TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

July/August is guaranteed to a be a long sunny turn. In the Med, Sep/Oct will partially be as well. Even in Nov/Dec the sun might shine in the Med.

In China, consider that historically in 1944, after four years of American training, assistance and arms shipments, the Japanese launched an offensive against the Nationalists and proceeded to capture thousands of square miles in a total route, over-running the American air bases being used to bomb Japan and other Pacific targets. The Chinese took all that American aid and stored it in caves for the upcoming Chinese Civil War. They knew the USA would trounce Japan and they saw no reason to waste their energies on that inevitable result. If you play without Attack Weakness, most games will see the Japanese pushed out of China entirely and fighting a Chinese navy and air force in the Pacific, if not Chinese ground troops actually invading Japan. We extend Attack Weakness at home games to the Chinese Communists as well - the famous 7th Rte Army peaked at an historical strength of only 10,000 men during WWII, but in WiF is a counter even-up with Japanese counters representing 50,000 men. Even with Attack Weakness, eventually the Chinese have enough mass to make 1:1 attacks and steadily push the Japanese back anyway.

China is doing very well in this particular game.
It is just that I thought that last winter was warm and very, very, long. Therefore I now feel it should be a cold, stormy, short winter.

---

In most games I played the Chinese has been conquered. And the majority of those games were without the attack weakness. Although I must confess that I am unsure how the new map scale affects things in China.

However, my main concern about the attack weakness is more about how the Chinese - Japanese war plays out. With the attack weakness there is to little 'incentive' for the Nationalist Chinese to counterattack before the Japanese goes on the defensive. The Chinese is forced to become more passive. Japan can take risks with less to fear.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: brian brian

July/August is guaranteed to a be a long sunny turn. In the Med, Sep/Oct will partially be as well. Even in Nov/Dec the sun might shine in the Med.

In China, consider that historically in 1944, after four years of American training, assistance and arms shipments, the Japanese launched an offensive against the Nationalists and proceeded to capture thousands of square miles in a total route, over-running the American air bases being used to bomb Japan and other Pacific targets. The Chinese took all that American aid and stored it in caves for the upcoming Chinese Civil War. They knew the USA would trounce Japan and they saw no reason to waste their energies on that inevitable result. If you play without Attack Weakness, most games will see the Japanese pushed out of China entirely and fighting a Chinese navy and air force in the Pacific, if not Chinese ground troops actually invading Japan. We extend Attack Weakness at home games to the Chinese Communists as well - the famous 7th Rte Army peaked at an historical strength of only 10,000 men during WWII, but in WiF is a counter even-up with Japanese counters representing 50,000 men. Even with Attack Weakness, eventually the Chinese have enough mass to make 1:1 attacks and steadily push the Japanese back anyway.

China is doing very well in this particular game.
It is just that I thought that last winter was warm and very, very, long. Therefore I now feel it should be a cold, stormy, short winter.

---

In most games I played the Chinese has been conquered. And the majority of those games were without the attack weakness. Although I must confess that I am unsure how the new map scale affects things in China.

However, my main concern about the attack weakness is more about how the Chinese - Japanese war plays out. With the attack weakness there is to little 'incentive' for the Nationalist Chinese to counterattack before the Japanese goes on the defensive. The Chinese is forced to become more passive. Japan can take risks with less to fear.
warspite1

Right Ormster the decision has been made. We pass with all (we cannot reorganise anything and there is insufficient moves (apart from an air rebase) to make this worthwhile. Do you agree?

Now all we have to do is roll a '1'.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

You are wrong that we can not reorganize anything.

The Spanish HQ can reorganize the Spanish Corps in Gibraltar.

And if CW bring one more TRS/LIN to Cape St. Vincent then the two TRS can reorganize one unit as well.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

And we do not need to roll a one. If all pass it is three or less. If all but CW pass it is two or less.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

And if CW bring one more TRS/LIN to Cape St. Vincent then the two TRS can reorganize one unit as well.
warspite1

I just tried it and he needed more re-org points than he has?? What have I done wrong?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

And we do not need to roll a one. If all pass it is three or less. If all but CW pass it is two or less.
warspite1

I know - I am being superstitious

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I just tried it and he needed more re-org points than he has?? What have I done wrong?
I selected a combined and then it takes the two points he has to reorganize the Spanish Corps. No idea why it doesn't work for you.

Attachments
276.jpg
276.jpg (240.02 KiB) Viewed 23 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

And in a combined the two TRS/Liners do the trick with the division. No more disorganized units in Gibraltar. But there is a risk with naval combat before this part can be done. If we try that is.

Attachments
277.jpg
277.jpg (294.64 KiB) Viewed 23 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I selected a combined and then it takes the two points he has to reorganize the Spanish Corps. No idea why it doesn't work for you.

warspite1

Well I don't understand - the Spanish unit had a 3 under it.....

Having no disorganised units in Gib is so important - especially as we can then get the Whirlwind down to Morocco. As you say the downside is we my get slaughtered.....

Your decision but I think a risk worth taking.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Well I don't understand - the Spanish unit had a 3 under it.....
That's weird. [&:] [:(]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Your decision but I think a risk worth taking.
I was leaning towards making the impulse myself. More based on the belief that I never succeed in passing the end of the turn. [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

So do we play the other nations as well or do we pass with all but CW?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So do we play the other nations as well or do we pass with all but CW?
warspite1

We pass with all others (provided you are comfortable with China) and then take a deep breath and hope.....

Orm

Post by Orm »

Ok. Then we have a plan of action. [:)]

I'll begin the impulse shortly. I just have to brew some tea first.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ok. Then we have a plan of action. [:)]

I'll begin the impulse shortly. I just have to brew some tea first.
warspite1

I am going to watch CSKA vs Spurs but will come back:

a) at half-time
b) when we go 2-0 behind

whichever is earliest.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Well, that went well. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well, that went well. [:)]
warspite1

Yes - very unexpected. We did our usual, 60-70% possession but nothing in front of goal to show for it (and the opposition looking dangerous whenever they got into our half) but Mr Son got another goal this evening to put us back into contention.

Orm

Post by Orm »

I take the liberty at placing a offensive chit for USSR and moving a chit as well.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

This was what I saw yesterday btw

But when I clicked on Franco - it changed to 2!

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (246.75 KiB) Viewed 23 times

Orm

Post by Orm »

The cost for CW to reorganize a Spanish unit is double. Hence the 4. For Spain it is two.

Edit: This of course depends on impulse type as well.

Return to “After Action Report”