How the Game Plays...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

How the Game Plays...

Post by IBender »

I suspect this is covered somewhere, but I just dont see it. My question is this...

I would like to buy 2 copies of the game. One for My son and one for me. We want to play against each other. However, it is not clear to me how the game plays. Specifically ...how would he and I play against each other. (we live in different cities, so we wont sit at the same computer, we are in different cities)

If we play head to head, does one of us take allies and other axis? Or do we only play one nation at a time?

I am sure you get the idea of what I am trying to figure out here. Can someone explain in 'kid talk' how he and I would play against each other?

Thanks
warspite1

RE: How the Game Plays...

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

I suspect this is covered somewhere, but I just dont see it. My question is this...

I would like to buy 2 copies of the game. One for My son and one for me. We want to play against each other. However, it is not clear to me how the game plays. Specifically ...how would he and I play against each other. (we live in different cities, so we wont sit at the same computer, we are in different cities)

If we play head to head, does one of us take allies and other axis? Or do we only play one nation at a time?

I am sure you get the idea of what I am trying to figure out here. Can someone explain in 'kid talk' how he and I would play against each other?

Thanks
warspite1

In two player, one player is the Axis and one the Allies. But a player plays each power within his alliance individually within each phase of the impulse. So for example when its the Land Movement phase, the Allied player would move the CW, the French, the Chinese, the Soviets and the Americans (there is also an ability to move for example some CW, then some French and switch back to CW etc. When all movement is done you move on to the next phase.

Have a look at some of the AAR above for the mechanics of interaction. MWIF is a game where there will be plenty of need for you to interact during turns (can be one by e-mail, Skype etc) but not all the time.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
PeteGarnett

Post by PeteGarnett »

In more practical terms I find the best way to play remotely is to both install & use Teamviewer software, which is free for private use (there are other options I believe). One of you then hosts a session granting the other access & visibility to the host computer screen. Then the host starts the WiF software and sets up a hotseat game with one player as the Allies and one as the Axis.
You both see the same screen and use the same cursor. This works well as many of the game's phases are interactive - you flight some air strikes & next your opponent decides if he wants to fly his fighters to intercept. That can takes ages by emailing each other the game file.
The game has it's own option for playing like this (Netplay) but reading the forums it is still a test version I believe. What I describe above has proved successful for me to play several games against other players this year.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: PeteGarnett

In more practical terms....
warspite1

To be fair I think the majority of AAR's have been done without Teamviewer and have proven perfectly practical undertakings.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Both of the above are good explanations. NetPlay should be there soon (well, it is "there" but there are bugs) and offers the advantage of hiding US entry chit values, which otherwise in Solitaire or Hot Seat mode require the players to use the "Honor system". OTHOH if you are new to the game, you won't really care although you will need to learn how the system works or you might not get the US into the war!

So if you play using screen & mouse sharing programs (Teamviewer is good and is what I use, but there are others - even Skype offers that in addition to communication), I'd recommend using Solitaire mode and just taking turns when it is your "side"s move. Hot Seat just ends up requiring you to dismiss extra dialog boxes which say which side is up to move (and a lot of those aren't correct).

Warspite, you must be referring to Play by Email when you talk about "without Teamviewer", which IMO require a bit more explanation for Noobies.

Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Both of the above are good explanations. NetPlay should be there soon (well, it is "there" but there are bugs) and offers the advantage of hiding US entry chit values, which otherwise in Solitaire or Hot Seat mode require the players to use the "Honor system". OTHOH if you are new to the game, you won't really care although you will need to learn how the system works or you might not get the US into the war!

So if you play using screen & mouse sharing programs (Teamviewer is good and is what I use, but there are others - even Skype offers that in addition to communication), I'd recommend using Solitaire mode and just taking turns when it is your "side"s move. Hot Seat just ends up requiring you to dismiss extra dialog boxes which say which side is up to move (and a lot of those aren't correct).

Warspite, you must be referring to Play by Email when you talk about "without Teamviewer", which IMO require a bit more explanation for Noobies.
warspite1

Yes, as per post 2 I am talking about e-mail and I referenced the AAR's. Happy to answer any questions on that that the OP has.

IBender

Post by IBender »

Thank you guys this has been helpful. I will be picking up 2 copies. Looking forward to this.
IBender

Post by IBender »

I am going to buy to copies of the game. Perhaps you guys can clarify something for me as I dont want to make a mistake. If I buy the game and upgrade to the box edition...am I reading it right that the cost to upgrade is $0 ? Also is the boxed upgrade the only way to get the manuals in book format?

Thanks
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

I am going to buy to copies of the game. Perhaps you guys can clarify something for me as I dont want to make a mistake. If I buy the game and upgrade to the box edition...am I reading it right that the cost to upgrade is $0 ? Also is the boxed upgrade the only way to get the manuals in book format?

Thanks
Yes.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”