City Refinery Attack and zero hits ??

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dave sindel

RE: City Refinery Attack and zero hits ??

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

And, bomb oil not refineries. Japan actually runs a surplus in refineries, not a bad target to hit but oil is better.

We have an HR to not bomb oil until 1-1-43. Well, the calendar just flipped and I turned the bombers loose on Magwe's oil this turn.. [:)]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I haven't had much experience here as I've only played Japan as yet, but it seems to me that bombing manpower takes care of everything in the hex. No? I did it one game to Calcutta just to see what would happen. Everything was reduced when I checked, and believe me I didn't bomb much, only when my guys were just being cake eaters with nothing else to do would I send some to night bomb the place.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

And, bomb oil not refineries. Japan actually runs a surplus in refineries, not a bad target to hit but oil is better.

We have an HR to not bomb oil until 1-1-43. Well, the calendar just flipped and I turned the bombers loose on Magwe's oil this turn.. [:)]

Actually, don't like this HR. I allows the Japanese player to leave his oil protection centers unprotected and move all of his fighters to the front lines. Really gives him a boost when he least needs it. A carrier raid on an oil production facility early in the game will serve to keep your opponent honest-even if you avoid bombing oil out of principal.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

Actually, don't like this HR. I allows the Japanese player to leave his oil protection centers unprotected and move all of his fighters to the front lines. Really gives him a boost when he least needs it. A carrier raid on an oil production facility early in the game will serve to keep your opponent honest-even if you avoid bombing oil out of principal.

This is my first PBEM game, and also my first campaign game. I had minimal experience with AE when I agreed to some of the HR that my opponent proposed. I won't do this again if I do another PBEM. I realize now that I took away some options for the Allies that I shouldnt have.
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

Resurrecting this thread, with a request for some additional insights. I managed to pulverize Magwe, and then soon thereafter the base "switched sides" so now I get to repair all the damage I created. I have started using the B-24's to city attack Rangoon at night and have been focusing on "manpower" as my target. I've started some fires - but I'm wondering what damage those fires cause, and to what extent I need continue in order to create "industry destroying" fires? I looked in the manual, but couldnt find any description of fires or damage levels.

BBFanboy wrote this earlier in the thread.
[/quote]
Only fires will totally, permanently destroy industry, or the destruction caused by engineers when a base changes hands. To get damaging fires you need to bomb Manpower and there has to be enough of that to create a firestorm that lasts for days.
[/quote]

So, how much is enough ?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

A firestorm takes really massive 4E effort. You almost certainly don't have it in this era. I don't know the numbers--don't know if any player really does--but I've had 150,000 fires and didn't get one.

Manpower will do damage, but it's pretty random and you can go a long time without seeing much. It doesn't do much to LI without a lot of bombs. It can hurt factories, but those are mostly in the HI. It's fairly good on HI, but don't expect miracles. Oil, if dense, I've always had more luck targeting directly, even at night. Fires can also take down some supply. But 4E strat bombing takes a lot of effort, supply, and av support. It's not a one-hit wonder.
The Moose
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

Thanks Moose. Your assumption is correct - I've got about 8 squadrons of B-24's available for this effort. I didnt notice much oil there, wouldnt that be affected by no oil flowing from Magwe now ?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Thanks Moose. Your assumption is correct - I've got about 8 squadrons of B-24's available for this effort. I didnt notice much oil there, wouldnt that be affected by no oil flowing from Magwe now ?
Not sure what you are getting at here- Rangoon has no oil production to recon and if the enemy holds it you should not have any intel on the oil stocks.

What oil there was from Magwe can be sent to Moulmein by rail and then down the gray road to Tavoy or Mergui where it can trickle one hex through the jungle to Bangkok. Supply does this so I do not see why oil would not.

Re: the fire storms, I have achieved fires over 1 million (B-29s in the Downfall scenario) but they quickly die down to a few thousands that burn for days. This is where the industry damage seems to happen.
The alternative is to bomb each industry directly but the damage there is not permanent. It is limited to one point of repair per industry per day and uses 1000 supply for each, so later in the game it is pretty much the same as permanent damage. But early on the damage can be repaired.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Not sure what you are getting at here- Rangoon has no oil production to recon and if the enemy holds it you should not have any intel on the oil stocks.

What oil there was from Magwe can be sent to Moulmein by rail and then down the gray road to Tavoy or Mergui where it can trickle one hex through the jungle to Bangkok. Supply does this so I do not see why oil would not.

Re: the fire storms, I have achieved fires over 1 million (B-29s in the Downfall scenario) but they quickly die down to a few thousands that burn for days. This is where the industry damage seems to happen.
The alternative is to bomb each industry directly but the damage there is not permanent. It is limited to one point of repair per industry per day and uses 1000 supply for each, so later in the game it is pretty much the same as permanent damage. But early on the damage can be repaired.

I thought that when I did a "mouseover" on Rangoon that I noticed "oil", but perhaps not. But if Rangoon has no oil production and Magwe is in Allied hands, there isnt any oil flowing out of Burma at all is there ?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I thought that when I did a "mouseover" on Rangoon that I noticed "oil", but perhaps not. But if Rangoon has no oil production and Magwe is in Allied hands, there isnt any oil flowing out of Burma at all is there ?

There's a little in Ledo I think. I think it's the only other except for Magwe, but I don't recall every base.

My comments above about bombing oil were in general, not Rangoon-specific.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”