Good small scenario. Plays differently depending on what you do (even after you sort of know what's going on).
----------------
Dave A.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”