A future for CotD ?

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Rasputitsa

A future for CotD ?

Post by Rasputitsa »

Carl von Clausewitz

'Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult'.

Which is the test for any wargame, that the game system should be simple to use, but that the results and effects should be difficult to master. If it is not a challenge, then it's not worth playing, but the challenge should be in the strategy, not in making the game system work, as found in many other titles.

'Campaigns on the Danube' is an example of this principle in action, as a worthy title to be considered a great game.

So Frank and Matrix, don't let it end here, this game is worth so much more. [:)]

The 'Opponents Wanted' section is welcome and shows some commitment to the game, I don't use PBEM, but those that have tried report a bug.

tm.asp?m=4002268

AFAIK there has not been a response, so there is no point in an opponent, if PBEM is not functioning correctly.

Attachments
Clausewitz1.jpg
Clausewitz1.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 316 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
pzgndr

RE: A future for CotD ?

Post by pzgndr »

I would also like to see continued development of the COTD series and hear from Frank himself about his future plans.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

Yes it would be nice to hear some sort of news from Frank or Matrix regarding the series.
https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

all i can suggest is that you do as i have done and raise support items to query this with Matrix themselves, i have done this mentioned this is another thread but perhaps others can ask as well, it might get some more momentum going or may prompt to Frank to mention something - i hope he knows that there is a community there for this great game and series
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon
all i can suggest is that you do as i have done and raise support items to query this with Matrix themselves, i have done this mentioned this is another thread but perhaps others can ask as well, it might get some more momentum going or may prompt to Frank to mention something - i hope he knows that there is a community there for this great game and series

I was one of the people to post here on the tech support forum about not being able to play PBEM games. No response whatsoever from the dev or Matrix, no interest in seeing a save game, etc. so I decided not to waste more time with this one and buy/play games where the devs are more active.

Nothing against Frank, this game/series seems to have great potential, but if he's moved on with life then no problem, but I will do so as well.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

ah okay, no probs, i guess it really is that case that we cannot force the issue any more and just have to carry on and maybe someday something might just come out of the blue from Adanac once again
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon
ah okay, no probs, i guess it really is that case that we cannot force the issue any more and just have to carry on and maybe someday something might just come out of the blue from Adanac once again

We have made an enquiry though the Support Section and still hope for some reply. Up until v3.04, issues that were reported on this forum were dealt with and consequently the game works well against the AI.

The PBEM issue was put in as a support query, but has not been answered, even though an 'Opponents Section' was recently opened.

So the game has not been completely abandoned and there may yet still be hope, either way, the game still has great value.

It would nice to have some info and also to pass back that there is still some player interest, further development can only add to that interest. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

cool, i th7nk cotd is in a more or less great state too, i guess for me i am just eager to hear more about the next iteration
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

Still no news from Matrix or Frank it seems regarding the future situation of CotD [&:]
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Rush

Still no news from Matrix or Frank it seems regarding the future situation of CotD [&:]
Yup! still waiting, but hopeful, at least nobody has said NO yet. [:)]

AP514

Post by AP514 »

+1....a lot of Interest here also. Waiting
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Recognition

Post by Recognition »

I`m still enjoying CotD and .........WISHING FOR MORE[&:][:D]
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

There have been many distractions over Christmas and new releases, but nothing which matches the experience of CotD. I have allowed the faith to weaken, but am now getting back to the v3.04 AAR and hoping to post soon.[:D]

Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

It is about time that someone was "Frank"...Literally.

Any fix for the mp issues?

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

www.DogsofWarVu.com[/center]
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

Update on the update

I received word from Matrix that there will be no updates/fixes in the near future.

I would not hold out for anything long term but you never know.

Still a great game.

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

For many of us who support Frank Hunter and his games this is sad news. I always have seen a bit of genious in his game designs. He designs games in a way that no one else does and that I really do appreciate.

Frank, himself, has not had a comment on the forumns for a long bit now. He always has been too much of a solo programer. He never seemed to get much help and he must have liked it that way.

I would love to see more in this series and new Civil War game.
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

ORIGINAL: RCH

I would love to see more in this series and new Civil War game.

Agreed. [&o]

A fix for the mp issue in COTD would be great though.

Regards
[center]War in Pieces

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

It would be nice if Frank Hunter and Matrix would allow someone to help continue code development.  I've been doing this with Empires in Arms with Marshall Ellis.  It's challenging to take on somebody else's code and learn the applicable code language compiler and everything else, but it is still easier to make some edits and some improvements than it is to code from scratch.  I playtested Fortress Europa with Frank and I like his games.  If I wasn't busy enough with EIA then I might consider asking to help with COTD.  I would encourage anyone with some programming experience and interest to contact Frank and/or Matrix and see what they say.  Anything to keep code development going and help make these games better is a win-win for everyone.  It's such a damn shame to watch otherwise great games that are like 90% "there" cease development and slowly die.  But the good news is that Matrix has supported continued development for games like TOAW, JTCS and EIA.  Maybe we can add COTD to the list?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Asid2

Post by Asid2 »

We can live in hope that some kind soul will appear.

[:)]

[center]War in Pieces

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”